Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LW11 test - Instancesssssss :)

LW11 test - Instancesssssss :)

Hi !

Here is one Lw11 instancing, radiosity, flocking, etc. etc. test i did recently .

Some scene stats:

- Loaded geometry 3.25 mil polys - 2 different trees, 4 type of cars (subDs levle1 for faster OGL), doves, houses, rocks, terrain, boats, yacht...)
    - Single tree is 700k polys instanced 300k times over terrain (yes 300k) so RENDER polycount would be 700 000 * 300 000 = 210 000 000 000 Polys (So 210 Billions?)
    - Car Hummer SubDs level 3 = 1.15 Million polys instanced 275 times = 316 Million polys
    - Car Corvette C6 SubDs level 3 = 1.7 Million polys instanced 275 times = 467 Million polys
    - Car Camaro SubDs level 3 = 850k polys instanced 275 times = 233 Million polys
    - Car Maserati 3200GT SubDs level 3 = 302k polys instanced 275 times = 83 million polys
    - Rocks, 480 poly instanced 5000 times = 2,4 Million polys
    - terrain - 100k polys subdivided
    - other small stuff...

So in total at RENDER time there is about 212 Billion of polygons rendering IF i calculated right my zeros . Rendertimes are 30-75 minutes per frame on i7/i5 machines, Took me 17 days to render on 2*i7+one i5 (specs in signature) over LWSN, Scene uses 15GB of RAM for rendering over LWSN, Radiosity 2 bounces baked (11 hours) on fastest machine, 720p resolution, AA4/AS16, Tolerance = 0.01, OS = 0.4 - it's not quite there as i would like but i had to decrease it to be able to render "soon" since i don't have render-farm so i cant allow myself 2h/frame rendertimes and this was TEST project so i had to free up machines for clients work and render only in between and over weekends .

I hope you like it .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xZ-gHA9EBk

P.S. compression on YouTube killed clarity a bit but that's the way it is so watch 720p if you can.
    Last edited by Lewis; 05-17-2012 at 04:26 PM.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

I gasped watching this.
    This is amaing work.

Great job!
    -R
    This message does not reflect the opinions of the US Government, CG Networks or CGTALK.com. The opinions expressed on this posting are on my own volition.

That's cool! Well done.

A few of the cars seem to be slightly below/above the ground at the end but that's just a very minor glitch, probably from the instance placement on a non-flat surface.

Great job!
    MikeS [LWProfile] 30+ Yrs of Award-winning Media DreamLight.com

Drag-and-drop-dead-easy™ ScreamerNet - DLI Constellation
    BOOK - Creating a 3D Animated CGI Short & 3D CGI Short Films & DLI Blog

Well Lewis,
    another notch for you.

Well executed for a test.

Easily the start of a movie or glitzy commercial.

Nice numbers and good demonstration. Thanks for showing what can be done!

Thanks guys .

Mike yes front cars are stuck in terrain a bit 'coz terrain is SubDs so it's not perfectly flat there and since i had to have everything for instances at bounding BOXes (for obvious reasons of billions ) or points in openGL i didn't notice it until it was already late so I didn't fix it . and i spend 3 days in rendering small screen/tests without AA/As/PMblur... for camera path to force it go between trees where I want which is tricky 'coz i couldn't see trees in openGL (machine would choke instantly if you try such thing even with fraction of what i have for trees ). Would be nice if we could have silhouette mode for instances, that would show me outer border of tree shape (like clip map shape) so i could AIM in openGL instead render all 3 time sin a row (overnight 3XX*2XX pixels renders ).

But all in all with few more features instances will become our everyday part of workflow .

cheers
    Last edited by Lewis; 05-17-2012 at 02:33 PM.
    RAM-Studio

wow, great work Lewis

That's what I figured about the cars. It wasn't anything to worry about at all, just a minor detail I noticed. My favorite part was when the camera flew right through the trees. Great job Lewis!

Quote Originally Posted by Scazzino View Post
    My favorite part was when the camera flew right through the trees.
    Mine too, and yet that one was most tricky parts 'coz bounding box for pine trees so i had to render, render and render again after each camera movement to put it in sweet spot , but it worked eventually .

Thanks
    RAM-Studio

Very nice!

The camera near & through the trees is good! Thanks for the computer & render info. I hope your electricity bill is not too much!
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

Quote Originally Posted by JonW View Post
    I hope your electricity bill is not too much!
    Hehe,funny thing you mention that, I started at end of April and finished few days ago and our government increased price for Electricity kW/h by 20% as of May 1st. So yeah i'll probably "see it" very clearly on my next electricity bill .
    RAM-Studio

Really cool. The only thing which was odd to me was the ground colour, which needed some instanced grass (or just a grass texture) Either way it looked a bit odd with all of the trees standing on empty ground.. That said as a technical demo it's superb!

Awesome stuff Lewis ! & in the words of Liz Lemon ... I want to go to there

Even with some of those small flaws mentioned, this should/could easily be the NT flagship for LW 11 Instances in my opinion.

PS: Out of curiosity ... did you use any post process to decrease AA flicker ?

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Mine too, and yet that one was most tricky parts 'coz bounding box for pine trees so i had to render, render and render again after each camera movement to put it in sweet spot , but it worked eventually .

Thanks
    I ran into a similar problem in the past using HD_Instance. I ended up making a very low res stand-in of the instances for camera placement and motion only. It really helped for setting up the camera motion path.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobian View Post
    Really cool. The only thing which was odd to me was the ground colour, which needed some instanced grass (or just a grass texture) Either way it looked a bit odd with all of the trees standing on empty ground.. That said as a technical demo it's superb!
    Yeah i though of instancing grass but since i was already of limit of my Render slave (15+GB used out of 16GB) i stopped here 'coz i tested rendering with virtual memory nad render times were 3x longer than with real RAM . So regardless of my plan to use 3 different types of grass i had to go without it .

Quote Originally Posted by adk View Post
    Even with some of those small flaws mentioned, this should/could easily be the NT flagship for LW 11 Instances in my opinion.

PS: Out of curiosity ... did you use any post process to decrease AA flicker ?
    Thanks man, i used little bit of standard "grain remover" in AE and added some bloom/exposition (just a little bit like 0.3+) but flicker was mostly decreased with higher Oversampling (0.4) but it also killed little bit of details.

I'd be happiest if i could render this with AA 8 As 32, Tolerance 0.01, OS 0.1 but rendertimes in that case on fastest machine are close to 2h per frame and i couldn't do that 'coz my clients work would suffer then and I'd still be rendering this now so it would go to about 30 days of rendering . Since it's more Tech DEMO than real project i opted this is enough to show some of LW11 features .

Quote Originally Posted by Scazzino View Post
    I ran into a similar problem in the past using HD_Instance. I ended up making a very low res stand-in of the instances for camera placement and motion only. It really helped for setting up the camera motion path.
    Yeah, if it was real project I'd have to go with similar tricks/optimizations especially for trees in distance....but i wanted to push it up to limits to see will it hold . Actually this project cost me new RAM. I had 8GB in renderslave and in middle of project i got to store and bought 4*4GB for my renderslave 'coz it was unbearable to render with 8GB + Vmemory (only scene preparation in that case takes 30 minutes to START rendering )
    RAM-Studio

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast