Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tricaster Iso Record

Tricaster Iso Record

Hi Guys ,
    Im new the the forum and the tricaster family I have a couple of questions for the forum please excuse me if they seem somewhat silly .We are looking at purchasing a tricaster model with the aim of covering a multitude of sporting events/corporate/television work with live broadcasting via Fibre/satt/internet options.we were looking at a tricaster 850 Extreme but then along came NAB and it has changed our options with the new 855 with CS and Iso Recording I need help please as most of my research was done for the 850 Extreme how does the new 855 compare ?

my 2nd questions is about the iso record ability .... given you can Iso 8 options assuming you are automatically going to iso your program out that leaves you with 7 input iso options ... what I want to know is can you use the remaining options as live replys ? IE similar to an EVS system .... you can record your iso source use it as a live reply option .... why ask this ? well I know newtek have the 3 play system but why put the ISO feature on the main production switcher ? I know it will be very handy for post producing and fixing up any problems but its not much use in a "live " broadcast enviroment can any one shead any light on this for me as Im not really seeing much point to having the ISO capability if it cant be used as a replay option .

Do the units have any short comings that people have found ? I have worked within the television industry for over 16 years and have a good understanding of how the system works .Again Thanks every one for their time .

Cheers
    Andrew

Newtek has an accessory called the Time Warp that allows you to control recordings to the DVR bins, but you can only clip and sort one bin at a time. There's also no timeline, clip sorting, or prioritizing features. Finally, there's only one mouse on a Tricaster.

So if you're trying to put together multicamera replay packages, the Threeplay is the way to go.

If you just want to instant-replay your program or one of your inputs, the Timewarp works great for that.

Look at the user interface for the Threeplay, and you'll see what the big deal is.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Quote Originally Posted by very-short View Post
    Hi Guys ,
    ... how does the new 855 compare ?
    855 has everything 850 EXTREME does, plus:

• included control surface
    • supports keying for both LiveSet Inputs
    • anaglyph 3D effect
    • Transwarp™ Animation Stores (dynamic cloth effects)
    • updated Animation Store Creator app
    • native Quicktime capture
    • vastly improved system restore

Hi Guys ,
    ... what I want to know is can you use the remaining options as live replys ? IE similar to an EVS system .... you can record your iso source use it as a live reply option ....
    IsoCorder can support replay, but not to the same extent that 3Play does. Only TriCaster's primary record channel has an option to automatically add clips to a DDR playlist (though the other 7 can be added manually, of course). You'd probably want a TimeWarp control surface if you were planning to do this.

Unlike a 3Play, playing IsoCorder clips back as replays requires that you stop capturing to that clip - which results in breaks in that particular capture file. If, for example, your primary record channel was Program, you'd probably use a secondary record channel so that you could capture an uninterrupted program as well as the 'chopped up' clips from the primary. You'd need the TimeWarp to control this. With a 3Play, all 8 channels can be recorded without interruption even while playing back from those channels.

Do the units have any short comings that people have found ?
    I guess the question is, 'compared to what?' It would certainly be possible to put together a suite that replicated what a TriCaster can do, and that would in some instances exceed that - but at substantial cost in terms of dollars, space, and perhaps number of operators, too.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Guys Thank you very much for the info yes the 855 is looking like the best option , From the reply point of view I understand what you are getting at another question would be can the Iso be lived switched ? similar to the older way of tape machines as no one had a tape machine for every camera angle . My Comment about any shortfalls wasnt meant to in any way discredit the newtek brand it was more if people had bought a unit and found the odd limitation .these units are a very powerfull piece of gear that has bought the cost of producing live video well within the budget of most people .

Again Thanks we hadnt budgeted for a 3play system and it might well be that we cant stretch to purchase one but we will need the reply option .

You can make the FX bus your Primary Record and then switch that separately. That would allow you to route one camera on the fly to record and change that whenever you wanted.

You can't re-switch the entire ISO records on the TriCaster though. You'd need to take the files to an NLE to do that.

Kris
    TriCasters: Mini, 410, 460, 850, 850 Extreme, 855 & 8000
    Replay: 3Play 820
    CG: LiveText3 - With LT[Scoreboards]
    Cameras: Sony NX5
    Macros: YoungMonkey MasterControl, Belkin N52

Quote Originally Posted by kltv View Post
    You can make the FX bus your Primary Record and then switch that separately. That would allow you to route one camera on the fly to record and change that whenever you wanted.

You can't re-switch the entire ISO records on the TriCaster though. You'd need to take the files to an NLE to do that.

Kris
    Cool Thanks very much for the info .

Guys Im guessing the time wrap controller is the following TriCaster 850 TW ??

Yup. This is the one you want: http://www.newtek.com/products/acces...tc-850-tw.html

Kris

Looking at this for the first time for a potential project. Just to clarify, with an 850 TW I could record program on a secondary recording, and, say, AUX on primary. Using the 850 TW I could start and stop the primary recording to replay those clips, but the secondary recordings would continue recording during those breaks?
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

Correct.

Kris

Thomas TV2
    Can I ask: How about in the 855. Is it possible to record any of the 8 inputs and stop/break the recording in a live session and then add the clip into DDR1 or 2 without any interrupts to the program out ?

My setup is this:

In a live-program, I have a LiveU (livecamera) input on SDi input 6.
    I want to record the LiveU while I am doing the Program and then show the LiveU recordings during the Program.

Is this possible ?

Thomas

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    With a TimeWarp and recording the Aux out you should be able to do this. Audio on the other hand might not be as simple. Would the audio be via embedded Sdi or analog?
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Thomas TV2
    Hi Jef

The audio is embeddet sdi. But I was wundering if the 855 could do as descreibed. Record it on the isorecorder and make a stoprecord and add it on the DDR 1 og 2 ?

I am on a 850 now and would maybe like do upgrade it to the 855 :-)

Thomas

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Quote Originally Posted by abcwille View Post
    Hi Jef

The audio is embeddet sdi. But I was wundering if the 855 could do as descreibed. Record it on the isorecorder and make a stoprecord and add it on the DDR 1 og 2 ?

I am on a 850 now and would maybe like do upgrade it to the 855 :-)

Thomas
    I will have to check the audio routing theory I have later today on my 855.

I will post back my results.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

I don't foresee any issues with that. You'd assign the LiveU cam as Primary, and TW operations will chop that up for you on the fly. You can opt to record the wild audio from the source (by directly selecting Cam 6 in Record config) or record the LiveU cam via Aux, and set up the audio using the Aux audio mix. Your main Program recording would be a Secondary in this case.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast