Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can you turn the hub off?

Brain dead, but here...

can you turn the hub off?

Does anyone know how to turn the Hub off on the Mac. I'm on OS 10.2 with LW 7.5. I'm getting pissed. I believe that it is the cause of crashing with a couple of plug-ins that I have including Saskwatch.

Thanks.
    Arlen
    Cheers!
    Arlen
    ----------------------------------
    Fabmedia Studios
    print, interactive, & motion media design

My Blog

I don't use OSX but check this page they have lost fo mac OSX LW tips
    http://www.exch.demon.co.uk/

Yes, open the lightwave and modeler cmd files in the program folder, and just type " -0 " in each one and save them. It makes everything much more stable.

To be specific, make sure the first line of your Modeler cmdLine and Lightwave cmdLine file is
    there may be other things in the file, like a preferences directory path, that must come AFTER the -0
    "One of the things we really have to impress upon people is that it is never good to be fed on by a blood-sucking insect"
    Dr. Anthony Marfin, CDC

I've never had any trouble with the HUB, but then again I hate using SasLite so..
    What's all this about added stability?
    You know you've been learning 3D for too long when you start seeing in procedurals...

Many people have reported instability in the get/put functions via the hub, leading to an application crash. All the other hub "functions" like autosave don't work anyway, so why allow the application processor cycles it doesn't utilize and can't really take advantage of?

If you have never had any issues with the hub running, and you utilize the get/put functions often enough to keep it running, then by all means, keep it running. Otherwise, there really is no advantage to using the hub.
    "One of the things we really have to impress upon people is that it is never good to be fed on by a blood-sucking insect"
    Dr. Anthony Marfin, CDC

Pixel realestate agent
    Fabmedia did disabling the hub work for u?
    I have the same prob with sas full, it keeps telling me missing dongle error..

Pixel realestate agent
    Just tried it and sasquatch full still wont load, gives me some kinda message about error didnt recognise dongle please contact worley..
    I guess this is what i get for buying packages from ebay? Could afford much so i had no choise, can anyone help, its asking for some sort of serial? i have the dongle pluged in.

I don't have sasquatch but I think it needs a code connected to your dongle just like lightwave. Contact worley about it.

Brain dead, but here...

ahhhh

Wow look what I started...

Yes Sasquatch's serial number is connected to the dongle. But I haven't figured out where to put the "-0". I do crash a lot, and my best guess is because of the hub. Something is really weird. I'll go a while without crashing, then crash all the time. I think it has something to do with memory issues like how many applications you have running. I have noticed that if I have Photoshop running at the same time, LW has a tendancy to crash more often. But most of the time it's just Modeler and LW. It would be nice to disable and enable the hub via a checkbox but I really don't think that that will ever happen. I like the fact that Modeler and LW "communicate" everyonce in a while. It saves a lot of hassle, but with the amount of crashing that I've been having lately, I'd like to see if it makes a difference.

Now the LW and Modeler CMDLine file, I've not been able to find that on my Mac (OS X by the way). where is it located and what line do I change?

Arlen
    Cheers!
    Arlen
    Fabmedia Studios

My Blog

They should be in the same program folder that the modeler and lightwave applications are in, if they are not there, just create text files with those names

LightWave cmdLine

Modeler cmdLine

make sure they are text, but with no .txt extension on the end

There is a simple solution, just move the Hub out of the program folder. Thats how it works for me on X10.2, why should i use a functionless software.

Brain dead, but here...

works well

I've done it and no Hub. I actually see a bit of a performance difference on start up. So I have two other questions...

1. where did you get your model of the iMac and is there a G4 model out there...
    and
    2. does anyone know about any future release of LW and when it may be coming out?

Arlen
    Cheers!
    Arlen
    Fabmedia Studios

My Blog

I made the model myself (took forever)

See my thread here... http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthre...s=&threadid=54

I had heard there was supposed to be an update before last Christmas, I'm hoping for something any time now.

Most of the time I have the Hub off because when it does lose sync between Layout and Modeler it starts to screw up the Prefs files. Yesterday it added some bogus information into my Hub Prefs for no good reason. (I usually lose sync with large morphmixed objects, interestingly..)

However, it is absolutely indispensible when I'm making geometry for Front Projections - just being able to click from Modeler on one screen to Layout on another to see the impact a little bit of point pulling is having is vital. I hate going back to change, object replace for this sort of stuff.

Now, if someone would just write a simple AppleScript with AppleScript Studio to quickly insert/remove a -0 at the beginning of the Modeler and Layout cmdlines everything would be so much easier. Heck, I wonder if it's LScriptable..

Julian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast