Thread: TC455 Aux Audio Question

TC455 Aux Audio Question

I am rewiring the school's studio to accommodate a TC455. I'm running everything in mono audio since stereo is not a requirement for what we're doing. However, I am running DDR, sound, and effects out through audio aux connections back in to my mixer.

I would like to try something like this:

Fader 10: DDR 1
    Fader 11: DDR 2/Sound
    Fader 12, or Tape input (RCA): Effects

In Live Desktop I would pan DDR 1 to the left, DDR 2 and Sound to the right, and effects I'd run audio on channels 3 and 4, with no audio in channels 1 and 2.

Could this work? Would I theoretically be able in SpeedEdit to generate an audio file for my transitions effects that have audio on channels 3 and 4, but nothing on 1 and 2?

EDIT: SpeedEdit is no longer installed by default, and I haven't downloaded it yet, hence the question.

EDIT 2: I'll add that most DDR video will be news segments, created by students, and will almost assuredly have audio only in channels 1 and 2. For our needs, audio on channels 3 and 4 will be nonexistent, which is why I am hoping to use it for the transitions effects.

Thanks,

Zach
    Last edited by ZachSchuster; 07-23-2012 at 03:53 PM.
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

Zach, I'm not really sure that Effects (that is, the sound embedded in Animation Store transitions) can use the two 'rear' channels. I'll try to find out.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Steve,

I installed SpeedEdit and was able to get to get an audio file that ran audio on the rear channels. I successfully created a transition with said audio file. When I play the transition in Live Production, I can see deflection on channels 3 and 4 in the effects mixer channel, and nothing on channels 1 and 2. I can also see identical deflection on the main mix.

However, I see no deflection in the Aux out (set to all internal sources), and plugging in a cable from the 2a or 2b outputs in to a confidence monitor, I hear nothing.

Furthermore, I don't see any deflection on the Stream mix (since there are only 2 channels of audio).

In hindsight, this makes sense, since the outputs on the 455 are essentially main mix stereo and aux mix stereo, with no option for a 4 channel audio output. Too much going through my head and I saw the four outputs and starting thinking I'd have four aux outputs, not two.

So I have two options. Option A is to keep my DDR 1 panned left and DDR 2 and Sound panned right as described in my original post, and not worry about sending transition audio through the mixer. Or Option B is to pan all DDR and Sound left, and effects to the right, and have a one fader for all media, and one fader for transitions.

The only benefit of sending the transitions back through the mixer is I have some options for using it in mix-minuses for a studio audience/house feed. It's not necessary, so I think I'm going to drop it.
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U