Thread: Long hair surface based fiberfx

Long hair surface based fiberfx

Long hair surface based fiberfx ? I received a model with the hair modeled (braids included) and I was asked if is possible to add hair using a surface (not guides) and get something like this (not so realistic needed ,sure)

BTW, related with another post I did yesterday: Those polys that represent the hair are animated via mdd so I have to apply hair to them. I asked about using it as collision for hair splines guides without luck

Thanks

Vector

I think it's not posible to model haircut like this without guides. Best result and fastest solution would be model hair with hairfarm hairmesh, export splines via .ase to modeler and apply dynamics in layout. It's kind a tight haircut, so dynamics, just on lossy hair needed.
    Last edited by Richardas; 06-06-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Yes, I agree...I don't think any program can do that without guides.

I did something similar years for the Saboteur game ago using a combination of Modeled curves in Modeler and Strand Modeler, and 3D Coat Retopo (to use as a base for curves in Modeler), and the end result was guide chains. Nowadays, I use more or less the same techniques but I've also added Modo and ZBrush to my toolkit. However, even with these additional tools, the result is still always guide chains.

Tip: I find it easiest to break a hairstyle into multiple elements and use the appropriate tool to create that element, and then assemble the guides in Modeler or Layout. (Use Layout if you need to apply different FiberFX settings to each element.) Trying to create a complex hairstyle in one pass using a single tool is tedious and can get frustrating quickly, especially when you're frequently asked to make changes.

G.

Yes, finally I use the guides from the model, I was afraid what you said but I had to be sure

Vector

Excellent advice above but I think I'm understanding your problem a little differently.

You said you have been given an object with the hair already modeled. And when you say "add hair" I'm assuming you mean as a texture to the already existing geometry, correct? If that's the case, then it really all depends on the geometry your working with. Maybe you could post the object or at least a wire pic).
    For example if the braids are separate "tubes" wrapping around each other you could use UV creeper and get an awesome hair texture going. The other sections could be UVed as well. You could give some sections a faux soft edge using incidence angle on transparency/translucency with a near 100% value at glancing angle.
    Wispy bits will require more work with transparency maps (not clipping), but you may not need to go that far.... you said it didn't need to be uber realistic.

Yes, the geometry is a kind of dummy to guide the fxhair in Maya. I tried to emulate this in LW avoiding the creation of splines, but thanks to people from FXAnimation.es at Barcelona I got it using the geometry as FFX guides and FX Metalink. Not luck using FFX as surface based, by the way, as you said

And I was asked for gettin a FXHair like result using LW avoiding texturing to simulate Hair, very nice if you got good textures and shading as you said, Joe

Vector

Hey vector,
    glad you got it sorted out (or at least on your way) .

And to be frank, what you are trying to do is probably a bit over my head.
    Anyway, just so you could see what I was talking about...cooked this up pretty quick (under 1/2 hr.).
    Ringlet instead of a braid, and pretty quick and dirty all the way around (uv image isn't even all that seamless), but you get the idea..... just in case you need a backup.

I really want to try that ringlet now
    ~~Phil Nolan
    www.philnolan3d.com - Twitter - YouTube
    Win 10 Home x64, Core i7 3.4 GHz, GeForce GT 640, 16GB RAM
    Laptop: Win10 x64, Core I7 8th gen, 1.8 GHz, 16GB RAM

Very, very nice!!

A problem I got is that my guides sometimes show short strips not a continuous braid... may be something with orientation related?