Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Fax Machines Still Exist

Video Producer, So Calif.
    All I care is that my fax faithfully spits out client PO's, wire transfer confirmations, and credit card payments. Happy to put up with arcane tech and an extra phone line if it's where the actual $$ comes in! Sure, I could do it all via other methods, but when a accounts payable rep wants your fax #, best to have a machine loaded with ink and paper to get his money.
    www.TakeOneDigital.com
    Live webcasting from concept to broadcast * OC/LA/San Diego and Nationwide
    TC's: 300, 455, 460, Mini
    Cams: Sony PXW-X200, Pany HE-120 PTZ
    Cxns: HD-SDI over coax and fiber

All of the old timers will appreciate this when we moved to a new location last year, I found a brand new in the box Sony VP 5000 3/4" player, and a pristine condition Panasonic M2 recorder in a road cse with the old disentegrated foam all over the the darn thing ....any takers?? Man this thread has me feeling old...

Chris LInes
    Southwest Audio Visual
    www.southwestav.com

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by rg7fan View Post
    All of the old timers will appreciate this when we moved to a new location last year, I found a brand new in the box Sony VP 5000 3/4" player, and a pristine condition Panasonic M2 recorder in a road cse with the old disentegrated foam all over the the darn thing ....any takers?? Man this thread has me feeling old...

Chris LInes
    Southwest Audio Visual
    www.southwestav.com
    Ooooo lawdy, that takes me back.
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Many people barely begin to scratch the surface of what their computers can do. They use computers not because they like them but because they need them. "Send an attachment? Huh? Scanner? I don't have a scanner. All I have is a computer and a printer."

A FAX machine is a scanner and printer (better because they don't have to load toner or buy ink for it) and dumb-ed down enough that all they need to know is how to use a phone and load the paper face-down-top-first.

I was tech-ing a convention for a company many years ago and I mentioned to the VP they could probably save a ton of money on long distance fees by sending emails and using the internet for logging on to their corporate system. He said that FAX's were more secure. I tried to tell him about encryption but he literally just turned away. It was like if I didn't have a complete solution to hand him, he couldn't be bothered to figure it out.

Why do people still have FAX machines? Because it is the lazy way out, therefor there is a market. Because people just can't be bothered to figure out how to use the camera's in their phones to replace a scanner their office doesn't have. Because people do business with others who require a FAX to be sent...and they don't know that Outlook can send a FAX. Most people think learning is "hard" so they don't do it. Hell, forget learning, most people don't even bother to think.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    haven't had a normal fax machine in over 5-6 years now. Have been using electronic fax solutions since a couple years before then.

Despite the expense of the hard POTS line, despite the expense of the machine, despite the expense of the paper/toner replacements, people still use them. I do see it rapidly declining though.

I love just getting an email with a pdf of the received fax. no fuss no muss. from wherever I am in the world. all for pennies.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    It was like if I didn't have a complete solution to hand him, he couldn't be bothered to figure it out.
    You're right there Dexter, and why I started this thread in this forum. TriCaster = Complete Solution. I had planned on writing something elaborate, but I'll spare you and keep it to my blog. Besides, I'm hungry.
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    NewTek Certification Testing Center
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

TriCaster: All Models
    Cameras: Sony HDC-P1, X300

My opinion, uncensored. The blog at www.sandyaudiovisual.com.

Tricaster does not equal complete solution. It did not come with a Centronix Bi-directional Parallel Interface.

Consultant
    Jokes aside. I saw one of those on a new computer the other day. What gives? Is there some retro popular device on the market?
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by SantiagoVa View Post
    It did not come with a Centronix Bi-directional Parallel Interface.
    Setting that one issue aside, I want to say once again that - whatever your NAB expectations are for TriCaster - prepare to have your socks knocked off. It's been fun watching longtime staffers, even those who have had an idea of what was coming for weeks, walking around with these stunned grins on their faces and raving about how insane it all is. A simple feature list just doesn't begin to convey things properly.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by PIZAZZ View Post
    haven't had a normal fax machine in over 5-6 years now. Have been using electronic fax solutions since a couple years before then.
    I concur with Jef. We have used the electronic/online fax systems since 1999. We still have our old "fax machine" on top of a file cabinet, but it has been unplugged for at least a year. Probably used it 2-3 times/year for the prior five years.

We don't yet have a scanner (though this is under consideration for a couple upcoming projects), but we have often used a camera and Acrobat PRO to create and edit "scanned" documents. Thinking back, we did have a scanner in the past, but it had a SCSI interface, so we gave it away years ago.

Fortunately, as time goes on, more and more companies are getting on board with PDF and e-mail!

Sincerely,
    Tim Hedegaard
    Virtualsets.com, Inc.
    NewTek Authorized Reseller
    Customized LiveSets for HD-series TriCasters

www.virtualsets.com
    [email protected]

(323) 512-1542 voice

port

It may look like an old centronics port, but it is new.

The "User Programable Up Down" port.
    The new technology is very complicated and technically unexplainable.
    and no one knows what it will finally connect to.
    It is the "UPUD"

Coming to a store near you, soon.

Pete
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]

Consultant
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete Draves View Post
    It may look like an old centronics port, but it is new.

The "User Programable Up Down" port.

Methinks you are pulling my leg!
    Sandy Audio Visual LLC
    Twitter @DCTriCaster

Quote Originally Posted by Tim H. View Post
    Fortunately, as time goes on, more and more companies are getting on board with PDF and e-mail!
    I think most people under the age of 40 now are hip to email and attachments.

I find most resistance to technology in people 50 and up. As long as you have these people in the workforce, then things will continue "because that's the way we've always done it" and "if it ain't broke don't fix it" thinking.

So, give it another 10 to 20 years, by then the email generation should have 100% penetration in the market.

I find this entire conversation faxinating.
    Zach Schuster
    SuiteCG- Sports Scoreboard and Stat Tools
    Tricaster 855/460
    Zeplay Instant Replay
    ScoreOCR
    Sony NX5U

Old... Old...

"Methinks you are pulling my leg!"

Now the young people are against the old people.

You talk funny, kinda like an old person.
    When you talk about old connectors look at the Panny P2 chip connection.
    pcmcia connector.
    We oldies have to stick together.

Someday I would like to get out to the DC area to meet CSandy.
    Last time I was there it was across the river in Langly.

Pete
    Pete Draves
    CV Productions
    Oak Creek, WI
    [email protected]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast