Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: whats the best output format settings for BluRay?

  1. #1
    Registered User tonyvdb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    229

    whats the best output format settings for BluRay?

    Ok so I finished my project from a short vacation to the mountains. What is the best render format that I should select on SE2 to use on a BluRay in HD?
    All of the video was shot on a Panasonic HDC TM900 camera all in HD with 5.1 sound.

    Thanks
    SpeedEdit2
    Dell XPS8300 i7 core AMD6700 graphics 12gb ram
    LG BluRay burrner
    Amiga 4000D VT Flyer in tower
    JVC Digital S BR-D85U
    Sony EVO9850, Panasonic AG7150

  2. #2
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    London, England, UK
    Posts
    1,081
    Blog Entries
    18
    Ooh Ooh. I have that camera.

    warning!!!
    I haven't really had a chance to get that deep into it's settings, but I'm curious to know how you've found it's image quality when viewed on an HD display.

    Have you tried out all the recording modes and seen what they look like with the camera hooked up directly to an HDTV? Were there any real noticeable differences in them?

    Ended

    To answer your question about which is the best render format.

    Without doubt the best, simplest and most sure fire render format to output from SE (or any editor) is for you to use any uncompressed codec format. Then let the Blu-Ray authoring software render from that.

    The downside is uncompressed files are HUGE and the Blu-Ray authoring takes some time to complete.

    There are other codecs you can use but just be aware there will always be time spent tweaking the settings to find the quality that suits your tastes, then there's the file's compatibility with the authoring software, not to mention the number of Blu-Ray discs that will be wasted on tests. Also a factor, is the quality that'll be lost when rendering out to a lossy codec then rendering again to a chosen codec that your authoring software creates.

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Caribbean
    Posts
    484

    Yeah, but...

    You don't have to burn a BluRay and waste something like 5 bucks a pop in testing. You can render to a directory and then play it. Or save it on a stick and put it in the Blu-Ray players USB port and play it off stick - most BluRay players support playback off USB stick these days.

  4. #4

    b ray

    Use bloo ray re-writeables for testing.
    Pete
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    London, England, UK
    Posts
    1,081
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Mutley Eugenius View Post
    You don't have to burn a BluRay and waste something like 5 bucks a pop in testing. You can render to a directory and then play it. Or save it on a stick and put it in the Blu-Ray players USB port and play it off stick - most BluRay players support playback off USB stick these days.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Draves View Post
    Use bloo ray re-writeables for testing.
    Pete
    Yup. Both are very good suggestions.

  6. #6
    Registered User tonyvdb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Ooh Ooh. I have that camera.

    warning!!!
    I haven't really had a chance to get that deep into it's settings, but I'm curious to know how you've found it's image quality when viewed on an HD display.

    Have you tried out all the recording modes and seen what they look like with the camera hooked up directly to an HDTV? Were there any real noticeable differences in them?

    Ended
    So far I love the Panasonic. Playback directly to an HD display looks great. I use the HA1920 recording mode (the highest other than using the 1080/60p mode) are you not happy with how it looks?

    I did a project of the trip to Jasper national park to both DVD and BluRay the rendered DVD looks fantastic however the Bluray turned out lousy and Im not sure why, it does not play smoothly so it is hard to watch Im not sure what I did wrong at this point. Also the 5.1 audio did not work and it only plays stereo. This is all a bit new to me Im still used to SD and using my old Amiga with the Video Toaster Flyer.
    SpeedEdit2
    Dell XPS8300 i7 core AMD6700 graphics 12gb ram
    LG BluRay burrner
    Amiga 4000D VT Flyer in tower
    JVC Digital S BR-D85U
    Sony EVO9850, Panasonic AG7150

  7. #7
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    London, England, UK
    Posts
    1,081
    Blog Entries
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyvdb View Post
    So far I love the Panasonic. Playback directly to an HD display looks great. I use the HA1920 recording mode (the highest other than using the 1080/60p mode) are you not happy with how it looks?
    I used the same mode at a wedding I shot earlier this year, but I set mine to full auto. When I got the results into SE and burned the DVD, I wasn't that impressed with the colour reproduction of the skin tones and the overall image sharpness. I kind of looked like the Mpeg compression was a little too harsh on the 40" HDTV it was displayed on.

    I'm certain this compression issue was more due to the fact that although shot in HD, the video was downscaled to SD then stretched up to fill an HDTV screen. I doubt the DVD player used had any upscaling technology.

    At that time I hadn't actually connected the video camera directly to an HDTV to test (since I didn't have one at the time), so I wasn't able to compare the results of the edited footed to the source footage.

    I'm kinda thinking that my DVD authoring software probably wasn't all that great either (Windows DVD Maker. I know, I know, I've got to get a better one).

    Quote Originally Posted by tonyvdb View Post
    I did a project of the trip to Jasper national park to both DVD and BluRay the rendered DVD looks fantastic however the Bluray turned out lousy and Im not sure why, it does not play smoothly so it is hard to watch Im not sure what I did wrong at this point. Also the 5.1 audio did not work and it only plays stereo. This is all a bit new to me Im still used to SD and using my old Amiga with the Video Toaster Flyer.
    Re: the 5.1, there's two possibilities I can think of.
    1. 5.1 sound on the TM900 may only be heard if you connect the camera directly to a 5.1 compatible AV amplifier
    2. If you connect an external mic to the TM900 it will only record in stereo or if you have MIC SETUP set to STEREO it'll only record in stereo.


    For possibility number one, I say, may, because I don't know if the recorded 5.1 sound in the file will work without the TM900. It seems a bit stupid for it not to, but then I think it's stupid that the only way you can see full 1080p footage in all it's glory is when the TM900 is connected directly to the HDTV. The footage files cannot be used for editing with any other software other than the one it comes with. The file format just isn't compatible. It has to be transcoded to something else.

    Nice one Panasonic.

    I'm gonna try a few tests in the future and see what this baby can really do.

  8. #8
    Registered User tonyvdb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    229
    Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    I'm certain this compression issue was more due to the fact that although shot in HD, the video was downscaled to SD then stretched up to fill an HDTV screen. I doubt the DVD player used had any upscaling technology.

    I'm kinda thinking that my DVD authoring software probably wasn't all that great either (Windows DVD Maker. I know, I know, I've got to get a better one).
    I suspect that is the issue There are not many DVD players that do a great job of up scaling a video to 1080i The OPPO and the Panasonic line are known to be the better ones.


    Re: the 5.1, there's two possibilities I can think of.
    1. 5.1 sound on the TM900 may only be heard if you connect the camera directly to a 5.1 compatible AV amplifier
    2. If you connect an external mic to the TM900 it will only record in stereo or if you have MIC SETUP set to STEREO it'll only record in stereo.


    For possibility number one, I say, may, because I don't know if the recorded 5.1 sound in the file will work without the TM900. It seems a bit stupid for it not to, but then I think it's stupid that the only way you can see full 1080p footage in all it's glory is when the TM900 is connected directly to the HDTV. The footage files cannot be used for editing with any other software other than the one it comes with. The file format just isn't compatible. It has to be transcoded to something else.
    To get the footage off the camera to the PC yes you have to use there software however once its on the PC the files can be used with most editing software. I edit all of mine in Speed Edit and have no problems loading the clips.
    As far as the 5.1 audio when the clips are in Speed edit I can see the 4 separate audio tracks (not sure why only 4) in the timeline so I m not sure whats up there.
    SpeedEdit2
    Dell XPS8300 i7 core AMD6700 graphics 12gb ram
    LG BluRay burrner
    Amiga 4000D VT Flyer in tower
    JVC Digital S BR-D85U
    Sony EVO9850, Panasonic AG7150

  9. #9
    Multimedia Magician
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Washington DC
    Posts
    282
    I get excellent Blu-ray results by rendering using 1080/60 SpeedEditHQ. I have a lot of clients that want both DVD and Blu-ray. I use tmpng 4.0 to master both. Using the same rendered files, it creates really nice Blu-ray output, but also takes the same files and scales them down to make excellent DVD masters.

    I hope that helps.

    For Cameras, we use Panasonic HPX500 cameras, each with 4 P2 cards (64gig). I am very pleased with the results from camera all the way to deliverables.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •