Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus

Well since I just came back from seeing it with my 3D glasses in hand I can now throw my opinion in with the rest.
    The effects were top notch. It's not a good movie. The characters failed to engage and I blame the script for that.
    3D as a story telling medium is a lost cause, constantly pulling me out of the story and forcing me to decide where to focus my attention. Lou Reed on MP3's "MP3's are a smart way to do something stupid." The same can be said for 3D, having seen Avatar and now Prometheus I'm no longer interested in 3D ever again and will avoid it ever more.
    Did Ridley Scott really make this movie? It's so bad, a mess. I can go into all the nonsensical plot elements but there's too many.

Spoiler alert! Spoiler alert! Oh shut up who cares.

The original alien looked the way it did because it was a genetic mix between itself and the Space Jockey creature. But in this movie the Space Jockey looks human and the bio mechanical look is just a space suit. So the alien that explodes out of his body has no reason to look the way it does at the end of the film. This is the least problematic thing about the movie by the way.

It sits with all the other Alien movies after the first two. That's my thoughts on it.

Seen in 3d imax too. Top notch effects, stupid scenario. Because it's a mixed genre and some genres don't mix very well. If they wanted to make a philosophical point on some old rehearsed question (who are whe, where do we come from...), fine, the movie succeeded to that very well in the beginning...until the other genre came in, that is, the horror gore movie.
    I liked the first scene the best, and the first 30 minutes, awesome. After that, When a stupid uneducated astronaut dude (unshaved, tatooed, dirty and with some redneck accent, in a high tech spaceship, really?) put his face right in front of an alien sucker to see it closer, it's like, duh, I have so no ideas of what's coming next.
    Honestly, when you have a hot chick like Charlize Theron aboard, destroying her ship is not the first thing an honest alien should be thinking about.
    About that, am I the only one to be extremely shocked that she didn't have sex with the black dude ? In an Hollywood movie, really ? It's almost racism.
    Hopfully the awesome visuals save the movie. I give A+ to the cg artists, D- to the nazi scenarist.

RebelHill, Dodgy, enjoyed your reading of David. He's a complex, fascinating jumble of amoral, vain, curious, resentful, isolated, misanthropic. I also find it a strength of the movie that as a result his motives are unfathomable. He may be sentient but his hyper intelligence only serves to emphasise his utterly non human persona. Fassbender plays the character superbly with subtle Hal like hints of an underlying destructive madness.

On the other hand it could be that the enigma of David is more happy accident than design, perversely down to truly bad scriptwriting rescued by brilliant acting. How come David is such a complex finely drawn mysterious character when the others are two dimensional hapless eedjits?

My biggest frustration with this film were the useless crew inducing laugh out loud moments. The captain, on loan from Airplane, plays a squeezebox, doesn't seem to know or care about anything for most of the movie but then unexpectedly bursts through a door with a dramatic explanation of Everything. The punk geologist ("I like rocks") who turns into a zombie crossed with the Elephant Man, that was the absolute pits.

Such a shame about the jumbled mess of a script and terrible characterisation because the visuals were breathtaking. The Engineers, the star chamber scene and landscapes created that Sense of wonder worthy of Kubrick's 2001.
    Last edited by bobakabob; 06-26-2012 at 01:05 PM.
    Art and photography Flickr site
    Animation, facial rigging, modelling ArtStation
    Assorted animations Robert Ireland

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobakabob View Post
    How come David is such a complex finely drawn mysterious character when the others are two dimensional hapless eedjits?
    I think...

Because HE is what the movie is about... he IS the story. The rest of the story, the other characters, etc are just the set pieces, the vehicle, to deliver that story. The other characters kind of have to be stupid/happy clappy to provide the contrast against the clarity and openness of his journey, thoughts, and explorations... its a classic character based juxtaposition.

Watch the movie as a sci fi adventure/ horror/whatever, I agree... terrible schlock... Watch it as a character play about a central protagonist, and its wonderful, one of the best such films for many years, Shame excepted ofc... which coincidentally enough also stars the Fassbender... OMG, I swear, Im so hooked on that man atm, its only a matter of time before I begin stalking him, I tell you now.
    Last edited by RebelHill; 06-26-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Agreed, a brilliant actor who takes Prometheus to another level.
    Haven't seen Shame yet, but he's very good in Fishtank. Hard to believe it's the same person.

Oh yeah... U gotta see shame... love it.

And LOVE fish tank too, I think that was the film that made me fall for fassbender.
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Animator/Compositor wibly wobly's Avatar
    I found my frustration with the film arises from what you guys are talking about. Parts of it are good and interesting but, there are so many other aspects of it that are so poorly done that it just induces the urge in me to table flip. It has so much going for it. I'm really sure there are things going on that we don't and won't know about until (unless) there's a sequel. Maybe producers walked in and rewrote parts, telling them they need some comedy here and some action there, jumbled up dialogue and characters. I don't know. It feels like the film was written by a bunch of different people.

I am with Rebel Hill, I liked the film a lot.
    And I do wonder what the heck David told the Engineer?
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

Quote Originally Posted by robertoortiz View Post
    I am with Rebel Hill, I liked the film a lot.
    And I do wonder what the heck David told the Engineer?
    Interesting article here

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=62078

Wish they'd made more of this dramatic scene, it was all over in a flash

[edit, see Robert answered it :]

i liked it... good movie.

 
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

 
    about the 3D effect, i don't like it all that much, the image becomes so damn dark.

where are the glasses-free cinemas?... only glasses-free monitors invented so far...

and larges monitor at the moment is 145" or so... (resolution is 8K)
    http://www.theverge.com/2012/4/27/29...plasma-display

 
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by bobakabob View Post
    Interesting article here

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansit.../news/?a=62078

Wish they'd made more of this dramatic scene, it was all over in a flash
    A serviceable translation into English is:

"This man is here because he does not want to die. He believes you can give him more life."

I flipping well SAID it was more bladerunner than alien didnt I... DIDNT I!!!???

(Ok, RH, calm down.)
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    A serviceable translation into English is:
    I flipping well SAID it was more bladerunner than alien didnt I... DIDNT I!!!???...
    It does not know what it is.
    A little this and a little that but in the end it is not Bladerunner and not Alien and more importantly not a good movie !
    Maybe by trying to not look like a prequel they made it worse (ironically).
    I was trying to like it but there were so much WTF moments that i was catapulted out of the movie too much times.
    I was more in critical observing mode rather then absorbed by the movie .
    This did not happened with Bladerunner or Alien.

Fassbender is of course good! In fact there is only one big bad thing if you look closely and that is the script.
    Really good movies do not come often unfortunately.
    If you lower your standard and have not any knowledge of the movie you can have (maybe) a kinda fun time.
    But then you are out of the Bladerunner or Alien-s league already.

Edit : Found this right now "Interview: 'Prometheus', Sci-Fi Writers Damon Lindelof & Jon Spaihts"
    http://www.firstshowing.net/2012/int...f-jon-spaihts/
    Last edited by kadri; 06-27-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Totally hardcore! I was laughing inside because of how candid the whole thing was. . . .Was like having my consciousness shoved up some alien's. . . .you know. Not much suspense and the writing needed help but definitely didn't hold much back on the graphical content.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

dear movie creators, stop using the greek mythology to make money! you destroy our history!
    thank you
    a greek cityzen!

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast