Thread: SpeedEDIT SLOWWWWWWW CG

SpeedEDIT SLOWWWWWWW CG

Hi Folks.

I have a DellPrecision, dual core machine with 24 gig of ram. While using SpeedEdit 2, I find the CG is frustratingly long to program and render. This is on an HD timeline and a subproject has been made, so I expect a little lag but it is not living up to the SpeedEdit name.
    Is there a memory management thing I am missing? Any tricks to speed it up?
    Thanks a bunch in advance!

Slowpoke editor Mike

I should also mention that the project resides on an external LaCie 1 tb drive.

CG isn't the greatest plugin in the world.

CG is a pretty eccentric little feature of SE, it often does silly things, but being aggravatingly slow tells me to get you to try one thing...

There is a checkbox called 'show all layers at the top (rightish) of the CG window. This will realy slow things down if you have buckets of layers or if you have a substantial blur effect applied on the background image. Turn this off and see if ti goes any faster.

Failing that, any time I have used CG and it's like swimming through honey, I've re-booted and it it usually better.

Thanks Mutley. Only 5 or 6 layers but I will give it a try. It only happens in an HD project. It is much quicker in SD.

Happy editing!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
    I should also mention that the project resides on an external LaCie 1 tb drive.
    If you are using USB 2.0 as your connection inbterface to the drive, then that is a huge bottleneck. You would need to use esata or USB 3.0. If you are already using one of those, then it is the HD compression that is killing you. Go with an i7 to get things moving.

Thanks

I think I'll upgrade my processor and investigate thunderbolt for my drive array.

I am doing a 6.5 minute slideshow and the two blurs I have are grinding my I7 powerhouse to its knees. I am talking the entire sytem freezing for a minute or more just from a two second blur. I even switched it all to Solid State drives (2 together to form a Raid 0). I have no ideas what to do. I wish SE was 64 bit.

Blurs are a tax on ANY cpu in ANY software. Imagine, the process has to average every single pixel with a radius of pixels around it. A slight blur means every pixel has to be blurred with 2 or 3 pixels on all sides. A big blur means every pixel must be spread with 20 or 30 pixels on all sides. This ends up eating your CPU like a large school of piranhas. And then it has to do it to every frame. So for a 30 pixel blue, in 4 directions (N, S, E & W) for every pixel in an HD frame, means a process including 1,679,616,000,000 individual calculations per frame to blur it. And each one of those calculations is an averaging calculation, so go figure...

Have patience, my friend. And have mercy... reduce your blur!

You can get a much faster computer system, or you can render out the complex sections, into a new clip and place it where you need it.

Ditto to what Don said. Whenever you have multiple layer effects (or any effect that slows down the timeline), its always a good idea to render that out as a separate clip and bring it back in. Just makes for quicker work flow.
    Last edited by lcress; 04-23-2013 at 10:01 AM.

I do that occassionally but then I am locked into using the rendered file. I would have to keep the original stuff on the timeline and manipulate it to make any slight changes. Thats a PITA and it happens all the time because I constantly make changes. Thanks for the suggestion though.