Thread: SpeedEdit Render Crash

SpeedEdit Render Crash

Hello. While trying to render to an AVI from SpeedEdit 1.5, the program crashes unexpectantly. The crash occurs at a different point each time. Sometimes a few minutes in, sometimes towards the end and yet other times right when I click on the render command.

I'm getting a bit frustrated since this is the only method I've found to get the projects into Tmpgenc Authoring Works 5 for authoring the DVD. I've also tried saving the SE project as an AVI rather than Render, but no go. Further, I tried saving the AVI, processed it with TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress and then pushed it to Adobe Encore for authoring. Unfortunately the quality was pretty bad.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I have discovered a few things about rendering in SE2 which should be known by all users. I imagine that most people probably render their projects with the project open. You select the stuff you want to render, and right click to the ‘render selected’ option and set the render panel & away it goes, and that’s totally fine. But here are some details about that… If your project is in any way heavy on processor & memory demands, close the project as soon as you start rendering it (by opening up a new empty project), You will right away notice that your rendering speed will suddenly speed up tremendously.

Also, if you are experiencing partial rendering & then crashing, try rendering with the project closed. I rendered a file unsuccessfully 6 times, because it crashed part way in each time. Then I rendered with the project closed. No problem, and faster too.

This is also useful if you are trying to render to a file format that crashes as soon as you select it. Try closing the project as soon as you open the render panel, then selecting the file format, and it probably won’t crash anymore.

You can also select what to render, click render, and when the render window opens, you go back to the timeline, select all, delete. Then click render. When rendering is done, click undo and it all comes back. This will give you faster renders (like more than twice as fast) and stop most crashes.

__________________________________________________ ___
    The time to stop trying is when you've achieved what you wanted.
    - Mutley Eugenius.

You are a life saver! Worked perfectly. Thank you!

Hey, that's what Forums are for...!

I have a project I have been working on. It is only 4 minutes long but has several layers of graphics and text. It crashes each time I try to render even using the techniques above. I am running SpeedEdit on the Tricaster 450 and have the latest Tricaster build (ver 4e). Any ideas on why this is happening? I have never had this issue before with rendering. Incidentally, the way I render is to click File > Render. I do not highlight all the entire project and then right click. Is there a difference?

Yes.

Highlighting & rendering enables you to render bits at a time.

Does it always crash at the same place? - You may have a bad file.

Also, SpeedEDIT is not too fond of TGA files. If you have those in the project, try converting them and replacing them with JPGs or BMPs

Try rendering it in sections & reassembling them.

Try moving all the soundfiles later on the timeline and rendering without sound, then rendering sound only, then reassembling them later (I have never done this but I just had the idea. No idea if it helps at all or not)

Food for thought. A year ago I purchased a Dell XPS9000, Windows 7, and have set it up with 24gigs of RAM (the max is takes for now) and three Buffalo 1TB USB3 external hard drives for video and my system is very steady now when using SE2.0. I know NT specs show what the minimum requirements are far less, but sticking with minimum seems to make the system crash too much. I'm actually able to edit and then render several projects at once. I'm talking projects that are in excess of 90 min at times. I simply start the rendering of the projects at night and when I wake up the next day most if not all of them are done in the morning without any problems. I won't lie and indicate SE never crashes on me. But to be honest I can't remember the last time it did. The extra RAM and using the USB3 hard drives has made a major improvement for me. Now, if we can just get NT to update to SE3 with more features or bug fixes. I know about SE2.5, but went back to SE2.0 since it was much more stable and for some reason there seemed to be too many "other" type bugs in SE2.5 that weren't in SE2.0

Using NewTek since Toaster 1 and Flyer since 0.9 Amiga Days !!!
    Last edited by VisionTecVideo; 07-14-2012 at 07:21 PM.
    www.VisionTecVideo.com

Hmmm - tempted to buy more RAM now.