Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuttering Video w/ Tricaster 450 Extreme

Stuttering Video w/ Tricaster 450 Extreme

Unfortunately - the stuttering video is still happening on our Tricaster 450 Extreme.

I had reported this issue some months ago - and tried updating the unit at that time to what I think was version 4c. Doing that upgrade did not fix the stuttering issue.

We have 4 Sony NX5U cameras connected using long HD-SDI cables. We are setup w/ a Tricaster 1080i session. We're doing sports and theatre production.

After about 10-15 minutes of recording the LIVE production w/ titles and basic switcher transitions (dissolves and cuts) - the video begins to stutter. The stuttered video is being recorded and the resulting captured clips are all jerky and stuttering badly.

I've tried all previous suggestions from NewTek Support - but this is becoming very frustrating.

I am going to attempt to upgrade it to version 4e very soon. Hoping it will actually make a difference because the last upgrade did not help as far as I can tell.

I think I recall hearing of an issue involving SDI that could occasionally cause glitching on output in some cases. It wasn't widespread, but sounds like it might be related. I believe it's been addressed, but I need to check on this and will report here.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

OK, apparently the problem I was referring to would not be the issue you're seeing. Probably the first step would be to get you onto the latest build, or even a newer one, and go from there. If you PM me contact details, I'll try to hook you up if you like.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

I continue to see this issue from time to time as well. I submitted a recording of it happening some time ago but it has yet to be fixed. It generally happens to me when I have been recording/streaming for more than an hour.

I have yet been able to figure out what triggers it, but to clear it you have to come out of live and restart the session.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmidi View Post
    Unfortunately - the stuttering video is still happening on our Tricaster 450 Extreme.

I had reported this issue some months ago - and tried updating the unit at that time to what I think was version 4c. Doing that upgrade did not fix the stuttering issue.

We have 4 Sony NX5U cameras connected using long HD-SDI cables. We are setup w/ a Tricaster 1080i session. We're doing sports and theatre production.

After about 10-15 minutes of recording the LIVE production w/ titles and basic switcher transitions (dissolves and cuts) - the video begins to stutter. The stuttered video is being recorded and the resulting captured clips are all jerky and stuttering badly.

I've tried all previous suggestions from NewTek Support - but this is becoming very frustrating.

I am going to attempt to upgrade it to version 4e very soon. Hoping it will actually make a difference because the last upgrade did not help as far as I can tell.
    Todd Cochrane
    @geeknews
    [email protected]
    http://geeknewscentral.com

TriCaster: TC1 / 860 AE / Mini AE

Thanks Steve..... I'll try the 4e Build Update (if I can successfully download it) and I'll let you know what the results are.......

Also - please note: we are not streaming anything when the stuttering occurs - just doing straight-up HD video production w/ transitions and titles. We've even tried re-booting the Tricaster right before the LIVE production - but it still ends up stuttering after a short while.

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    The times I have observed this happen on clients system were traced to bad sync/loss of sync on HD-SDI devices.
    A long cable could cause the HD-SDI to unclock and then reclock which could cause the issue. I'm not saying that's it but sync going and coming has been an issue when a client calls me with this type of problem.
    I also had it once where the client used a DVI to HD-SDI converter to allow multiple (four) Hd-SDI monitors to view the TriCaster multiview out. The device was not Windows friendly as a display and my guess was the video card kept trying to re-establish the connection intermittently. Anyway it caused the program out video to drop randomly and drove me crazy trying to find the problem.

Good luck,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

I had this happen last night twice, first time it started after about 20 minutes of the tricaster running and only 2-3 minutes on the stream. I exited live and immediately re-loaded.

Everything came up normal and about 5 minutes into record/stream it did it again..

I rebooted the machine and it was happy for the next 8 hours before we terminated the live event.. Very very very frustrating my 850 never did this but this 855 seems to be buggy as heck.
    Todd Cochrane
    @geeknews
    [email protected]
    http://geeknewscentral.com

TriCaster: TC1 / 860 AE / Mini AE

Purdue Technologist vanderwielen's Avatar
    send cable type, length, number of connectors and ill calculate your loss and see if you're within spec. also, any coax laying in the sun will have an increase in resistive loss. cold=good, hot=bad.

I have a 455 installed that is having the stuttering issues. I thought it may be the HD's and went through the whole exchange process with Newtek. They got the new 455 in today. Recorded to itself and seemed to be doing fine. In church service tonight, it repeated the same as decribed above thread. HD-SDI going in from 3 Sony XDCU50 Camera Control Units. All are brand new. This is making no sense to me. I have been Newtek since 1990 so I am ok. Client is new to Newtek. I need to fix this.
    Bill Rahn - PVS
    Toaster User Since 1990
    www.pvsnc.com

Guys, what are your lengths and types of cable?
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by Lee-AVP View Post
    Guys, what are your lengths and types of cable?
    You mean from the CCU to the 455?
    Bill Rahn - PVS
    Toaster User Since 1990
    www.pvsnc.com

Make sure you have the "Latest" update directly from the download site, as well. (This will be newer than the version shipping on new systems at the moment.)
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    Make sure you have the "Latest" update directly from the download site, as well.
    Even if we just recieved it today as a replacement? I will have them check what version. What should it be?
    Bill Rahn - PVS
    Toaster User Since 1990
    www.pvsnc.com

Quote Originally Posted by barahn View Post
    Even if we just recieved it today as a replacement?
    Even if you picked it up at the factory tomorrow morning.
    Quote Originally Posted by barahn View Post
    What should it be?
    Just download the "Latest" version, whatever it is (5b was impending last time I checked).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast