Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NewTek Introduces TriCaster™ 40

NewTek Product Marketing

Arrow NewTek Introduces TriCaster™ 40

NewTek today introduces TriCaster™ 40—a turnkey, desktop video production studio that creates a new entry point for broadcasters and producers who need full-resolution, HD, multi-camera live production and streaming capabilities, at a breakthrough price. The easy-to-operate, integrated, desktop system is the first to offer such a comprehensive set of real-time video production capabilities for under $5,000 (US).

To view the announcement: CLICK HERE

To learn all about TriCaster 40: CLICK HERE
    Jason Pruett
    Product Marketing Associate
    NewTek Inc.

No SDI?

Very nice to see Newtek re-enter the marketplace for smaller studios.

So many of the small cameras now have HDMI out, it would have been nice to have a HDMI input. But I think for the marketplace that are looking for a 3 camera solution this is pretty close to perfect.

Todd
    Todd Cochrane
    @geeknews
    [email protected]
    http://geeknewscentral.com

TriCaster: TC1 / 860 AE / Mini AE

You're right?? No SDI?? In the current day and age, HDMI and/or SDI are common use, even in this 5000USD market ...

I took it for granted, untill I saw your post ...

Plenty of alternatives: ATEM, Panasonic, Broadcast Pix, ...

Quote Originally Posted by jandw View Post
    You're right?? No SDI?? In the current day and age, HDMI and/or SDI are common use, even in this 5000USD market ...
    Actually, I disagree. From what I've seen, the majority of those in the target market for this unit are nowhere near buying a camera with SDI output, much less several of them. And most of the entry level 'competition' (if we can call it that, since they generally lack many of TC's features) is SDI only - no analog, which is very limiting.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

At LAST. I can't keep a secret very well and I got to see this when I visited NewTek in June.

If you must transmit in SDI, get some BMD SDI to analog converters (about $1,200 for 4, I think) and output component.

Still a great deal and welcome return to the smaller market users!
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

If I would have known this a few months ago, I would have waited on building the portable solution that I did.

Until I can see some pictures of the guts of this thing, I am not sure I would trust having this go in a kit that would be checked luggage..

Some cringe at the thoughts of checking any electronics, but I really have no choice based on how often I am on the move to different gigs.

Todd.
    Todd Cochrane
    @geeknews
    [email protected]
    http://geeknewscentral.com

TriCaster: TC1 / 860 AE / Mini AE

Also I noticed another discrepency. On Studio Tech's preview, it says no hardware controller, however on the video preview on Newtek's site, it said hardware controller optional. Can someone clarify this?

Quote Originally Posted by kricher View Post
    Also I noticed another discrepency.
    What was the first one?

On Studio Tech's preview, it says no hardware controller, however on the video preview on Newtek's site, it said hardware controller optional. Can someone clarify this?
    There is a control surface designed specifically for TriCaster 40. It is an optional purchase.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

We are incredibly proud of TriCaster 40 here at NewTek. It has been a secret project for years aimed at one primary goal: bringing the capabilities offered by our very latest technology down to a lower price point than it has ever been (especially considering inflation!). When we started this project out primary goal was how to make it something amazing. Everything else (including how it fits into our own product line) was a non issue. We see this product as much more than simply a 'higher value TriCaster'. We want to bring the ability to make truly professional looking video, both on and off the web, to a whole new range of people . If you think about it, you could buy this just as a virtual sets box - even for that limited application it blows everything else away; or as a DDR ... let alone when you consider everything it brings together as a integrated live production device.

This is my non official 2c's on inputs, connector types, life and the universe in general:

When you design a product you are faced with a myriad of decisions and problems to work out. Finding the correct type of connectors and connection types is a big one, and we spent a lot (and I really mean a LOT) of time looking into and talking to people about. We really looked at all of the options.
    • SDI is obviously great if you are in the professional space .... but we want this to work for bloggers, schools, churches; frankly a single SDI camera would set them back as much as we wanted to be able to sell this product for, much less 4 of them!

• HDMI was a serious contender, but has some major drawbacks. First, HDMI connectors are non-locking, and almost seem designed to fall out. Second, cables cannot be run any real distance, and are still quite expensive. For even a medium-sized room, you cannot just run cables across the floor when setting up doing a 4 camera shoot. Typcially, you need to go around walls and over doors. Even a small conference room is going to need 50ft of cabling per camera at least and this is prohibitive for HDMI. HDMI also has HDCP issues that are almost impossible to work out for many users.

There are also a lot of cameras with HDMI output that do not work in live mode (providing only tape-playback), and there is no real way to look at their specifications and know whether a particular device works or not (go to Best Buy and enjoy the blank stares when you ask someone about this!). You can of course use HDMI extender boxes (e.g. through ethernet cables); but these are non-standard, require a box on both ends, or special cabling that might be hit and miss, along with introducing more inline connections - asking for trouble.

• Analog. For most people currently entry level live production, this seems to be the best approach by far. Cabling is a non-issue both in terms of reliability, length and cost. Connectors are locking. All cameras we looked at (even the latest) continue to have component outputs. Even if you do have a particular need for HDMI, HDMI->Component converter boxes are less than $30 online, and only need a box on one end of the cable. Last and certainly not least, lots of people that we think want to produce video have older cameras they can use (even as secondary cameras). If we went HDMI or SDI we would be forcing them to buy all new cameras. This would be a real burden, actually impossible for many schools, churches, etc., to meet).

Our mission was to make a product that that just works for everyone wanting to make amazing looking video today, but who could not afford to until now. We strongly beleive that this is what we have achieved. This also explains why TriCaster is an integrated solution, not one requiring you to purchase your own computer, add working connectors to it, then forcing you to debug drive performance issues, DPC latency issues, etc., etc., etc.)

NewTek has always been about revolutionizing markets, and we strongly believe that TriCaster 40 does that.

Andrew Cross, Ph.D
    CTO. NewTek
    www.NewTek.com

I mis spoke. The No-SDI option is not a discrepency. Personally I understand the reasoning of not including SDI but I'm disappointed. It seems like SDI is more compatible than component video for HD video but on the other hand it is nice to have the analog option for those of us in transition. I am looking to assemble an HD four camera PTZ system that simply records and switches and this is overkill for what I need. I also require long cable runs over HD.

It seems like SDI is more compatible than component video for HD video but on the other hand it is nice to have the analog option for those of us in transition.
    I think you'll find that the great majority of 'affordable' HD cams support component. (At the entry level it will generally be component and HDMI, not SDI).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

*****istrator

Super excited!

I want to chime in here, because I absolutely love the TriCaster 40. To me, this product is like the original Video Toaster. By that I mean that it has the potential to bring in a lot of new people into live production and web streaming. I started off in this business selling Amiga/Video solutions even before the Video Toaster came out (I guess that shows my age) and I remember very well visiting every single high school in Santa Clara County (over 50 at the time) hauling about 100 lbs of gear into classrooms (an Amiga 2000, a CRT monitor, a Digital Creations SuperGen, a Panasonic AG 450 camera, tripod, and all kinds of cables, connectors, keyboard and mouse etc.) It usually took me 2-3 trips back and forth to my car. But, it was all worth to see the amazed looks on peoples faces; and seeing their jaws drop open. I experience that same feeling when I show people all the cool things that a TriCaster can do.

Over the years since we shipped the first TriCaster in 2005, we've packed more and more features and functionality into each new model, and the price has gone up and up. This has been really good for our more advanced, higher end customers, but it doesn't feel quite the same as it feels when you bring somebody new into live production; when you give somebody the technology that allows them to do something they weren't able to do before; when they are able fulfill their own dreams and produce their own shows.

That's a magical feeling that NewTek has felt many times before. Starting with Tim Jenison's first product Digi-View, and then of course the Video Toaster, and then LightWave 3D and now TriCaster. That's why a lot of us were attracted to NewTek in the first place and that is why I am so excited about the TriCaster 40.

Personally, I believe every school, every business and every church should have at least one TriCaster. There's just so many amazing things you can do with it. Our higher end models might be out of reach for a lot of those places, but not the TC 40.

I hope you will help us spread the word!

Jim Plant
    President & CEO
    NewTek, Inc.

UK based Live Production
    This is a good add-on for sure. From a company owner point of view, I will see more people arrive with Tricaster experiences on the low-end models in years to come and that must be a good thing. the Video Toaster many years ago was something I saw and built my business into and this fills a niche area.

Many of us on this forum will probably not buy it but the forum will get busier.

Quote Originally Posted by adebats View Post
    ... the forum will get busier.

Well, just to keep it interesting for those who already have, for example, a 455 or 855 ... consider this: what single unit other than TriCaster 40 can you buy for about the price of one SDI camera to provide a full 4 input failover HD production system that will not only keep you up and running in a case of catastrophic failure, but can use the same graphics, titles, etc., you rely on, and even maintain your productions LiveSets (and streaming capability)?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast