Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Project Messiah?

Not So Newbie Member

Project Messiah?

Hi there

I'm thinking of purchasing Project Messiah for some upcoming character work. I'm hoping it will provide an extremely fast and intuitive workflow for high volume "cartoon" character work.
    But I can't seem to find any definitive opinions on the current version of the product. From what I've seen it's great, but I'm curious to hear all opinions on whether this is worth buying and learning to augment the Lightwave character workflow. Any info is greatly appreciated...

cheers

G

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Yup, brilliant stuff done with it, fantastic choice. Its an odd one in a way as it does get much ignored, hence ur lack of finding good feedback... loads of us, inc me bought in at the $40 giveaway thing, and still never really used it. I guess primarily cos its quite different, and lots new to learn, etc. But if ur up for it, go for it.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Some samples of Messiah rsults in my blog. Thuristar crew get great results using that soft

http://lightwavebox.blogspot.com.es/...thuristar.html

If your interest is CA the messiah is a good tool to add to your toolbox. If you go to setuptab.com you might be able to find someone who's willing to sell a copy for cheap as a lot of people were buying extra copies during the Dare to Share promo.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

I got a copy which I never used or activated. I heard it is a great tool to have but there is no use for it at work so never learned it. If you interested in buying, give me a PM.
    “Every block of stone has a statue inside it and it is the task of the sculptor to discover it” - Michelangelo

Not So Newbie Member
    Thanks everyone for the info! It appears as though it is a very useful tool if you can afford to put in the time for the learning curve then? I like the idea that it can be used also for Maya.
    Thanks again, I'll give it a crack...

Not So Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vector View Post
    Some samples of Messiah rsults in my blog. Thuristar crew get great results using that soft

http://lightwavebox.blogspot.com.es/...thuristar.html
    The Thuristar teaser is fantastic!! I loved it. Just looking t your blog now...

Not So Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Yup, brilliant stuff done with it, fantastic choice. Its an odd one in a way as it does get much ignored, hence ur lack of finding good feedback... loads of us, inc me bought in at the $40 giveaway thing, and still never really used it. I guess primarily cos its quite different, and lots new to learn, etc. But if ur up for it, go for it.
    I'm looking into Rhiggit also, have downloaded the demo...

Messiah it self works great. What I apprechiated most is the included 'graph-editor' at the timeline, i.e. you can edit the splines of the different bones directly in the timeline and see the effects immediately.
    The learning-curve isn't so high, though some things work different (e.g. there is no weight-map but 'effectors' - but it has a very good deformation algorithm anyway). It is very LW-friendly and has a great community. They have a free rig for bipeds that works fine for most of my characters. Setting up bones is very easy, I would say easier than in LW. I always exported the animation in MDD to LW, so you need to have some more preparation for your animation because you need to know where your character has to move.
    BUT: Sadly the shop hasn't been working since beginning of this year. So you can't buy tutorials (aside from the free ones) at the moment. I don't know what is going on there. I tried to buy a tutorial in January, paid it with my credit-card but didn't get a download. Does this mean Messiah is dying?
    For me that means that I focus more on doing my CA in LW. My plans are buying RebellHill's Tuts and jumping into the learning curve of professional rigging in LW.
    IK-Booster is nice - your character can be put into a pose quite easily - I tried some things with it, but IMO you need a good rig to do good CA (sorry, splinegod - if you read this).
    Hope that helped.

The extremely low priced 'dare to share' promotion and the non-functional store for training (setuptab.com) are really, really bad signs. This software might be abandoned.

I bought it during the promotion but have not had time to dive into it. I'm waiting for the tutorial store to be fixed too. Without the videos, the only comprehensive training is available from the manual:
    http://www.eggswhyzed.com/messiah_docs/

raymond, I've been assured by some of the long time community members over at Setuptab.com that Messiah is still in active development and that there lack of public presence is a norm... Things do appear bleak on the surface though with the store and the price drop.

If your interested in learning to use messiah for Animation Joe Cosman still has his training vidoes available on his own web store here: https://sites.google.com/site/joecos...siah-tutorials

This won't help with the rendering side of things in messiah but it does cover the aspects of the software that I would consider it's strengths.

Yeah, I should not have ignored the Cosman videos (which were also missing for a time) or even Silva's free intro: http://themaddoxcorner.blogspot.com/...-tutorial.html

I realize that the software has survived on community support. I've followed pmG from a distance for many years. ...but the videos on setuptab.com are really critical for in-depth training. This Messiah really needs a Gospel.

Also look up Boris Goreta on the forums, he uses Messiah for animation and renders in LW .. loves it.

There is a good example of a juice comercial he did on this site:

http://www.borisgoreta.com/

Check out this old thread :

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=72929

Some random posts here:
    http://setuptab.com/index.php?topic=513.0;wap2
    Model: MacBook Pro 10.6.4 - 2.66 GHz - 4GB - NVD GF GT 330M
    Render: Win7 64 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz - 8GB

I can really recommend PMG Messiah, been using it for some 11+ years and I'm very pleased with it.
    You can always download demo and try it out to see if it fit your needs. Even without videos on SetupTab (who knows when or if it will reopen?! :/) you can start up really quickly with docs only (a bit outdated I know, but good for start), and for any question you might have you can usually get quick reply over there on forums.
    Give it a try, invest some time in learning it and I'm sure you won't be disappointed.
    Animator - Vimeo, Behance

Integration worked well with LW 9.6, but when I moved to LW 10.1, 64-bit it no longer did. Posted some questions about that on SetupTab, but never got a solution.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast