Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there a way to "give" Newtek codecs to Mac users?

Is there a way to "give" Newtek codecs to Mac users?

I spoke to a good client today about eliminating a bunch of his old standups from his project file, which is around 125gb. He was amenable to this idea, and asked if we could drop them on a drive for him. No problem, I say. Then he tells me they're for him to play with on his Mac.

Putting them on a Mac-formatted drive is not the issue, because we use MacDrive. But he wants to put outtakes into loops in his business for the amusement of his waiting customers.

Had we known this a few years ago, we might have captured them differently. As it is, there is a ragtag assortment of RTVs (this guy goes back to VT[2] times), and SpeedHQ AVIs. And because this is a quick drive-cleaning (ONLY to save project load times), we already do not have time to re-render hours of video.

So, is there a way we can inject/give/install SpeedHQ and RTV to his Mac? Is there a way to trick a Mac, or can it simply not be done?

I await your answer, O wise Newtek hivemind.

Dan

You can use AVID codecs for Quicktime. They are high res, and cross platform.

get them at http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ility/en372311
    Will Silver
    Animator
    digital TRiP
    "Frak'em all! I USE LIGHTWAVE!"

I'm confused.

Are you saying that installing the Avid QT codecs on a Mac will let the Mac read Newtek RTVs and SpeedHQs? (Which is exactly what I'm after.)

Or are you suggesting we install the Avid QTs on my PC-based Newtek gear *and* the customer's Mac to give cross-platform codec compatibility?

Please elucidate.

Dan

When I have a situation like that, what I do is sell the customer on a window dub (time-coded video) usually fit on a DVD, but at times I made files. The benefit to this is it gives the customer a way to reference exactly what piece of video they want in whatever format they prefer. The rendering time you spend will save you just as much when the customer hands you an EDL with all the edits ready for you.
    I find that my customers are more obliging towards a window dub because it ends up being more cost efficient.
    For Is and Is-not though with Rule and Line
    And UP-AND-DOWN by Logic I define,
    Of all that one should care to fathom, I
    was never deep in anything but--Wine.

Batch export it all to Avid DNxHD 145 as Mov files.

To elucidate what my predcessor may have insinuated, albeit inconclusively, the proclivity of alternate (specifically macintosh) operating sytems to preclude the installation of disavowed protocols (specifically Windows codecs) precipitates the need for reconciliatory intermediate formats providing mutual agreeability, and thus to facilitate your extemporaneous expedition and the forwarding of the aforementioned materials in an inequivocably intercommunicable algorithm, I recommend the multitudinous exportation of the media in question into the Avid MOV format which demontrates interoperability between the otherwise incompatible factions (Mac and PC) and can provide adequate resolutiuonal scaleability to satisfy even the most discerning clients with however furtive a propensity to 'amuse his waiting customers'.

Hope that helps

vt[3] rgb32

microsoft uncompressed rgb avi otherwise known as something like yuv32 in vt[4] works cross platform and is lossless...

NDI Camera
    TriCaster Mini Advanced Edition
    Lightwave 11
    SpeedEdit 2.5

Music by www.soundtraxxmusic.com

I've been biting my tongue through this thread, waiting for a time when I could mention that we have new codec packs in the works that should make all of this much simpler.

Now that NAB has passed, I can say that with NewTek's upcoming codec pack for OS X, Mac applications can read and write SpeedHQ Quicktime files (24 and 32bit), and can even read SpeedHQ AVIs. A similar new codec pack for Windows allows reading and writing of both AVI and Quicktime SpeedHQ files (the latter requires Quicktime to be installed on the system, of course).
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Tasty news, Steve.
    Toasting with NewTek since 1991 - Corinthian Media Services
    Riding Quiet on an Electric Ninja.

Great news Steve!!!

... when is the ETA on SE for the Mac platform

Quote Originally Posted by donx View Post
    ... when is the ETA on SE for the Mac platform
    Well, really, it would have to come some time after the 128 bit Amiga version.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks Steve,

I nearly destroyed my keyboard, spitting out the water I just drank, laughing.

from Steve... "Well, really, it would have to come some time after the 128 bit Amiga version."
    I think Steve's on to something.....

http://www.vincentperkins.com/AmigaNG/hardware.php

OK, so the new Amiga is only 64-bit, but who's quibbling....

Yeah, but with this Amiga, and the correct OS, there's no need to wait for new codecs, it will run the ones NewTek has already released.

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_AMIGAmini.aspx

Don't think what will help the original poster though.

Looking forward to OS X codec support.

I made my post to elicit some chuckles, but your link certainly certainly looks interesting.

It does look interesting - an Intel PC in a Mac Mini style case (well, really Macs are Intel PCs these days too) so you could run Windows, OS X or whatever Intel OS on it. Commodore OS Vision looks interesting in the video, fun effects on the menus - it's a GNU LINIX based OS, and available for download. I keep meaning to try it in VirtualBox, but haven't gotten around to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast