Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do I Render an image for off 90 deg viewing

How do I Render an image for off 90 deg viewing

I want to render an image so correct viewing you would NOT be directly in front of the image, you would need to stand to one side and view from say 45 deg not the typical 90 degrees. So, a picture hanging in a hallway would look in correct perspective before I am standing in front of it. I imagine this would be some Camera setting to change the image plane so it is not parallel to the scene, but it has been a couple years since I have used LW. Can I have different vanishing points in different parts of an image in one render?

I now have LW 11, any help you can give me on this would be great!

Thanks!
    MacGregg
    "Belief" is irrelevant... it is not a measure of Truth!
    Boxx 8400SE: Windows 7 x64 Dual Intel CPU5482 [8 Cores, 3200 MHz] 16.0 GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB

How about something really simple, rotate your monitor 45 degrees and move the camera till it looks right. (shrug)

nevermind I understan the problem now... I can think of one way to do it, but it would involve doing it in post, render it at a high enough resolution so you can deform it in post, by stretching one side of the image (like the perspective tool in photoshop) I guess you could make a custom lens for it in Lightwave, but this would be easier, but it does involve more render time.

even easier, rotate your head 45 degrees in other direction and move the camera till it looks right :-)

you can use a mesh as your camera. look for the different camera types in the manual.
    my website: www.andymeyer.ch
    Supermicro 7047A-T/X9DAi: dual E5-2687 8C/16T @3.1ghz | 64GB Ram | nVidia GTX680-4gb (301.42) | Win7 64 Bit (SP1) |
    display 30"+30"+22" | 13 rendernodes, 54 cores

What about using a large plane that is 100% reflective and black. Set it up where you would have put the camera then point the camera at the plane at a 45d angle. Although the image would be mirrored.

I'm not exactly sure what you're after, but I'm pretty sure the Advanced Camera would be the place to look. You just can't use the camera view VPR or OpenGL to see what the custom lens will show you.
    [mr] Dana W. Burman | http://dwburman.com
    Motion Graphics for sale at Pond5 Stock Footage
    Check out my tutorials at Liberty3d.com & my YouTube channel!

Is this something you do in camera? Or is this something better done in post?

I keep thinking of the text painted on the street. Looks right from your car as you drive up to it but from above it is stretched wildly.

That is exactly what I am talking about Dex! I believe this is a Camera setting to change the angle of the image plane, or film plane, so it is not parallel to the camera lens plane. So it stretches the perspective.
    "Belief" is irrelevant... it is not a measure of Truth!
    Boxx 8400SE: Windows 7 x64 Dual Intel CPU5482 [8 Cores, 3200 MHz] 16.0 GB RAM Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    If you're just trying to remove all perspective then use the orthographic camera or the shift camera (which mimics a tilt-shift lens)

Quote Originally Posted by MacGregg View Post
    I believe this is a Camera setting to change the angle of the image plane.....
    Look at your signature..

There isn't a setting to change the angle per se, in the advanced camera there are options to use a mesh to deform the lens, I haven't played much with it that is why I can't recommend it, but doing it in post does work.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGregg View Post
    That is exactly what I am talking about Dex! I believe this is a Camera setting to change the angle of the image plane, or film plane, so it is not parallel to the camera lens plane. So it stretches the perspective.
    Just stretch it in post. Or if you want to be 100% sure it's right: render your image normally, but it on a plane back in lw or a comp program rotate it and render it again.

Just render an image & then use that image in a projection camera.

There is an example here with scene post #8 "Tin.zip"
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=125522
    Last edited by JonW; 03-09-2012 at 05:02 AM.
    Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

W5580 x 2 24GB, Mac Mini, Spyder3Elite, Dulux 30gg 83/006 72/008 grey room,
    XeroxC2255, UPS EvolutionS 3kw+2xEXB

dynamics...so much fun ;) prospector's Avatar
    Here is what I think is the end result being looked for..
    The old baseball or football cards that had a pic from looking at it in 1 direction and another when looked from another direction...tho MacGregg was only looking for the 1 direction.

These were done by slicing a photo into strips and glueing them at a 45 off center of each strip.
    Then the other pic was done same way but from opposite side.

It could be done the same way in 3D by UV'ing the strips and applying pic to all the strips and also for the opposite side, so as a charector walks by it changes same way the old cards did.

How you would make that for YOU to see as you go by monitor is not doable that I can think of.
    Skype...lost_in_3d_space

Sager
    I7-4800 OC'd to 3.3 GHz
    12G 1600mhz mem
    GTX 765M , 765 cores 1.5 Gig mem
    256 gigs raided SSD drive

You would still need a lenticular for viewing.

i had to read it twice to (hopefully) understand your question...

how about this setup?

chris
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cam-45degrees.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	948.1 KB 
ID:	102461  
    1x i7 3960K ¦ 32GB ¦ 3x 580GTX
    1x dual W5580 ¦ 24GB ¦ 580GTX
    1x QX6850 ¦ 8GB ¦ 2x 8800GTX
    3x i7 2600K ¦ 16GB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast