Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LW 64-bit And Quicktime Redux

LW 64-bit And Quicktime Redux

I know this has come up before, but ...

I don't understand why LW 64-bit PC version cannot output to Quicktime. All Adobe CS 6 64-bit apps can, Media Composer 6 (a 64-bit app) can etc. etc.

Yes, the QT render engine is not a 64-bit app, but it is apparently a trivial matter to be able to invoke the existing QT render engines from a 64-bit app, so why can't LW do it? Please add to LW 12. It is a pain having to keep LW 32 loaded an updated with 32-bit versions of 3rd party plug-ins just to service a few clients / apps that require QT output from LW.
    wmc
    -------

I know it's not as convenient, but rendering out frames is much more reliable than saving out actual animations.

With an animation type save, you'd need to start the rendering over entirely if there was a program crash. With frame saving, however, you'd only lose the time of the last frame rendered if there was a crash.

You can always use Quicktime's own program to assemble the frames themselves when all frames are rendered.

I know this is probably what you didn't want to hear though.

Just my opinion.

QT and 32 Bit is so 80/90s. . . . .

Most of the others are though at the moment getting away from QT due to its 32bit limitations.

Wandering if Lightwave 9 run with windows seven home addition

Quote Originally Posted by pureunicorn View Post
    Wandering if Lightwave 9 run with windows seven home addition
    I don't see any reason why it wouldn't, but I don't see what thats has to do with this thread either. So I must have my blinder's on today. yuck, yuck yuck...
    Silkrooster.com - temporarily offline due to updating...
    Spinquad Forum - Closed Sorry...
    lightwave-resources.pdf - - temporarily offline due to updating...

With an animation type save, you'd need to start the rendering over entirely if there was a program crash.
    Not true. You just need to start a new render from the last frame of the prior render and combine in your favorite NLE, compositor, or even QT Pro.
    Six-time Emmy award-winning news and special projects editor.
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...years-at-fox-2

The type of codec and the type of LW crash determine if you can have a partial video render that can be appended/continued in a video editor. The NLE can fart/burp if the video files that you supply are corrupted or incomplete (not properly closed after writing). While James' comment may not be true in all cases, it is true in most cases. It is just not worth risking costly render time to a corrupted/incomplete video file.

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    the type of codec and the type of lw crash determine if you can have a partial video render that can be appended/continued in a video editor. The nle can fart/burp if the video files that you supply are corrupted or incomplete (not properly closed after writing). While james' comment may not be true in all cases, it is true in most cases. It is just not worth risking costly render time to a corrupted/incomplete video file.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by raymondtrace View Post
    The type of codec and the type of LW crash determine if you can have a partial video render that can be appended/continued in a video editor. The NLE can fart/burp if the video files that you supply are corrupted or incomplete (not properly closed after writing). While James' comment may not be true in all cases, it is true in most cases. It is just not worth risking costly render time to a corrupted/incomplete video file.
    For what's it worth, I've never had issues writing to QT Animation files and use it almost exclusively. Even when I've had a program crash, recovering from a crash has been as simple as picking the render up where I left off.

But, everyone has their own preferred workflow and far be it from me to tell anyone else how to do their work. I simply wanted to point out that the blanket statement that was made is - in my experience - not true.

I'd be interested in knowing how you craft your MOV file. What codec?

When I force-quit LW in mid-render and try to open the partial MOV file, I get this error message:

Error -2048: Couldn't open the file [something].mov because it is not a file that QuickTime understands.

@raymondtrace, it depends when LW crashed in the process of writing the quicktime file. For me, i've lost more often my rendered file (qt).

I'm an Avid editor (for 15 years), and I was using LightWave to put some visual effects to my shots or to put my shots into some visual effects animations. Since Newtek, doesn't think that it worth the effort to bring back Quicktime to Lightwave 64 bit, I dont think it worth the effort from me to upgrade to version 11, 11.5 or above. When you're editing and have a lot of shots to deal with, you don't really have the time to manage sequence files. With Avid, I don't even export a real quicktime, often it's a quicktime reference file that point to my avid media file, wich make me save a lot of time and harddrive space. It works perfectly with AfterEffects, photoshop (64 bit) and Shake (on mac). For 2012, I would really appreciate to get my quicktime files into my used to be favorite 3D app, Lightwave. Since we lost the ability to work with quicktime in Lightwave, I've stopped upgrading and I'm stucked with LW 10.1. Sad!

Quote Originally Posted by HuGE View Post
    @raymondtrace, it depends when LW crashed in the process of writing the quicktime file. For me, i've lost more often my rendered file (qt).

I'm an Avid editor (for 15 years), and I was using LightWave to put some visual effects to my shots or to put my shots into some visual effects animations. Since Newtek, doesn't think that it worth the effort to bring back Quicktime to Lightwave 64 bit, I dont think it worth the effort from me to upgrade to version 11, 11.5 or above. When you're editing and have a lot of shots to deal with, you don't really have the time to manage sequence files. With Avid, I don't even export a real quicktime, often it's a quicktime reference file that point to my avid media file, wich make me save a lot of time and harddrive space. It works perfectly with AfterEffects, photoshop (64 bit) and Shake (on mac). For 2012, I would really appreciate to get my quicktime files into my used to be favorite 3D app, Lightwave. Since we lost the ability to work with quicktime in Lightwave, I've stopped upgrading and I'm stucked with LW 10.1. Sad!
    We should compare notes one of these days, Huge.

It all depends on what coded you use. If you save a uncompressed quicktime and lw crashes you'll still be able to use the file but with mpeg-like compressions you won't because these compression types compress more frames at once. Not just a single one.

But still it's not advisable to use quicktime or avi's as an output format for many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Serling View Post
    We should compare notes one of these days, Huge.
    Anytime Serling!

Quote Originally Posted by 3DGFXStudios View Post
    It all depends on what coded you use. If you save a uncompressed quicktime and lw crashes you'll still be able to use the file but with mpeg-like compressions you won't because these compression types compress more frames at once. Not just a single one.

But still it's not advisable to use quicktime or avi's as an output format for many reasons.
    I understand what your saying 3DFxStudios, but First, I've done it for more than 15 years, working with lightwave, wich never, I repeat NEVER crashed while rendering on my projects with quicktime involved, whatever the codec used... UNTIL... versions 10.x
    Second, like I said, it's been more than 15 years working like that, why should I change my ways for a pipeline heavier than what I'm used to? That's not upgrading or evolving, it's regressing and even, going back to the times on Amiga. You know? 20 years ago. LW and I, as for a lot of fans of LightWave, it's more than a tool, it's a love story. And for now, my partner of love is letting me down.

I think, the worst thing to do, to a software, is to take off features that your users are used to.

Quote Originally Posted by HuGE View Post
    ...With Avid, I don't even export a real quicktime, often it's a quicktime reference file that point to my avid media file, wich make me save a lot of time and harddrive space. ...
    Can't you also make a QT reference file from an image sequence rendered from LW?

I would suspect that less attention is paid by developers to video file output because there may be a greater market/interest for those using network rendering to image files.

Frame rendering is not a relic of the past. It is very much part of the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast