Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gradient banding problem

Gradient banding problem

Hi all,

I have just returned to lightwave use after several years off.

I'm suffering from banding in gradients in my. I have quite an old duel xeon system running 32 bit XP pro, a Nvidia quadro 980xl graphics card, I used to use an NEC crt monitor on this system and the renders displyed fine without banding. but now I'm using a pair of dell 2007wfp ultrasharp monitors, I have no idea if this makes a difference.

Or is my system just out of date?

Also getting banding in gradients in ps, so not really unique to LW.

anyway any help would be much appreciated.

tks Rich

TrueArt Support
    You are not saying what LW version..

But do you have Dithering option turned on in Effects > Processing?

Hi Sensi

I'm using LW 7.5, but have also installed the demo of v11 and the same problems in both.

I would have tried the dithering option you suggest but the problem seems to be with gradients in ps as well as lw I think its more and issue with my system than software. Sorry if i have posted an inappropiate thread in lw support forum.

cheer Rich

Could be your monitor. It's possible that your new lcd panel just isn't showing gradients as smoothly as your old crt. Do you know what kind of panel type the 2007wfp has, TN or IPS? I've noticed that gradients look great on my IPS lcd screen at my workstation but often look terrible on my laptop screen (banding).

Have you installed a color profile for your monitors? If so, remove it and set it to srbg.

Quote Originally Posted by gravin View Post
    Could be your monitor. It's possible that your new lcd panel just isn't showing gradients as smoothly as your old crt. Do you know what kind of panel type the 2007wfp has, TN or IPS? I've noticed that gradients look great on my IPS lcd screen at my workstation but often look terrible on my laptop screen (banding).
    Hi I'm not very techy, but a quick google search has releaved the widscreen versions, which I have use an ips panel. these monitors are my home office, I'm currently at work and a graditent in ps looks great. (I dont have lw installed here), so I beggining to think its my system/monitors that could be the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 3DGFXStudios View Post
    Have you installed a color profile for your monitors? If so, remove it and set it to srbg.
    Hmmm as far as know the monitors are just a default setting, I'll load up srgb tonight when i get home as see if that helps.

cheers.

How about posting a screen grab?

here you go, the banding is very noticeable in the top 1/3 of this gradient.

tks for all your help so far.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gradient.jpg 
Views:	1518 
Size:	603.4 KB 
ID:	106572  

ex-LightWave documentation BeeVee's Avatar
    It's definitely your monitor because there is absolutely no banding for me in that image - you're not running in 16-bit are you?

B
    Ben Vost
    LightWave 3D Docs wiki
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 456.71, 2x4K 23.5" monitors
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

"OH NO!", Joseph Joestar ncr100's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Looks beautifully smooth to me on my laptop display - terrible on my laptop's external monitor - same computer, different LCD panel hardware.
    -Nick
    audio: Ö ¤ Py

What's your GPU card?
    The Blog ~ The Vimeo
    "Bring'n Your Fantasy To Life!™"

Yep, looks pretty bad on my iPad 3 at high res (2048x1536)

It sounds like you just have a more typical 8bit monitor. 10bit monitors provide smoother gradients because they have more colors to use. 10bit color depth has a 1.07 billion color palette as opposed to an 8bit color depth of 16.7 million colors. 90% of most monitors are 8bit because they are cheaper to manufacture. The higher quality IPS or PVA/MVA type panels are not nessesarily 10bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich1969 View Post
    here you go, the banding is very noticeable in the top 1/3 of this gradient.

tks for all your help so far.
    It would be better to post this as a PNG. Anyway on my Dell 3011 monitor calibrated with a Spyder 3 elite it's ok.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast