Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Automatic In/Out Offset

Multimedia Magician

Automatic In/Out Offset

I would like to encourage whoever's idea it was to make the default for this setting anything but OFF to feel free to start moving in traffic one second prior to the light turning green, and stopping one second after the car in front of you has stopped at a red light.

It's nice that there is an option for this, but to make the default offset "1 second" sure can cause problems... especially when you have to frequently re-install SpeedEdit2 because it ceases to function properly. In the middle of a complex project, having to reinstall is not high on the list of fun things to do. But to proceed where you left off on your timeline with each clip starting and ending one second off is very problematic.

Ok, enough of my rant... Now, back to re-editing this entire project, along with the one that was previously completed...

Sorry to hear about your whoas. Lord knows I have written more than enough of them over the years. It should be set to 0 so I dont know why it would be otherwise. For years, I realized that I had to click and drag all of the beginning and ends of my clips to their full length before I even knew there was a setting for this. Good luck. Take a breath and dont edit until the rage is gone.

Blog Entries
    Like Tony said. I also am sorry to hear of your frustrations with this feature.

I can't say that I'm in the same boat as you, since I find it a very useful feature and simple enough to adjust to zero on all the clips in one go.

But hang in there, SpeedEDIT is worth the time investment, since you'll eventually unlock it's cool features once you get your head around the way it works.

If reading the manual isn't your thing, then there'll always be someone here in the forums who'll be willing to help.

Why me too!!!

I don't use the DVE's so that's like on of the first things I do on Installing SpeedEDIT is switch that preference...we are in the same boat but atleast SpeedEDIT is a nice boat to be on with on a few quirks but great overall functionality. Also, "do not support extending clip beyond in/out" is another one I do everytime...why would you want to do that???:agree:
    -=*>Shawn

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

Multimedia Magician
    I don't mind the feature existing, as it undoubtedly is helpful to some people. My point was that the default setting would probably be best served in the OFF position.

I love SpeedEdit2, and I hope I didn't come across full of rage. I was being facecious as it allowed me to share my frustration and shake my head before diving back into the project.

Quote Originally Posted by travisr View Post
    My point was that the default setting would probably be best served in the OFF position.
    If that was the default, transitions wouldn't work correctly. I'm not convinced that would be wise.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Multimedia Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    If that was the default, transitions wouldn't work correctly. I'm not convinced that would be wise.
    Transitions work correctly for me when it's off (prior to the new SpeedEdit deleting them during installation).

In my case, I load a bunch of continuous clips from P2 cards. They continue from one clip to the next, sometimes for a few hours. However, with the default ON, 2 seconds disappear between each clip, breaking the continuity. I've been aware of this setting, and I forgot to reset it when I reinstalled SpeedEdit. It just seemed that the most logical place for the clip to default to is the very beginning and the the very end of the clip.

Transitions work correctly for me when it's off (prior to the new SpeedEdit deleting them during installation).
    To paraphrase a former president, I guess it depends on what you mean by 'works'. With In/Out Offset at zero, DVE's are forced to use 'hold frames', rather than full motion video.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Multimedia Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    To paraphrase a former president, I guess it depends on what you mean by 'works'. With In/Out Offset at zero, DVE's are forced to use 'hold frames', rather than full motion video.
    I just drag the DVEs onto my clips and they don't hold frames. DVEs or not, I maintain that a logical default would be to start a clip at the beginning and stop and the end.

I just drag the DVEs onto my clips and they don't hold frames. DVEs or not, I maintain that a logical default would be to start a clip at the beginning and stop and the end.
    The only way there will not be frozen frames from at least one of the sources is if you overlap the clips on the timeline first. If you do that, you're basically adding the same offset, but manually.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Blog Entries
    I love SpeedEdit2, and I hope I didn't come across full of rage. I was being facecious as it allowed me to share my frustration and shake my head before diving back into the project.
    I don't think anyone took your comments the wrong way (I certainly didn't). I think we all understand your point of view and sympathise with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shabazzy View Post
    I don't think anyone took your comments the wrong way (I certainly didn't).
    I just want to make it 100% clear that I agree. Few things are more annoying than a frequently used tool that has a quirk, and a certain amount of angst is perfectly understandable.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Farrell View Post
    Also, "do not support extending clip beyond in/out" is another one I do everytime...why would you want to do that???:agree:
    -=*>Shawn
    I love that feature, especially with animations where I've shown some motion, and want to hold on the last frame, either to drop in a transition, or to hold the image through the end of the last note on one of the songs from a nifty music library NewTek supplied to me. Just last week I cut together a couple of video tours through iPad apps, and since the ends of some clips were essentially on still screens it was fast and easy to stretch past the out as I needed to fill visual gaps to match the timing of the narration track before the next clip came into play. It's way more convenient to just drag it out on the timeline than to separately grab a still and put it in place.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

Steve said "a certain amount of angst is perfectly understandable."

I'd go so far as to say that with SE, a certain amount of angst is entirely inevitable!

Quote Originally Posted by billmi View Post
    It's way more convenient to just drag it out on the timeline than to separately grab a still and put it in place.
    Mind you, the HoldStill effect can do that for you as well ... just sayin'
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast