Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creating a galaxy using AlphaPlanes?

Creating a galaxy using AlphaPlanes?

I'm trying to create a Galaxy using Alphaplanes. The reason for this is becuase I saw a video that was apparently a LW video of space, and it was amazing! The apparent technique was just a bunch of alpha planes to create the "depth" feeling.

I've tried all sorts of combinations in order to create a similar look, but you can tell its just an image mapped to planes any suggestions to get me on the right track? I dont need to stick strictly to alpha planes but it seems fast and sufficient rather than starting to mess with particles and try to recreate the galaxies in 3D.
    Jesus Christ died for you =)

You might be able to do it using stacked polys that vibrate quickly and with motionblur turned on. Use a procedural texture with world coords if you use this method.
    I would probably create a point cloud in modeler then apply HV sprites to that in layout.
    Find a nice picture of a galaxy on google and apply that to your HV sprites in the color and size channels.

With the billboard method, make sure you can see why it isn't working how you want.
    Using excellent resource imagery and good reference will REALLY make the difference.
    If you have mediocre assets it's not going to work....

Quote Originally Posted by SplineGod View Post
    You might be able to do it using stacked polys that vibrate quickly and with motionblur turned on. Use a procedural texture with world coords if you use this method.
    I would probably create a point cloud in modeler then apply HV sprites to that in layout.
    Find a nice picture of a galaxy on google and apply that to your HV sprites in the color and size channels.
    I've only worked with simple particles emitting stuff, which is mainly made in layout, so I have to say the creating point cloud in Modeller has confused me a bit, care to elaborate?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnDU7JJtVts

This one is nice using a combo of methods.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim M View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnDU7JJtVts

This one is nice using a combo of methods.
    That's the video I was refering to in the beginning I think, or something similar atleast. Looks awesome =)

Quote Originally Posted by HolyMonkey- View Post
    That's the video I was refering to in the beginning I think, or something similar atleast. Looks awesome =)
    He briefly describes the technique in the info. I suspect its front projection maps locked to frames, projected onto particle clouds (approx. as SG initially suggested)

Make points in modeler...using the spray tool or make objects with lots of points and then kill the polys leaving only the points. Save the points as you would any object, send to layout. Apply HVs to point cloud object.

well.. yeah point clouds might work good, you could also just simply use subpatch grid and control vertex/hv density with the geometry properties subpatch level, using the display level for working with vpr and render subpatch level for final lightwave render, apply image or procedurals on density or dissolv channel to cut the shape out similar to clouds, and use color channel too.

You can also make geometric shapes and fill them with points, that is a hidden feature introduced in Lightwave 11, and you wont find it untill you use the utilities/plugin tab...It´s called fill solid, and you do not need any background layers, just create a cloud shape,sphere, elipsoid etc or use the pen tool to create the galaxy shape and use the solid fill tool, but be careful using freezed geometry from splines, it will freeze mostly.

combining hv´s with a volumetric center light would be nice I think.

Michael

I'll have to dig some into this a bit, thank you for your tips. =)

More ideas always appreciated!

I'll have to dig some into this a bit, thank you for your tips. =)

More ideas always appreciated!
    Depends on exactly what youré after, Galaxy or nebula?
    animated with galaxy rotational motion? or just camera motion.

simply real life/hubble shots should work with high res maps on polys or use hypervoxels, or combinations.

you can also use volumetric lights with textures only from where you can apply images or use mix with procedurals.

if you apply an image on a subpatch grid with hv vertices, you would want to set the object to 100% dissolve in render tab, since you only want the hv properties not the poly to render, however you might as well just use simple polys too wich would be more render efficient.

The issue and trick is to have it not look to flat.

Michael

got some interesting results with a grid plane with some divisions, and painting the main shape of the galaxy/nebula cluster with weight paint in modeler, then using array cloning a couple of times so you got a few layers of that, once in layout you have to activate the hv particle set particle weight in order to use weight map gradient, this will use the created weightmap as the map upon wich hv will be applied on only, so if you use several layers you get a more pronounced volume to the neb or galaxy custer.

Using weight maps and hv sprites this way, will give much smoother blend overall shape than just using point clouds or particles.

if it continuous to look promising I will post some images later this week.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    got some interesting results with a grid plane with some divisions, and painting the main shape of the galaxy/nebula cluster with weight paint in modeler, then using array cloning a couple of times so you got a few layers of that, once in layout you have to activate the hv particle set particle weight in order to use weight map gradient, this will use the created weightmap as the map upon wich hv will be applied on only, so if you use several layers you get a more pronounced volume to the neb or galaxy custer.

Using weight maps and hv sprites this way, will give much smoother blend overall shape than just using point clouds or particles.

if it continuous to look promising I will post some images later this week.

Michael
    Thanks I'll give it a go! =)

nce in layout you have to activate the hv particle set particle weight in order to use weight map gradient,

This step has me confused, I acitvated hv in effects menu and I cant locate anywhere to set it to "weight map" You mean add gradient in transparrancy under surface?
    Last edited by HolyMonkey-; 06-13-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Last edited by HolyMonkey-; 06-13-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Thanks I'll give it a go! =)

nce in layout you have to activate the hv particle set particle weight in order to use weight map gradient,

This step has me confused, I acitvated hv in effects menu and I cant locate anywhere to set it to "weight map" You mean add gradient in transparrancy under surface?
    youre using particles here for the image, wich might be the wrong approach.

the particle weight map activation can be activated only if you have painted a weight map on point cluster or on a subdivided polygrid, and you double click the hv particle under the objects deform tab, not through the hypervoxels tab.
    Edit..first after that you set your density to particl weight.
    You can also directly use a painted weight map and select points by influence map to cut out point directly, in such case you can get point ordered more even than just spraying a point cluster, this gives a smoother blend between voxels next to eachother.

I have to leave work and will be at home within one hour or so, then I might be able to show how.

Michael

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast