Thread: Seams along a surface and bones

Seams along a surface and bones

I'm trying to deform correctly a character with a kind of seams all over its body, but when I bend an arm, or leg I canīt keep that seams correctly. I attach an image about that.

I defined the weightmap and tried all the options in bone properties but no luck... any help?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	quiz.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	474.7 KB 
ID:	102757  

TrueArt Support
    These seams are in the same layer, it's same object?

Yes, it is. Same object same layer

Technically it "should" work if they have the save weighting. But you can also use meta link instead.

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/movi...alinkMorph.mov
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=77002

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Using LWs standard weighting... this wont work, as the verts of the seam parts are a different distance from the bone than the the verts of the leg parts, and LWs standard weighting uses a falloff behaviour based on distance.

Altering falloff for the bones will give u different results, but to get it correct you will need to use explicit weights, or, as Castius said, link in somehow to make the seams follow the leg mesh.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

Just because they are different objects should have no affect. If your weights match i see no reason this would not deform the same. Now if your painting weight maps this will not a fun job. Something i would try to avoid.

All you are right. I was trying to get a nice result using just a weight for the whole leg because it is very short but I noticed that using two weights (thigh/calf) I get a better result. So because I'm a newbie at rigging I see that is not a mesh size topic but a number of bones topic

What does your base mesh look like? If it is a very low rez subpatch object you may have to set its subdivision order to First to to keep your stitches attached to the shape.

Lertola, you hit the nail on the head. Thank you. This way I donīt need extra weights.

But now the question is: is it preferable to get more rez and use last for animating or keep with low rez and use first anyway? Might it behave oddly if I keep first? Or it makes no difference?

Good thinking lertola2
    You can keep it low and use last. The important part is to just make sure you have geometry that closely matches the mesh near the stitches. So the points of the geometry move together.