Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Prometheus

Prometheus

I saw Prometheus at the 12:01 AM showing last night. I was really looking forward to this movie based on the trailers I had seen (it's the prequel to Alien) and, for the most part, it rocked. I'm not going to give anything away but just wanted to start a thread on it. Let us know what you thought of it.
    Six-time Emmy award-winning news and special projects editor.
    http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/20...years-at-fox-2

I was very disappointed.

Essentially the trailers had given away every single set-piece in the movie.

Apart from that the whole structure felt way too similar to ALIEN with some Däniken nonsense layered on top. And the Engineer being just a simplistic Jason Vorhoes knock-off didnīt help.

I was really looking forward to see something breath-taking. Some epic Giger landscapes or new interesting creatures. But the damn cave with the dumb head and a simple storage room for the urns/eggs is all we get.

If you have seen the trailers, youīve seen it all. Thatīs a very bad strategy, and unfortunately a bad habit these last years.

But the truth is, the movie only has those few locations we see in the trailers. Remember Alien? Also had only a few locations...derelict and inside the Nostromo. But it explored those limited locations patiently and with atmosphere. Not here. It all just rushes by like in a tv pilot.

And the character motivations and actions make no sense at all. Take the geologists, for example. Uhhhuhuh, we are so freaked out with the alien stuff that we have to leave the scene to collect some rocks....hey, look, and alien cobra. letīs touch it!

Script, dialogue and characters are on a G.I. Jane level, IMO. If it werenīt for some of the cool visuals this thing would be un-watchable.

Sorry, donīt want to sound negative or trolley, but this movie seriously pissed me off.

I would hope it's similar to Alien since it was first written as a prequel and still takes place in the same "universe".
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Thanks, Metahumanity. I had an idea that Promethius would be another one of those hyped-up CGI things so I'm glad you've taken the time to fill me in on Promethius before I had wasted my money on it.

Movies are pretty darned expensive these days when you go tho the theatre, and at the going rate of $19.50 per ticket, you've undoubtedly saved an awful lot of folks a bundle of money with your post and review.

I certainly appreciate it.

$19.50? Tickets at my local theatre for Friday at 8pm are only $11.
    ~~Phil Nolan

i'd say it was okay but no classic in the making

dialogue and character motivation was poor at best, felt clunky and lacked depth...it also felt like there was 20 mins missing as in a previous teaser video there was a young weyland talking to an audience....nowhere in the actual movie.

example of poor character development...i can only remember the name of one of the characters...david...no one was developed enough to care about them enough to remember their name!

you know what i'm done with going to the cinema if the film you get is a cut down version to herd people in and out of the seating as fast as possible to max out cash at the EXPENSE of story telling...also being constrained to a 15 ceert in the UK means more cutting room floor footage.

i hope that the dvd [directors cut] can salvage a bit of this film.

it wasn't awful but it wasn't stellar either.

cinema is dead...dvd is the way forward...FULL length versions you can pause when you want to.

Last edited by cresshead; 06-08-2012 at 01:56 PM.
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

I would NEVER take my helmet off when exploring an alien ship...
    shrox www.shrox.com
    -----------------------
    Heavy Metal Landing

-----------------------
    I build the best spaceships, the biggest spaceships, they're great, you'll love them.

oh corks
    Well, I guess I'm in a minority here, but I thought it was outright drivel. Aggressively stupid and utterly boring. Very, very... very... badly written.

Pretty pictures don't mean a thing if your screenplay reads like it was put together by an ignorant, semi-literate fourteen year old with no grasp of sense, meaning, dialogue, pacing, drama or narrative.

The actors had all the charisma and onscreen presence of doorknobs.

I'd say it's exactly as good a movie as Event Horizon or Supernova, so calibrate your expectations accordingly.

Please, Hollywood, please. Just stop trying to make science fiction movies. You're too stupid to make it work.

I didn't even like the effects.

Newbie Member
    You guys just saved some money! I'll wait for the dvd and rent it. Thanks.

I thought it was beautiful to look at, umm, that is all. Steve the young Weyland was a TED talk (http://blog.ted.com/ted2023/) and there were so many holes and overall lack of tension that I was very disappointed. No spoilers for anyone yet to see it, but I can give you a list of questions to answer if you liked it...

B
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

oh corks
    Well, duh.

If I'd found this review before I posted earlier I could just have linked to it and said "I agree with every single word of this":

(Warning! Don't follow this link if you're intending to see the film, because the review CONTAINS SPOILERS.)

http://www.filmfreakcentral.net/ffc/...rometheus.html

I'm not very picky with action / sci-fi movies so I have the feeling I'll enjoy it immensely.
    ~~Phil Nolan

oh corks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    I'm not very picky with action / sci-fi movies so I have the feeling I'll enjoy it immensely.
    The odds are in your favor. It currently has an 87% audience approval rating on Rotten Tomatoes, so it looks like most people do like it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeeVee View Post
    I thought it was beautiful to look at, umm, that is all. Steve the young Weyland was a TED talk (http://blog.ted.com/ted2023/) and there were so many holes and overall lack of tension that I was very disappointed. No spoilers for anyone yet to see it, but I can give you a list of questions to answer if you liked it...

B
    yeh my guess is that we're missing 20mins when we go to the cinema
    stee+cat
    http://www.cresshead.com/

Q - How many polys?
    A - All of them!

Registered User DigitalSorcery8's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Philbert View Post
    Same here. I don't need to have everything explained or shown. I just go to be entertained and chances are I will be by this film. I certainly don't expect everything I see to be perfectly written or perfectly acted or perfectly anything. I just want to enjoy it. Great director, good actors and incredible looking sets... I'm sure I'll be fine.

Look how many COMPLETELY dissed Terranova. It wasn't the best show but people were criticizing the family, the FX, the directing... Hell... it was simply nice, FAMILY entertainment. We enjoyed it. I COULD tear apart everything but I chose not to. It's too bad people just can't simply enjoy something for what it is - mindless entertainment. Or better yet, go out and make something BETTER!

Saddens me to think that I may be able to make a show that lots of kids everywhere would like, but critics - who can't understand the show - would tear it to shreds. Oh well... what can you do?

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast