Thread: Rev 4b stops recording!

Registered User Red Dog Records's Avatar

Rev 4b stops recording!

We updated to 4b and did one of our regular gigs with our XD300.

We run 3 SD inputs and 2 iVGA inputs. The project is 480i.

Everything was running fine until I noticed we weren't recording! I was sure I started the recording, but the RECORD button was no longer lit up. There were no errors so I just restarted the recording and went from there.

Everything recorded fine the rest of the 6 hour meeting.

The second day of the meeting, I watched closely and saw that I got an error (it only showed very briefly - something about resolution change error) and the recording stopped. I immediately restarted it and it was fine the rest of the day.

It seemed we got the error when we switched from one of our laptops to the other. Yes, the laptops are set at different resolutions, but we have done this before, just not with rev 4b.

Has anyone else experienced this?
    I will try to recreate the error at our studio and get a better look at the error code.

Andrew

This is a known issue that I thought was addressed in 4b. Andrew Cross spoke to it in another thread. I'll link when I find it.
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

Discussed here, I believe. I wonder if they addressed the issue on the physical inputs but missed it on the net inputs? I am speculating wildly.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=124488&page=2
    E. Lee Dickinson | President
    Advanced Visual Production | sound.lighting.video.design
    www.avprva.com

Tricaster 850, 460AE, and TC-1
    JVC GY-HM200u, Canon XLH1, Fieldcast and BMD Fiber

I am actually having a different issue.
    We are using only one audio source and it is selected as mono.

I just did another event using 3 SD cameras (composite) and one net input (same as we have done flawlessly over the last 11 months) and the recorder stopped on us one each day of our meeting.
    I can;t even pinpoit a specific switch we did to cause it. We are recording directly to 2 DVDs as our backups and we were on one shot when it happened. Very odd. Oh, and about 350GB free on the internal HDD.

I never saw an error message, not even a brief one. Is there some log file where I could look up the error my unit is experiencing so I can put together an intelligent support request?

Oh, and our project is 480i, so it isn't taxing the xd300 very much.

Thanks,

Andrew

We just came off a 480i show and experienced this issue.

The tricaster xd300 was set to record. Approximately 30-50 mins into show the record would stop. This occurred multiple times.

Work Around:

We setup a 720p Session. Set all cameras to 720p. We then set the record to the AUX. This provided a 480i record.

We did not experience this issue after implementing the work around. Your results may vary.

NEWTEK: Please issue a service bulletin on this issue. Having a known issue in recording is a severe limitation of performance.

Joe
    Last edited by pdxJoe; 03-30-2012 at 04:22 PM.
    Blaze Streaming Media
    www.blazestreaming.com

I'm not aware of any known recording issue involving 300, but if you have a problem occurring reliably that CS can't help with, it would be good for you to report it to Fogbugz: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=110229
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

UPDATE:

We found something very interesting upon further testing.
    We tried to determine what we were doing at the exact time of the failure. We record a back-up directly to DVD so I compared the XD300 recording with the DVD and noticed that we had done NOTHING!
    No switching, graphic change, etc - nothing!

So upon further testing we discovered the error would occur as we would preview different virtual sets. We have 5 presets loaded into V1-V5. We use these presets for PIP during powerpoint or when 2 people are speaking to each other. I noticed my recording would fail while I was going through my V1-V5 in preview.

I have report this to CS and am waiting on their reply.

BTW - My recording would only fail once. Then I could switch between my presets as much as I like without the recording stopping.

Andrew

Having the same MP2 record stop at almost every session, for over a month now. v.4b, 480i session, flash stream, 5 component cams, analog audio in.

Set up new profile sessions, still stops randomly 10 miins in, 33 mins in, but it appears to stop on a random preview select, no Virtuals.

If there is a solution, I need the fix, Otherwise I will continue to use a BM H.264 recorder to archive.

Danny

Live to a Fox affiliate, Raleigh.

My suggestion would be to try 4e. This might be more relevant to a small group than for others, but 4e shouldn't hurt anything and may be the magic bullet for a few cases.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Quote Originally Posted by SBowie View Post
    My suggestion would be to try 4e. This might be more relevant to a small group than for others, but 4e shouldn't hurt anything and may be the magic bullet for a few cases.
    I didn't noticie a problem, as I always did HD projects, but today I had to use a SD output of Tricaster 300 And I lost the video signal several times (only in the SD, HD out has no problem). Maybe this could be problem with recording stopping. I will continue investigating the problem...
    Tricaster 300 with version 4e.

Maybe a shaky sync on one of the SD cams?
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator