Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Eyelid Bulge Solution (Almost)

Eyelid Bulge Solution (Almost)

Hi all,

I'm trying to create a rig whereby the eyelids are deformed by the cornea, and the most promising results I've achieved thus far is by making a scaled morph of the lids, with the amount of the morph being influenced by the proximity of a null that is parented to the front of the eye, with a gradient falloff surrounding the null. The effect of this is that the lids scale outwards around the cornea.

Now there are some mismatch issues that I haven't resolved yet, but the biggest hurdle is that when I rotate the character's head (or anything further up the heirarchy) the bulge strays away from the null, despite setting the Item Info output to World Position. Setting Spot Info to World Spot doesn't do the job either.

I adapted this from a more generic node network I found somewhere, and I'm not entirely certain what's going on under the hood... so if someone who's more dominant in the left hemisphere than I am could shed some light on this - or even suggest an altogether better eye bulge solution - it would be much appreciated.

(c:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eyelid_bulge_1a.gif 
Views:	3693 
Size:	4.79 MB 
ID:	104062   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eyelid_bulge_nodes_1a.jpg 
Views:	3333 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	104063  

You could use effectors. Up until recently they were broken when parented to something, but this was fixed in 10 I think, so you should be able to have them parented to your eyes and have them affect the eyes that way.
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Thanks for the suggestion, the problem with effectors though is that they tamper with the eyelid thickness. If there was a way to maintain the volume they'd probably be ideal.

 
    effectors could work, but a bit harsh effect though...
    http://youtu.be/wvYr8V1MXb0

(edit; much less hars when setting SubD to last)

 
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by erikals; 05-05-2012 at 05:38 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

I like your nodal work.
    I believe it is the world info you are feeding in that is the problem; It needs to be local or locally translated for what you want to be done.

If you have the bumpage happening in world space, it happens there on whatever it is designed to work on. Turning the head says the bump would "swim" through the eyes as the eyes passed the spot in the world where the bumpage is occurring.

It's early and this is a fun thought.

You need to feed it some positional data that will move/rotate with the head.
    Cool exercise.

And guys, the effector CAN NOT do what he has going on here. Look at the pull of 'skin' he has as it moves up and around. The effector can't do that without... workarounds or massive tweaks.

i think the pull of the skin is just the morphs... not the node setup.

(btw, when using the effector method, setting SubD order to last makes the mesh look very good,
    it smooths out the deformation, so can probably cut the effectors down to 1 or 2 per eye...)
     

 
    SubD set to Last...
    http://youtu.be/kpY-7ra3HTc
     

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Is it not world spot ur wanting?
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

erikals, does your example have eyelids with any thickness to them though? If it does, I think you'll find that the lips of the lids will appear squashed thin by the effector when it passes them, leaving a gap between them and the cornea.

Robert - I'd have thought that world position would mean that the ultimate position of the null would be tracked in world space irrespective of the heirarchy it belongs to, but I guess not. Incidentally, when the head rotates, the bump travels in the same direction as it, but much faster, as if the motion is being multiplied. Not sure if that helps identify the cause. As for feeding in positional data that follows the head, well that seems to makes sense, but implementing such a thing would be beyond my present cranial capacity...

Also I do have the eyelids rigged to follow the eyeball a little, which accounts for some of that skin drag appearance.

RebelHill - I've tried variations of the other outputs on both Item Info and Spot Info (including World Spot), but no dice.

Thanks for pitching in guys. I might have a look at reverse engineering this thing to see if I can reproduce it on a simpler rig (although I was hoping it wouldn't come to that).

(c:

I'd suggest posting your scene. Letting these guys at it may yield beyond even what you are trying to accomplish.

Yes, good info to know.

Well, I just tried World Spot again, for the nth time, just to make absolutely certain it doesn't work, and of course now it works. Typical. I put it down to gremlins and pixies, or possibly LW's occasional tendency to change its mind about things after a reboot.

Whatever the case, thanks for keeping me on the scent - I'm still interested in hearing alternative solutions though in case the gremlins return (or never left in the first place)...

(c:

HOLD THE PRESS... I knew something must have been off. Only ONE of the eyes works, and not quite properly. The other one has the eyeball intersecting the eylid when I rotate the head. Back to the drawing board.
    Last edited by Chris Jones; 05-05-2012 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Jones View Post
    erikals, does your example have eyelids with any thickness to them though? If it does, I think you'll find that the lips of the lids will appear squashed thin by the effector when it passes them, leaving a gap between them and the cornea.
    works :]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B8iN2gZvd0

 

Try this scene. Hope it helps. Any question, I'm here.

Not an eyelid, and different nodal network....but should be the same principle.
    Lino Grandi
    3D Development, LightWave 3D Group/NewTek, Inc.

https://www.lightwave3d.com/

LightWave 3D Group YouTube channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Official...?feature=watch

My YouTube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/linograndi?feature=mhee

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lino.grandi View Post
    Try this scene. Hope it helps. Any question, I'm here.

Not an eyelid, and different nodal network....but should be the same principle.
    interestingly if u rotate the main object itself rather than its bones, the displacement still drifts.

something seems fishy to me cos the original post method should work, if u paste the network into surface lum or somesuch, it works to always shade the area of geo ud think should displace, but doesnt use that same mapping in disp node.

bug maybe?
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast