Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: TrueArt's GlobalMaterials promotion only this week

Is it possible to "bake" this to regular surfaces? Ie, the script goes through the flow for each input into the global node editor and pastes it into each corresponding surface. Being able to easily convert it into more standard surfacing would be crucial for me.

Also, what's the deal with the licensing? It says "per machine installed". Is it not following the standard Lightwave method of tying the license to the dongle, which itself is inherently mobile?

It does look very useful though! Kind of like 3ds Max's material editor, but better because LW's nodes aren't as dumb and limited.
    Are my spline guides showing?

TrueArt Support
    It's attached to dongle.

TrueArt Support
    Quote Originally Posted by Alexx View Post
    Something cool would be to add a sort of filter (ie, by name) or selection set node to assign a material to a group of objects at the same time, instead of the one by one method.
    Before I made Spread Global Materials command, I was using Spread Surface plugin for doing it.
    http://www.trueart.pl/?URIType=Direc.../SpreadSurface
    It has filters for items and surfaces.

Spread Global Materials is just adding intercepting node to everything, just one click.

In video I was showing that initially surfaces were empty, no node tree in them, then pressed Spread Global Materials, and Standard material and Global Material intercepting node appeared in them.

What's needed if we want to net render a scene using global materials? Does it work in render-only mode on machines without dongles?
    Last edited by jwiede; 06-09-2012 at 12:40 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2019.1.4 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

Some more questions (no rush for answers, just wondered):

Is there an example of using it to generate the "smooth distribution" between surfaces scenario described on the website? For example, between sand and grass?

Are there any special limitations for TrueGroup groups used in the global node editor?

Is there a significant render-time benefit to only put override nodes on the surfaces to be overridden, versus using SpreadGlobalMaterials to put them on all surfaces (but only "connecting" certain ones)?

Is the global node populated in "override created" order? Seems so but wanted to verify.

Is there an upper limit to the number of override nodes that will appear in the global override node? Is there any way to have more than one "global override node" in a single scene (each with its own editor workspace)?

Finally, is there any way to get rid of an override node entry in the global node? I tried removing the associated override node, but that surface's entry remained in the global node regardless.

Thanks! This plugin solves a number of limitations stemming from the "isolated" nature of nodal surfaces in Lightwave, and allows us to replicate many useful workflows previously limited to packages with "global node-graphs".
    Last edited by jwiede; 06-09-2012 at 03:29 PM.
    John W.

TrueArt Support
    Watch TrueArt's Node Library thread in 3rd party section, that I gave link above- there is showed smooth transition in screen coordinate space, couple items, couple surfaces. Black holes is one material, and rest is another material. With sand-grass, you just need to plug correct material, and define way they blend (f.e. weight map, or procedural texture).

TrueGroup works fine with GlobalMaterials.
    Here is example, I packed multiple occlusion nodes to group, and made Range parameter to group. So, every surface has Range adopted to itself.

Multiple occlusion setups with integer controlling which one to show..

GlobalMaterials used with instances:

GlobalMaterials - occlusion node used to multiple surfaces (connected to Diffuse channel in Standard materials):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GlobalMaterials_12.png 
Views:	286 
Size:	1,014.0 KB 
ID:	104970   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GlobalMaterials_17.png 
Views:	70 
Size:	805.9 KB 
ID:	104971   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GlobalMaterials_18.png 
Views:	285 
Size:	825.8 KB 
ID:	104972   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GlobalMaterials_19.png 
Views:	286 
Size:	629.6 KB 
ID:	104973   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GlobalMaterials_20.png 
Views:	285 
Size:	593.1 KB 
ID:	104974  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GlobalMaterials and TrueGroup 1.png 
Views:	289 
Size:	498.4 KB 
ID:	104975   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GlobalMaterials and TrueGroup 2.png 
Views:	279 
Size:	515.5 KB 
ID:	104976   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GlobalMaterials_11.png 
Views:	810 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	104977  

What happens when I send the scene to a client or a co-worker that hasn't purchased the plugin ? Does it break the shaders or is there a "render only mode" if the plugin is not licensed ?

Edit : sorry, haven't seen that jwiede already asked quite the same question in post #19
    Last edited by omichon; 06-10-2012 at 01:08 AM.
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    Watch TrueArt's Node Library thread in 3rd party section, that I gave link above- there is showed smooth transition in screen coordinate space, couple items, couple surfaces. Black holes is one material, and rest is another material. With sand-grass, you just need to plug correct material, and define way they blend (f.e. weight map, or procedural texture).
    I looked at those examples, and think I understand the workflow for the most part, but didn't quite understand where the values for vector(1) and vector(2) came from? They're bounding the transition region, IIUC (if I understand correctly), but I'm not quite sure I understand what their internal components represent (and can't see their values to dissect).

How did you populate vector(1) and vector(2), and what are the component values for each?

Aside, I'm discovering that once an override is present in the global override node, there doesn't appear to be any way to get rid of it, even if you delete the associated surface override node. Is that expected? Is there any way to "reset" the global override node so it contains just the existing surface override nodes? If not, might be worth adding (and/or add an explicit delete mechanism).

I do have some concerns about how crowded the single global workspace already gets, when multiple override uses are mixed together -- say combining some materials assigned to multiple objects, and a material transition rig as described, it can get rather crowded quickly (because they all have to connect to the same end node). For V2, offering a way to group surface overrides into "global override node groups" would be useful, allowing us to give each usage set their own global workspace.

F.E. the workspaces and override nodes would still be global, there'd just be a "group" param for each surface override designating which global override node receives that surface's override, starting with a single ("Default") global override node & workspace, but allowing users to create more if needed. Doing so then makes the additional global override nodes/workspaces selectable in the surface override nodes as well. The global node editor then just adds a dropbox to select which global override node/workspace to edit. Something like that, anyway, hopefully you understand the suggestion.
    Last edited by jwiede; 06-10-2012 at 06:49 AM.
    John W.

Had a quick look. This looks really nice. Does it solve the lack of instancing in surface editor?
    Since we can't instance a surface attribute in lightwave we have to manually copy each surface to another surface.
    This looks like we update one node and all connected surfaces are updated.
    Lw surface node editor should act like this natively with a subgroup to collapse a bunch of node, like truegroup.

Oh that's a teaser :O Lightwave 11.0.2 :O (screenshot)

TrueArt Support

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    This looks like we update one node and all connected surfaces are updated.
    That's correct.

It's the last day of promotional price. Tomorrow it will be for 50 usd.

Quote Originally Posted by olivier MICHON View Post
    What happens when I send the scene to a client or a co-worker that hasn't purchased the plugin ? Does it break the shaders or is there a "render only mode" if the plugin is not licensed ?
    Same question.

TrueArt Support
    The same what happens when you send scene with any other 3rd party plugin..

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei View Post
    The same what happens when you send scene with any other 3rd party plugin..
    Could you be more explicit, please ?
    Some plugins allow you to share content smoothly (by just locking access to the parameters) some others will make the content impossible to share without a license.
    This is crucial point specially for collaborative work and network rendering.
    Thanks for any clarification.
    www.oliviermichon.fr | 3D Animation, Motion Graphics and Broadcast Design.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast