Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Various skin and FFX renders (nudity)

Various skin and FFX renders (nudity)

Hi guys.
    I've been trying to get a decent render with FFX and skin nodes.
    I've imported a character from Quidam and got her a pose looking like the one of Nathalie Portmann in a recent Dior Ad.
    Creating hair guides with FFX in modeler was a PITA though, and getting good result directly in Layout was even worse.
    What I finally did was to use a polygonal hair, select loops of vertical polys, merge them, and from here, I used the make strand command in Modeler to get usable guides. I cleaned the fibers, removing horizontal leftovers, cloned the guides three time and reduced/jittered the clones to add variety, and then used these guides with Fiber FX. I should have done that in the first place, as I got instantly much better results.
    This said I don't understand why the line of the body appears under the hair : too few hairs ? too fine fibers ?
    I ran four tests, one with the original texture (render time 14 minutes), one with Fast Skin (56 minutes), one with Simple skin (2h51 render time) and one with Skin (2h28 render time). My favourite is clearly the one with Skin and second the one with Simple Skin.
    Any idea to make the line of the body disappear behind the hair is welcomed !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NP1tn.jpg 
Views:	214 
Size:	12.0 KB 
ID:	103088   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skin_node.jpg 
Views:	266 
Size:	259.4 KB 
ID:	103089   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simpleskin_node.jpg 
Views:	260 
Size:	238.0 KB 
ID:	103090   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fastskin_node.jpg 
Views:	231 
Size:	242.8 KB 
ID:	103091   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	simpletexture.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	242.0 KB 
ID:	103092  

Last edited by CaptainMarlowe; 03-30-2012 at 10:53 AM.

sorry Capatin, but which one is what? which technique did you use in the close-up?
    1. Original
    2. Fast Skin
    3. Simple skin
    4. Skin
    is it correct? If so, then I agree with you. Sorry, I can't help regarding the line behind the hair, I'm sure someone more experienced could give you a tip or two.
    Dell XPS8700 Quad Core i7 [email protected] - 16 GB DDR3 - GeForce GTX 750ti - Windows 10

The hair shading doesn't look right, this looks like what happens when you convert polys to guide chains, it doesn't work right. You will need to convert splines into 2 point hair poly guides.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

Yes, but I wanted to test the make strands tool. It's a pity it doesn't work right.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMarlowe View Post
    Yes, but I wanted to test the make strands tool. It's a pity it doesn't work right.
    I should have been more clear. . . the FFX "Strand MAKER" tool is designed to be used with splines. The splines are converted into polychain guides by the FFX strand maker tool. The strand maker works correctly therefore but wasn't intended to convert polychains into FFX guides, only splines can be converted with that tool to be used with the FFX filter.

The "strands tool" is an IK manipulaton tool that allows you to move the poly chain guides around after you converted them from the splines.

I'm betting that the shading will correct itself if you convert splines using the strand maker on splines instead of poly chains.

You can test to see if it is working if you only have 1 point polys at the roots of the hair guides after you convert to them. That means the guides converted correctly. If you see 1 point polys at EACH point and not just the roots of the guides within modeler, then something went wrong and you will get these rendering errors that I see in your renders.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 04-01-2012 at 10:42 AM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

OK, thanks. I'll try this way and see if I get better results.

Would it work with LWCAD curves ? Or only lw native splines ?
    Last edited by CaptainMarlowe; 04-01-2012 at 10:25 AM.

Tested with lwcad curves converted to lwcurves then used with strand maker. Seems to work fine. Strand tool works with them. Pretty cool.
    Thanks Jason for the tips.

Oh! If you have LW cad then maybe you can still do your original technique and snap the spline points to your poly mesh to use as a guide for the splines.

Zbrush fibermesh works great too if you have that, it exports splines now in 4R3.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 04-01-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Yes that was the idea. Creating curves snapped on the polygonal geometry. I think it will work fine, but I need time to test it. I'll be away next three weeks, but I'll try seriously when I'm back.

Hi guys.
    I've reworked this picture with real strands for the hair as advised by JasonWestmas. The result is much better, but I still have this line of the body appearing in the hair. I had thought it was due to the rear lighting so I withdrew it, but the problem is still here. Any idea ?

Name:	np_ubstudy.jpg 
Views:	151 
Size:	260.1 KB 
ID:	103771  

Can I see the poly chain file?

Yup, I'll post it when I'm at home. But I think I get the point : I believe the problem is related to a bad use of skin shader and not to the hair. I've forced a setting too much (ray cutoff, or something like that).

yeah the hair does look a lot better though so you probably fixed that issue.

Well for the hair, I just used lwcad curves converted to lwcurves then to strands. I checked it was ok by trying to use the strand tool and modify them (pretty useful, BTW).
    Now I'm finishing a new render test, which seems to be better. Result in a few minutes...

Got it, I think. The problem was indeed due to a wrong skin node setting. This render was made without "volumetric only" option, in linear CS mode.
    I'll try a new one with sRGB and volume only.

Name:	pub_study_lowerskinnode.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	211.4 KB 
ID:	103787  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast