Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Seriously thinking of switching

Seriously thinking of switching

I'm sick of Apple's silence about the Mac Pro refresh, and I'm considering moving over to Windows. Looked at HP workstations yesterday. I configured the following..

Intel® Xeon® E5-2680 2.70 20MB 1600 8C
    Intel® Xeon® E5-2680 8C 2.70 20MB 1600 CPU-2 (Must be same speed as Processor 1.)
    HP Z820 Localization Kit
    HP Dual Processor Air Cooling Kit (Supported with Dual Processors only.)
    AMD FirePro V7900 2GB Graphics
    HP 16GB (8x2GB) DDR3-1600 2-CPU RAM
    HP 1000GB SATA 7200 1st HDD
    16X SuperMulti DVDRW SATA 1stODD
    HP Single Unit Packaging
    HP USB Standard Keyboard
    No Included Mouse
    HP 3/3/3 Warranty

Cost after 27% discount $7,395.12 including Tax!

That is one kick *** machine, and it's everything I can do to hold myself back. After WWDC I'm switching if Apple remains tight lipped! Plus a 3 year warranty, and it's shipping!

My big question is how difficult is this switch going to be for me? I have never used Windows....ever. My plan is to basically use Windows just for Lightwave in the beginning. I have a one year old 27" iMac for everything else. As I get more comfortable, I'll slowly migrate everything I need over. I am just plain fed up with Apple! They can't pull their heads out of their #$% long enough to realize they have other products besides iPad, and iPhone. Looking for good constructive help here. Also, very excited about all the plugins that will be coming my way. Thanks!
    Last edited by Tony3d; 05-05-2012 at 08:14 AM.

DO it! I would advice most people that LW on pc has to have more advantages than MAC ??? but I hate macs

You won't regret it, and you can always keep your MAC around since you already have one.
    Last edited by ben martin; 05-05-2012 at 09:12 AM.

It will be painful, at first.

But after a bit, you will ... well, you will see diffs in how you work with apps and that will be the biggest grind to get over.

As an aside, if you already have mac pro, why not upgrade it, motherboard and all? Or are they made that differently? (Yeah, dumb question.)

Quote Originally Posted by UnCommonGrafx View Post
    It will be painful, at first.

But after a bit, you will ... well, you will see diffs in how you work with apps and that will be the biggest grind to get over.

As an aside, if you already have mac pro, why not upgrade it, motherboard and all? Or are they made that differently? (Yeah, dumb question.)
    Lightwave runs exactly the same correct? I'd be running Lightwave saving, and backing up projects. Can you burn backups with just the OS, or do you need a program like Toast? Can someone tell me what I would definitely need to buy software wise to get up, and running? Is there any resources to guide me along the way? This is totally foreign territory for me! Really am thinking it's the way I should be heading though.

Registered User DigitalSorcery8's Avatar
    Just a thought... but before going with HP, you may want to check out other systems. I've configured a more powerful system (dual 2.8 Xeons; 48gb RAM, nVidia Quadro 4000) at this vendor for quite a bit less and will probably order workstations for our new studio (when feasible) from these guys:

http://www.aspensystemsdirect.com/

If you can't get the exact configuration you want online, you can email them and they were MORE than helpful creating a quote for a great system. I just found them several weeks ago.

Just FYI.

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSorcery8 View Post
    Just a thought... but before going with HP, you may want to check out other systems. I've configured a more powerful system (dual 2.8 Xeons; 48gb RAM, nVidia Quadro 4000) at this vendor for quite a bit less and will probably order workstations for our new studio (when feasible) from these guys:

http://www.aspensystemsdirect.com/

If you can't get the exact configuration you want online, you can email them and they were MORE than helpful creating a quote for a great system. I just found them several weeks ago.

Just FYI.
    Yes, those are a better deal. Thanks for the link.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony3d View Post
    Cost after 27% discount ....
    That's a healthy discount. Where's it coming from?
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Quote Originally Posted by jeric_synergy View Post
    That's a healthy discount. Where's it coming from?
    I guess because I own a business. The rep just offered it to me.

As a former "Mac user" turn Mac/Win user, if you make the leap just decide to do it. There are differences in the OS GUI, but at the end of the day it's basically 2 different ways to do the same thing. I fought going Windows for a long time but now it's just another tool.

The only thing keeping me around on the Mac is FCP. I do most everything else in Windows now just because it's convenient.

I love the Mac OS and use a Mac Pro but if I was to do it over I would go PC. The 3D world is going GPU and Mac's are being stuck in the dark ages with a lack of graphics cards compared to the PC.

Lightwave runs exactly the same correct?
    Mouse opearions differs
    I'd be running Lightwave saving, and backing up projects. Can you burn backups with just the OS, or do you need a program like Toast?
    If you have a DVD-RW hardware drive mounted, Windows allows direct DVD/CD burn witout the need of any other external software.
    Also there are free open source software to do it like www.cdburnerxp.se/

Can someone tell me what I would definitely need to buy software wise to get up, and running?
    -Windows 7_x64 OS
    -Lightwave x64
    All the rest is up to you, you can install PhotoShop or something similar.
    There are also open source options like http://www.gimp.org/

Is there any resources to guide me along the way? This is totally foreign territory for me! Really am thinking it's the way I should be heading though.
    Windows is pretty much like OS-MAC the differences are about true multitask claims on MAC-OS side and the price of hardware.
    MAC is a lock system PC is completely open regarding hardware and software upgrades.
    Windows OS versions, normally don't block user software previously working on old OS versions.

All the rest is pretty much self-explanatory and similar.

Lightwave runs exactly the same correct?
    NO, it runs Better on windows and has less bugs and in some cases it can be faster to render too .
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/x TitanX(M) + 2x GTX 1080Ti + GTX 1080
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

Quote Originally Posted by BigHache View Post
    As a former "Mac user" turn Mac/Win user, if you make the leap just decide to do it. There are differences in the OS GUI, but at the end of the day it's basically 2 different ways to do the same thing. I fought going Windows for a long time but now it's just another tool.

The only thing keeping me around on the Mac is FCP. I do most everything else in Windows now just because it's convenient.
    Funny. I was the exact opposite. I fought Mac for years. And was ready to cave in and go Mac to get FCP, then they announced FCX and I hesitated. Now the lack of an updated MacPro has me re-thinking things and probably stay on PC.

You will not regret it. Almost every program runs better with fewer bugs, and much better support from the developer. (The exception of course is apps bought by Apple, when they then kill the PC version.) I made the switch from being the biggest Mac fan out there (I had the first Mac early Feb 1984) to being a huge PC fan back during 2000-2001, and, wow, I was amazed what I had been missing out on with my devotion to the mac.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast