Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: quick question on bump mapping and cloth

Medical Animator

quick question on bump mapping and cloth

Hi Guys, I have an object a sphere creating a trench on a flat plane using cloth and i want the trench itself (below the sphere) to have more detailed bump mapping as it drops below the Y axis from the plane.

Does anyone know how to do this with the Node editor?

Medical Animator
    I guess what i'm trying to produce is what taking place in the video link below at 0:24 is this possible in lightwave where one object is eating away at the geometry and others are raising back up geometry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=78RBpWSOl08

I am sure there are a number of more intelligent ways I am not aware of. But just the old school simple approach is to use any variety of displacement maps driven by distance to object. (reference object in the case of a procedural or texture) You can animate the object and move the displacement around. The displacement can be anything from a procedural gradient or image map. Or any combination I suppose.

Having it be progressive would be more tricky but possible.

The other old school option is to create some kind of crawling image sequence that grows progressively.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 04-02-2012 at 08:15 PM.

Medical Animator
    Thanks Surrealist, Yeah i thought of an image sequence but it something i want to avoid, that's why i went the cloth displacing the object route. where i'm running into difficulties is the edge of the path needs to look bumpy (eaten away) cloth it just smoothning it out

I think cloth is the wrong tool for this in LighWave. There is no fall off on the cloth effect. There is fall off weights for some of the parameters, but cloth is on or off. So there is no way I can think of to do what you want. The collision object could be rough. But it does not sound like it would give you the effect you want. I think what you really want is displacement of some kind. It will take more set up but the results would be far better.

Medical Animator
    i find the cloth option gives me some strange random effects alright. I tried to displace downwards using a morph based on the distance to an object but i can't keep it 'displaced' area down after the object has moved forward. Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by glspear View Post
    Hi Guys, I have an object a sphere creating a trench on a flat plane using cloth and i want the trench itself (below the sphere) to have more detailed bump mapping as it drops below the Y axis from the plane.

Does anyone know how to do this with the Node editor?
    Would it not be easiest to just have a second plane set slightly below the other with the desired texture/bump applied to it so when the top plane is deformed enough the bottom plane simply shows through?
    uh wha?

http://youtu.be/nOq0u4a1QEM

Using DP kit (Marker Pen) node to draw the displacement map, and erase portions of it.

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/main_en.htm

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MarkerPenNodes.png 
Views:	274 
Size:	396.9 KB 
ID:	103194  

Now we're talking. That's a great plugin. I'll actually have use for that one.

i find the cloth option gives me some strange random effects alright. I tried to displace downwards using a morph based on the distance to an object but i can't keep it 'displaced' area down after the object has moved forward. Any suggestions?
    I believe this is because Cloth Dynamics is a spring deformer and why it is not the tool for the job. Cloth will always take over any other deformation you have unless the area is fixed. I am actually quite surprised you got it to deform at all. I have never been able to get cloth to deform unless it was in a fixed area. So that is interesting. I'll have to take a look at that. But the reason it won't stay down is because is is a spring. So it just snaps back.

One idea would be to have multiple objects that leave a trail. So one goes so far and stops then another takes over and so on progressively. Completely theoretical of course.
    Last edited by Surrealist.; 04-03-2012 at 06:38 PM.

Medical Animator
    XswampyX that's exactly what i'm looking for. Thanks so much for taking the time to do that nodal setup. I owe you one

Surrealist. sorry the morph was a different method to the cloth. "the cloth method" I just used a collision moving along the plane, "the morph" was using a distance to object.
    Last edited by glspear; 04-03-2012 at 06:50 PM.

It's an interesting problem, very similar to how you can get hair to grow and then cut it back.

Here's the scene file.

Cheers!
    Attached Files Attached Files

Medical Animator
    Hi Xswampyx, do you or anyone know where I can get the Marker Pen node from I downloaded and installed the DPKit but when I open that scene it looks for the Marker Pen plugin. should it have installed with the DPKit?

Hi Xswampyx, do you or anyone know where I can get the Marker Pen node from I downloaded and installed the DPKit but when I open that scene it looks for the Marker Pen plugin. should it have installed with the DPKit?
    It's in the RenderMan Collection

http://dpont.pagesperso-orange.fr/plugins/Textures.htm

XswampyX that's exactly what i'm looking for. Thanks so much for taking the time to do that nodal setup. I owe you one

Surrealist. sorry the morph was a different method to the cloth. "the cloth method" I just used a collision moving along the plane, "the morph" was using a distance to object.
    OK. Right. For that then you'd need a progressive set of objects animated to go so far and then stop, the next one continues and so on.

But the marker pen is far more elegant.

Other than that it would have to be some kind of animated image map. But it looks like the marker pen is the answer.

Medical Animator
    i got that Plugin I didn't scroll down far enough on the page to see the link.

I played around with it last night and yeah I think is the best approach far more control than an image based method. I can even invert the pen node to get a trench

Once again thanks for the replies

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast