Thread: ideas on juice box?

ideas on juice box?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmORzYO6PJI

I would like to create something like this in Lightwave. Since there is no lattice deformer or FFD, what is the best method to rig the juice box? IKBooster, z-bones, joints, or some other deformer?

I'm no character animator, but you can simply use some bones at the parts of the box you want to deform, they don't even have to be joined together.

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

I agree, you dont need a specific rig. Youve got some bending going on as well as some squash and stretch. Id probably go with joints. Asfar as how to animate it, that depends on what youre comfortable with. IKB is good for easy/quick setup so you can start animating quickly and for easily managing the poses and animation.

Do you suggest getting the squash and stretch using bones or morphs? There isn't a way to get S&S with IKBoost, is there?

You can get the squash and stretch with morphs, bones or joints. It all depends on how you rig it. I would probably go with joints because you can do the bending as well as the squash n stretch with them as well.

I posted up a demonstration of animating a juice box with joints and IKBoost.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf9zIdMC2MU&feature=plcp

That video was really helpful. There's always something new to learn about IKB.

Now, if NT would fix, improve and update this great piece of software...

Thanks Larry and I do hope you're doing well.

.O.

Glad it was helpful. I was glad to see that IKB worked very well with joints. I still find all kinds of new uses for IKB all the time.

Me too.

Other than its little quirks, it's just fun to use.

.O.

Thanks, Larry. That was so helpful. You're the best! I didn't realize you had so much posted on YouTube.

One of the first exercises for college animation students used to be the flour sack animation. Many college teachers have either added to or replaced that exercise with the juice box. One of Pixar's first commercials back in 1989 was for Tropicana Orange juice. I suppose kids these days can identify better with a juice box than a flour sack.

*BOOM*

What was that!?

That's the sound of Larry Shultz dropping some knowledge on you
    Professional-level 3d training: Ryan's Lightwave Learning
    Plugin Developer: RR Tools for Lightwave

LOL! Hope that doesnt leave a mark

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

The LightWave Whisperer

Damn Larry, that whole AUTOBIND thing Blew. My. Mind.

Kids, jump to 16:05 and see what Uncle Larry can make LightWave do. Jump LightWave, jump! Situp! Rollover!
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Thats just one of many amazing tools built into it and the nice thing is we all have it alread for free

My first piece of training material was a DVD by Larry Shultz. My second was my bible, by Steve Warner et al. The rest came from Proton Vaugh's hundreds of video tutorials. Where would I be without these great resources.