Thread: SE2 Crashes randomly

SE2 Crashes randomly

Hi everyone. I am trying to remain positive but my faith in Speed edit is fading.
    After upgrading to the latest version (2.5) I first had issues as non of the transitions DVEs or effects were in their folders and others have also had this problem. So I did a full reinstall and made a backup of those folders before I upgraded to the final version and then copied them back over.

So now my new problem is I am trying to work on a 30 min project with multiple video clips and I have had it crash speed edit at least 6 times in one night!
    The final time it crashed I was just clicking on the "save" button so now Ive lost the entire project as it wont load any more Grrrrrrrr

When speed edit crashes is simply exits to the desktop without warning.

I am using a brand new Dell XPS system with an i7 core and 16gb ram and a super fast ATI graphics card cant remember the model off hand. This PC is only used for editing video so I dont use it for browsing the internet or playing games.

Im usually a patient person but this is getting me ready to

Help!!!
    Last edited by tonyvdb; 07-28-2012 at 07:48 PM.
    SpeedEdit2
    Dell XPS8300 i7 core AMD6700 graphics 12gb ram
    LG BluRay burrner
    Amiga 4000D VT Flyer in tower
    JVC Digital S BR-D85U
    Sony EVO9850, Panasonic AG7150

Foor a while I was having many crashes and loading project file became impossible. Usually erasing those Newtek folders where your files are, makes it possible to load.
    I haven't had crashes lately, it may co-incide with me taking the computer offline and not allowing auto updates. Also I disabled the virus protection.
    Then again it may be due to something else .....?

I'm no scientist, just a video artist.

Thanks for your reply, I will try disabling virus protection and unplug the internet. It just seems strange as it never did this with the older versions before I upgraded to SE2.5 (Bug?)
    I will give it another go this afternoon. It just sucks that I have to start all over again from a very early backup.
    SpeedEdit2
    LG BluRay burrner
    JVC Digital S BR-D85U

And the crashes continue....
    I was able to finish the project but now it crashes when i am rendering the project, it happens at different parts of the render each time i try. its 30 min long and has not ever made it past 16 min before crashing!

Any ideas?
    SpeedEdit2
    LG BluRay burrner
    JVC Digital S BR-D85U

Ok, I finally gave up and uninstalled Speed Edit and re installed only SE2.0 and the one update 2.1 and it rendered everything just fine. This means that there must be a bug in 2.5 otherwise there should have been issued in 2.1 as well.
    SpeedEdit2
    LG BluRay burrner
    JVC Digital S BR-D85U

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyvdb View Post
    This means that there must be a bug in 2.5 otherwise there should have been issued in 2.1 as well.
    Fogbugz it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Fogbugz it.
    Fogbugz it? not sure what that is, is that a software program? I dont understand what that would help as its not like SE is not working at all its just the update 2.5 thats not functioning correctly.
    SpeedEdit2
    LG BluRay burrner
    JVC Digital S BR-D85U

Blog Entries
    Fogbugz is a way of reporting bugs using a system that ensures each bug report is trackable.

Simply by visiting:
    https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.a...it&ixProject=6

and filling out the online form, you'll notify NewTek of the problems you've experienced.

Make sure you make a note of each step you take prior to the problem occurring in as much detail as possible, so that the engineers are able to reproduce your problem at their end.

Inclusion of the specifications of your machine (things like: make, model, speed and size in Gb/Mb of ram, HD, processor, graphics card, motherboard, monitor(s). Desktop or laptop, etc) would help them a lot. As well as a detailed description of what the problem is that you're experiencing.
    Last edited by Shabazzy; 08-05-2012 at 09:27 AM.

Giving Newtek's current interest in SE, would reporting the bug result in anything positive? I wouldnt be too optimistic but maybe I am wrong.

Your problem may be something as simple as a video driver. List your specs here and maybe someone here has dealt with this before and can give you a quick suggestion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony R View Post
    List your specs here and maybe someone here has dealt with this before and can give you a quick suggestion.
    Couldn't hurt.

WHen I said "specs", I mean the driver version, etc. If you dont know how to get that, just go to the device mgr (right click COMPUTER \ properties\Hardware\Device Manager and right click on the graphics adapter. There should be a properties and possible a driver tab or an Advanced tab that would show the driver. Your system is probably fine since it was performing well before the upgrade but NT may find that SE 2.5 might have an issue with a certain driver of one of your devices. The most difficult thing about PCs (and why Mac was so successful on the crashing side) is that there is no way NT can test every singe driver configuration out there. There are probably thousands of combinations of mix and match out there. Post your specs (after you cool down, that is).

I've posted this before, but...

I have discovered a few things about rendering in SE2 which should be known by all users. I imagine that most people probably render their projects with the project open. You select the stuff you want to render, and right click to the ‘render selected’ option and set the render panel & away it goes, and that’s totally fine. But here are some details about that… If your project is in any way heavy on processor & memory demands, close the project as soon as you start rendering it (by opening up a new empty project), You will right away notice that your rendering speed will suddenly speed up tremendously.

Also, if you are experiencing partial rendering & then crashing, try rendering with the project closed. I rendered a file unsuccessfully 6 times, because it crashed part way in each time. Then I rendered with the project closed. No problem, and faster too.

This is also useful if you are trying to render to a file format that crashes as soon as you select it. Try closing the project as soon as you open the render panel, then selecting the file format, and it probably won’t crash anymore.

You can also select what to render, click render, and when the render window opens, you go back to the timeline, select all, delete. Then click render. When rendering is done, click undo and it all comes back. This will give you faster renders (like more than twice as fast) and stop most crashes.

__________________________________________________ ___
    The time to stop trying is when you've achieved what you wanted.
    - Mutley Eugenius.

Just for everyone's info my specs are:

Dell XPS 8300 i7 core 2600 @3.4ghz
    Win7 home 64bit
    12gb ram
    AMD6700 graphics card

This is a dedicated PC for Speed Edit only I have very little other software installed on it other than the usual and I have the full Roxio creator pro 2011 suit and Microsoft office 2010
    SpeedEdit2
    LG BluRay burrner
    JVC Digital S BR-D85U

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    Fogbugz is a way of reporting bugs using a system that ensures each bug report is trackable.

Simply by visiting:
    https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.a...it&ixProject=6

and filling out the online form, you'll notify NewTek of the problems you've experienced.
    Well as of today I have not received any info or updates after submitting the bug report to them. Really Newtek lets try to be a little helpful here.
    SpeedEdit2
    LG BluRay burrner
    JVC Digital S BR-D85U