Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Speed Modelling Challenge #164 – Blow me!

Quote Originally Posted by akaracquel View Post
    1hr for XY axis only!
    Wow akaracquel-that is some model! You always surprise
    portfolio

The Liver is evil and must be punished!

Blog Entries
    @Iain - your modelling is just totally SICK!

@jeric_synergy - It was too difficult (with too many points!) for me to physically understand the shape with a skinny spline curve. Ended up using Extrude+ A2.1 [plugin] to extrude a disc along the spline curve first. Was hoping to practise using translate plus for manipulating it in the z/3rd axis but it was too hard. Some sections warped because I needed to work in the perspective window to get a feel for which way some loop-de-loops were supposed to go by selecting various combos of loops/edgeloops.

I'll never look at a horn in quite the same way ever again! The experience felt like I was doing 3D gymnastics down an Alice in Wonderland's curiouser-&-curioser rabbit hole, which ended with Guca madness …in a twisted Honkstep kind of way

[awesome links MDSPECIFIC, loved it! ]
    Last edited by akaracquel; 03-28-2012 at 08:09 AM.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    @jeric_synergy - It was too difficult (with too many points!) for me to physically understand the shape with a skinny spline curve. Ended up using Extrude+ A2.1 [plugin] to extrude a disc along the spline curve first.
    "A2.1"??? Thanks for the details of construction.

In my pass at failing this challenge, I wound up using (single) Rail Extrude, and then manipulating the boring parts of the mesh into more interesting shapes. Never got anything useful out of Multiple Rail Extrude (ever).

Also used "POLE EVENLY" -- what a weird tool that is.

Iain: what I really like about your surface is A) the 'lacquer' -like sheen on the mesh, and B) subtle tarnish effect. Did you do anything special to get that reflection/sheen?

I also swiped your idea of the slightly differing diameters of the tube (although not to as realistic effect), which I assume is the real situation as they construct an instrument, and really enhances the reality of the render. Your modeling is inspiring.

And, whoever suggested "aw-Bezier Bridge" (looked but couldn't find who), AWESOME link! Thank you! Incredible FREE tool from Artur Wawrzonkiewicz.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image0159_005CROP.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	458.5 KB 
ID:	103009  
    They only call it 'class warfare' when we fight back.
    Praise to Buddha! #resist
    Chard's Credo-"Documentation is PART of the Interface"
    Film the cops. Always FILM THE COPS. Use this app.

Blog Entries
    hehehe - I like the creative wonk in that honk, looks fun to play! I'm keen to see the wires ^_^

Agree with Bezier Bridge plugin - nice one! JoePoe

Here's linky for Extrude+ - needs two layers on (curve in one, shape in other) - select both polys then kick off plugin

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    hehehe - I like the creative wonk in that honk, looks fun to play! I'm keen to see the wires ^_^
    Note the bulgey thing on top, that's a case of POLE fail. Don't know what was going on with that tool, it's certainly a bear to use.

(Of course, the Tool didn't fail, the tool using the Tool failed.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hornWires.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	587.5 KB 
ID:	103011  

Nice work there, this doesn't look like it should be that tricky, but I didn't find it easy at all.

A bit ambitious with this one, ran out of time, stopped modelling at 1hr so there are some obvious boo boos, but went over anyway with Copy/Paste/Move.

Tried it last night and failed miserably, left it too late tonight hence the appalling render I had to squeeze in in double quick time, though I guess it wouldn't really matter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HornB0001.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	49.6 KB 
ID:	103018Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FH_Wires.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	103019

That bendy vuvuzela reminded me of the instruction manual for proper use of:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vuvuzela instructions.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	155.6 KB 
ID:	103020

Always amused me that one
    Last edited by Oedo 808; 03-28-2012 at 04:04 PM.
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Wow - complex entries there guys!
    Great response this week.

Next one:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....12#post1232512

Have fun
    portfolio

RudySchneider :- Pinwheel - Not really what I had in mind, but I like it. Smooth modelling and sharp render.

MDSpecific :- Resonance - Ahh! this is more like what I had in mind. Great wires, and a mini tutorial too. I see it's on a stand, would you just stand behind it and blow? If so is it 6' in diameter?

Bax33 :- Trombone - Efficient modelling there Bax33, pity you didn't finish it.... would like to have seen a render.

JoePoe :- Trumpet - Smart wires, love the extra tubing between the valves. It only looks unfinished because you said so. I wouldn't have noticed.

Iain - Cornet - Well I'll be blowed... 8-S This looks great, I don't know where else you would put the 'nice little details'. Looks fine to me. Nice render too.

sublimationman - Pushable horn - Nice modelling, and great wire render, looks like some kind of fart powered skate board! :-D

Iain - Old Bugle - Nice render Iain, love the patination of the surface. I don't see any wires, but then you disqualified yourself any way.

akaracquel - Spaghetti horn - Arrrgh! overtime. Pity, that's some pretty intricate tube bending going on there and the balance between the tubing and the horn looks spot on.

jeric_synergy - Wonkhonkhorn - heh heh, This is pretty much what I wanted for the competition. Love it!

Oedo 808 - French horn - Hat's off to you for even attempting this. Looks pretty darn good too. I love to see it finished. Disqualified for over time.... 'twas inevitable. :-)

Well to the sound of all your horns, blasting off in chorus.... barp barp.

The winner is Iain for the tremendous Cornet. Well done Iain, would like to see that one finished too.

Well done all, and It was very satisfying to see every one so free with all the advise and hints about plug-ins and modelling techniques.

Thanks XswampyX, I may consider completing one of these sometime, but I think I'd have to visit the local music shop to get some better reference images. There's a pipe on the right that curls under and ends because I just couldn't figure out where it went.

Congrats to Iain, a worthy winner!
    Sentenced to 310 years for crimes against modelling and rendering.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99
    Quote Originally Posted by Oedo 808 View Post
    Congrats to Iain, a worthy winner!
    Absolutely, both for the modeling and the surfacing. Outstanding.

Well, thank you. I really enjoyed this challenge
    portfolio

First off congrats to Iain - very nice model and surfacing.

To jeric_synergy, sorry I never responded. I used the same method (point extrusion) that Iain said he used. Iain is just much better at it than me because I'm a noob.

[QUOTE=XswampyX;1232598]
    Bax33 :- Trombone - Efficient modelling there Bax33, pity you didn't finish it.... would like to have seen a render.
    QUOTE]

I regards to not finishing, I thought it was a modeling challenge. That said, I can't figure out if I just get busier the older I get or I get slower and therefore can't get as much done. Either way, there is a lot to learn in LW, both in modeling and rendering, which require a lot of time. As always I am humbled by all the entries.

Axes grinder- Dongle #99

Inconsistancy in ROVE Tool (yalwi)

I think if one is matching an existing object, or matching a photo, Extend and Move is a perfect, if tedious way to approach this task.
    If ROVE worked a little better, it'd be the perfect tool for this. Alas, IMO the rotation part of ROVE is backwards-- items don't move the same way as the user drags the handle.

That is, in all vuports. I just checked, and in the BACK vuport Rove worked 'correctly', but was backwards in the Top and Right views.

I really REALLY wish this would be fixed-- the inconsistancy makes Rove hard to use--SOMEtimes you pull the rotation handle one way, SOMETIMES the other. The INCONSISTANCY is what ruins the tool.

yalwi=Yet Another LightWave Inconsistency.

Congrats Iain!
    Very nice and clean modeling and texturing is great!

@XswampyX: It could be one small pocket trumpet, but very powerful. Don't you get it, resonance, if you know how to make right frequency.

Blog Entries
    @jeric_synergy - I remember experiencing inconsistency of mouse-direction to manipulate shift/inset a few months ago with the multishift tool, which put me off from using it at first. With time, i realised the inconsistency in mouse movement was caused by the direction the normal was facing (the mouse movements for shift/inset going in reverse if flipped inward instead of outward). Made me wonder if this initial perception of inconsistency could possibly happen with other tools. Haven't used ROVE yet (don't know what it is) - curious to know if the direction the normals are pointing might have impact, or if it's something else entirely?

Congrats Iain
    Last edited by akaracquel; 04-01-2012 at 08:40 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast