Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mesh deformation slow down

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Mesh deformation slow down

I'm getting serious mesh deformation slow down in v11.0.1

After alittle trouble shooting, I think the culprit is fiberFX. When I have all my fiberFX layers turned off, the mesh deformation speeds up, back to normal.

It may have something to do with Lightwave thinking 'draw' hair mode is on when clearly, it is firmly off in the FiberFX UI.

Has anyone else had similar problems?
    Last edited by SaturnX; 04-29-2012 at 06:22 AM.
    "Believe in your character. Animate (or write) with sincerity."
    — Glen Keane

FFX has a severe problem in v11.0.1.
    It's pretty slow unless you ticked off those layers. Just deactivate FFX in the filter doesn't help it. But you loose your layer settings by doing that. In my opinion you just better to stick with v11 for the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by VermilionCat View Post
    FFX has a severe problem in v11.0.1.
    It's pretty slow unless you ticked off those layers. Just deactivate FFX in the filter doesn't help it. But you loose your layer settings by doing that. In my opinion you just better to stick with v11 for the moment.
    Too late, I'm already committed fully to v11.0.1 (I thought we'd have bug fixes, not more things broken.. )

I had severe crashes using FFX in v11.0, v11.0.1 seemed to fix alot of that. Quite a relief actually.
    I have 1500 frames in one of the shots I'm working on, involving a slow motion moth. So you can imagine how painful this has been.
    It would crash approx every 10-12 frames. So there was plenty of trouble shooting involved and the culprit was always FFX.
    It was hard work. Sometimes a bad frame, wouldn't crash when you did an F9 on it. So it was kind of random crashing at times which didn't help.
    I had to keep changing layer settings in FFX, depending on what weight map was setup on which piece of geometry etc.
    What might work on one frame, wouldn't work on another, so Layout would crash. But like i said already, 11.0.1 seemed to fix those rendering issues.

LW11.0 32bit seemed more consistant in not crashing on bad frames, but it can't handle the HDR lighting I have for more than one frame.
    (I use LW64 for most of my rendering these days)

FFX is very capable. Hopefully NewTek will keep the patches coming.
    Last edited by SaturnX; 04-30-2012 at 01:25 PM.
    — Glen Keane

Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    That happened to me once last week. After restarting my computer the slow down went away though, so I'm not sure what was up. I'll probably be working with hair/fur tests a lot this week so I'll let you know if it happens again and if I notice any particular cause.
    I can't seem to shake the slow down issue. I've tried it on two computers. It's the same in both 32bit and 64bit...

I'm able to turn off the ffx layers until i do a render so it's not too bad for now.
    — Glen Keane

That happened to me once last week. After restarting my computer the slow down went away though, so I'm not sure what was up. I'll probably be working with hair/fur tests a lot this week so I'll let you know if it happens again and if I notice any particular cause.

Really? Hmmm, then maybe you're right since I didn't dig into that much like you did and what you are doing is way ahead than mine. I'll try again when the patch is available.

I have a question btw. Hope you can help me.
    When you edit your guides in Layout sometimes you lose your edited guides. I don't understand what causes this. Is there any specific rules regarding this?

I just ran into this on a small test scene this morning. The scene was running fine last Friday. I'll let you know if I can figure what's bogging the scene down.

Oh, now that's weird.

I just reopened the scene and noticed the slowdown, so I opened the FFX panel to see what was up. That's when I saw that an additional object had FFX enabled that shouldn't have had it. Maybe this was a mistake I made but that's not the weird part. When I disabled this object and left FFX enabled for the object that was supposed have FFX, the scene sped back up to realtime again.

FYI, the object that was supposed to have FFX applied were guide chains animated using ClothFX, and that works perfectly fine in the scene. The object that slows down Lightwave with FFX enabled has FFX applied to a surface, not guides.

I'm guessing the slowdown has something to do with the FFX settings for that object because I haven't previously run into this slowdown with other objects where I've used surface based fibers.

Sorry, I don't have time right now to look at the settings (assuming that's where the problem is,) but I'll let you know what I learn when I able to revisit this scene and examine it more closely.

G.

I know this doesn't help you but I did figure out why that additional item was active in my scene file: when I disabled FFX for that item last Friday, I must have simply unchecked the On box, but of course you need to explicitly click the Deactivate button to permanently switch FFX off for a selected object. I already knew that but...d'oh!

I'll try to get back to learning what's causing my slowdown when that item is active later this evening.

Hmm. I'm seeing the FFX slowdown in another scene I'm working on in 11.0.1. I tried opening the file 11.0 but it crashes there. Reopens fine in 11.0.1 though. Not sure what's up yet.

At first I suspected the use of texture maps for Density and Scale, but that doesn't seem to be it. When I remove these, Layout's response is still slow until I deactivate FiberFX.

Weird. I don't think it was doing this before. Maybe it's a 11.0.1 bug?

I think it has to do with Fiber Density--set to zero, the scene speeds up again. Makes sense I guess but I don't understand why interactivity is affected when the Draw option is disabled. I would think Lightwave shouldn't be calculating this stuff unless Draw is enabled or until it's rendering.

Anyway, that's what I've got for now. Let me know if you find anything.

Okay, here's another bit of weirdness: remember the scene that was really slow earlier, where I disabled FiberFX from that one object that wasn't supposed to have FFX applied? I just reactivated and applied surface based FFX to it, and Layout's interactivity is just fine.

Next time this happens, I'm going to save the FFX settings to see if the slowdown can be reproduced with the settings in another scene.

Anyway, since you still have your 'slow scene' try this: save your FFX settings, fully deactivate FFX by removing the plug-in from Pixel Filter, and then save a copy of your scene and quite Lightwave. Now, launch Lightwave and reopen the file. Activate FFX and load the settings. Is it still slow?

Just curious.

G.

Newbie Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenlaw View Post
    Okay, here's another bit of weirdness: remember the scene that was really slow earlier, where I disabled FiberFX from that one object that wasn't supposed to have FFX applied? I just reactivated and applied surface based FFX to it, and Layout's interactivity is just fine.

Next time this happens, I'm going to save the FFX settings to see if the slowdown can be reproduced with the settings in another scene.

Anyway, since you still have your 'slow scene' try this: save your FFX settings, fully deactivate FFX by removing the plug-in from Pixel Filter, and then save a copy of your scene and quite Lightwave. Now, launch Lightwave and reopen the file. Activate FFX and load the settings. Is it still slow?

Just curious.

G.

Hey G..

Thanks for that. Lots of interesting information there!
    In the process of trying your suggestion I noticed something strange right away...

First I need to explain quickly the setup of the moth's body in my scene.
    The moth is three different object layers. Body, Legs and wings.
    For the body section for example, I applied hair to the body section via weightmaps. There is a weightmap for the head, Mid body and tail. All the hair is applied within layout only, so there's no hair guides from modeler etc. In order for each weightmap area to get different fiber settings, I had to 'clone' within ffx, the object layer for the body. So two clones of the body layer. (When i first started this scene initially in v11.0, FFX wouldn't let me apply hair via multiple weightmaps on the one object layer, that's the main reason for cloning the layer)

Now, this is the problem i noticed in trying your idea, the cloned items I have on the body via FFX for example now have options missing, in this case their texture option for Max Fiber Density. Infact, that option is now called Fiber Quantity in the cloned layer.

I'm going to have to investigate this further, I've a feeling re-installing v11.0 is on the cards...

That last post was from me by the way... incase you're wondering!
    — Glen Keane

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast