Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AutoDesk policy

AutoDesk policy

you cannot sell your 3DSMax copy (or xSI, Maya)

you have to have a subscription in order to avoid "penalty" cost

if you skip an upgrade you cannot upgrade, you are forced to buy the new full license

upgrade cost is high

render nodes cost extra

things to consider,
    plugins for AD might be expensive and further plugin support is not guaranteed.

(is the above correct?)

 
    Last edited by erikals; 08-14-2012 at 12:05 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Actually, the entire above info could be condensed into the following term:

KA-CHING!
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

(is the above correct?)

i think this went to court.....
    guy was selling autocad, and autodesk said he couln't....but i believe he won in court....

but yes it is autodesk policy, and even the law and justice does not think its fair

as far as i know AD "fixed" that now buy printing some small text on the back of the package.
    he won't be able to do it again...
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

if you skip an upgrade you cannot upgrade, you are forced to buy the new full license
     
    ... yeah that makes sense I buy a Pirate 01 Leggo set (trying real hard to stay away from cars) ... forgo the 02 Johnny Depp & Orlando options that come bundled in the next release ... then when I choose to "upgrade" to set 03 I'm slogged for the full set yet again. That's not customer policy, that's Dick Turpin (= highway robbery)

upgrade cost is high

render nodes cost extra

things to consider,
    plugins for AD might be expensive and further plugin support is not guaranteed.

(is the above correct?)

They call their legal customers to accuse them of being filthy pirates.

If a student bought the student version of one of their programs, they cannot upgrade it to the commercial version, they can only upgrade to a full suite that they may not need for around $3500.

If the program the student wants is SI, there is no standard suite for you, only option is to upgrade get a premium suite for almost $5000!

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Their 'policy' might seem unfair but it's common knowledge and it's the buyer/owner's responsibility to ensure that they agree to the policy before using the software. Basically, if you don't like it then look elsewhere. I don't understand why we need another thread going over how bad Autodesk is...I don't like their company, I don't use the products, I don't get angry about it.

above the ecuator, then, on the right, but not too much
    one Q :

is it that really hard for AD users to stop upgrading ? to boycot for few years ?

as a suggestion it might be better save their original copies in safe places . =)

what might look a nightmare about the future wd be the extreme scenario of an actual license not working when new version is available .. well , actually this doesnt bother me personally since i do not have any , but when i try to imagine how many people are 'dependent' to those tools ..... man ! Thats Scary !

.cheers

In europe you can ALWAYS sell your bought software now. There's a new law for this.

Quote Originally Posted by COBRASoft View Post
    In europe you can ALWAYS sell your bought software now. There's a new law for this.
    Actually, you always could with Autodesk, but you need to comply to some rather strict rules, and you pay a transfer fee ( 1000 euros ) and a new subscription fee ( 800 or 1200 euros )

Also, it's not only Autodesk that is to blame here, it's the colleges and universities as well, they should not just focus on a single piece of software by the largest and market dominating company. If you graduate and you want to start on your own you can't be expected to just buy a new software program and take a half year of to teach yourself a new program.
    I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious. - Albert Einstein
    visit my company site : House of Secrets
    visit my personal site : svenneve.com

above the ecuator, then, on the right, but not too much
    if they offer free lics to schools , then .. it is up to schools ( which orients the artists' generations , somehow ' dictating ' the way ) to reconsider the future of their students . if learning a software is Knowledge , why not offer the possibility .. and let the student choose .

if that isnt going to change , maybe there is a way which student should put pressure to schools to not have only That option . somehow they have that right . No ?? esp these days and the tendency of days ahead ..

also other 3Dapp-makers should offer absolutely for free their lics . absolutely ! Im saying this mostly considering they offer it as an Knowledge , from which many people 's investment and life will depend somehow .

maybe real laws should enter in game ..

.cheers

I don't think schools are going to change until they need to. Schools are a business and their interest is making money, not making sure you're getting the best education possible, no matter what the PR person for a school says. And they've been doing this quite well for a long time. But schools are also making themselves irrelevant. The industry is changing underneath them and they will start to vanish like Blockbuster.

Quote Originally Posted by chazriker View Post
    Actually, the entire above info could be condensed into the following term:

KA-CHING!

LOL I love that!

I actually use maya for fluids simulations and such. I have been buying older lightwave videos on Hypervoxels and such to see if I can just use lightwave but man, hypervoxels are a whole new beast.

The bottom line is that AD sucks.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast