Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New lower cost volumedic - 299 usd

Here's a fountain of particles with a turbulance node mixing onto them. I have to say, it's a bit sensitive (crash prone) using it in this manner though.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

And here's the particles in VM's volume mode. The animation above was in solid mode. The harsh line is where they meet the edge of the bounding box.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	temp.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	24.7 KB 
ID:	105105  
    Push the software, don't let it push YOU!
    My own plugins and work:www.mikegreen.name
    LaptopSetup:corei7 2.4GHz nvidia GT 650M 8Gig win8 64
    WorkSetup:core i7 3.4Ghz nvidia Quadro 2000 12Gig Ram Win7

Quote Originally Posted by Dodgy View Post
    And here's the particles in VM's volume mode. The animation above was in solid mode. The harsh line is where they meet the edge of the bounding box.

Maybe volumedic could be developed with a tension blending mode, wich has been absent from lightwave for ages, and Newtek doesnīt seem to pay attention to that unfortunatly wich makes me kind of sad, some crappy blending mode that doesnīt give any good results were introduced in 11, but halfe ar..
    The old Dynamite plugin had it correctly done thou.

Can you put a noise or fractal on to that to se how it looks Dodgy?

Michael

We actually were working on directly supporting particles in VoluMedic CE in a new and interesting fashion too, but with sales as they are, we had to put it on hold.
    Yes, my Avatar shows a volume rendering...
    VoluMedic Creative Edition only USD 299 !
    www.volumedic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Elmar Moelzer View Post
    We actually were working on directly supporting particles in VoluMedic CE in a new and interesting fashion too, but with sales as they are, we had to put it on hold.
    Ah..thatīs a petty, But can understand that, unfortunatly putting it on hold wont gain any increasement in sales, support for it might, but as mentioned..I can understand that decision.

Michael

Never mind.
    Last edited by Rayek; 06-16-2012 at 01:13 AM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    I found this open source alternative - pity it's cuda only. The results look quite similar.

http://graphics.tudelft.nl/ExposureRender
    You just killed possible sales of volumedic ce and possibly volumedic full with this free alternative.

Never mind.
    Last edited by Rayek; 06-16-2012 at 01:13 AM.
    Win10 64 - i7 [email protected], p6t Deluxe v1, 48gb, Nvidia GTX 1080 8GB, Revodrive X2 240gb, e-mu 1820. Screens: 2 x Samsung s27a850ds 2560x1440, HP 1920x1200 in portrait mode

Quote Originally Posted by Rayek View Post
    ...what on earth? I was just looking for volumetric rendering of medical data sets on the net, and this came up. I thought it was interesting as an application. Please do not kill the messenger here. :-)
    Not killing the messenger.
    Just that another developer is also saying free is killing development in hc forums. By pointing to an open source alternative in a commercial products thread, users who potentially would have bought volumedics ce for hobby,work,etc will probably think twice. I know I have.

I was wondering: can Volumedic convert the object to true geometry, with applied materials automatically?

*edit* Ah, yes, you can. Just checked the site.
    Last edited by Rayek; 06-16-2012 at 01:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    Not killing the messenger.
    Just that another developer is also saying free is killing development in hc forums. By pointing to an open source alternative in a commercial products thread, users who potentially would have bought volumedics ce for hobby,work,etc will probably think twice. I know I have.
    Are you serious? This is a NewTek, not VoluMedic, forum. The reason I visit forums is precisely to be educated by stuff like this. If there's a RealFlow announcement, are you saying nobody should mention Blender?

If people buy commercial software over free stuff, it should be because commercial is better, not because they didn't know the free versions existed. In this case, I'm sure VoluMedic has benefits worth the price, and Elmar will probably point them out soon for a discussion. For one, it runs in LW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sekhar View Post
    This is a NewTek, not VoluMedic, forum.
    True, and I don't want to overstate what follows, as I think those involved have taken this into consideration now (and I'm quite sure no-one meant to offer even the slightest offense, even inadvertently), but keeping your point in mind, please consider the following excerpt from the forum moderation policy:

Treat third party announcement posts as respected guests here.

Most, I think, would feel that posting to draw attention to a competitor (free or not) in a thread that constitutes a public announcement by a third party developer to be at least mildly in contravention of the spirit of that item. Someone may well wish to remark on the strengths or attributes on one versus the other package, but it would be better to honor the original poster of this announcement, starting another thread for that discussion. That would leave this one free to discuss matters having to do with the promotion.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Heffalump
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmar Moelzer View Post
    Hmm. Well if I my opinion counts :

- there's no Mac version (I know why, but it still limits any opportunity to support you)
    - the long introduction video is fine, but the CE page is a block of text and leaves me scratching my head. Some use cases wouldn't be bad (illustrate how and why the user might want to use the mapping feature), and some clear figures would help - you rely on text and lists at the moment.

For example, I read about the complex object type and the text declares that it provides more texture and animation than the standard object. However, from the list comparison, it seems to be limited in render performance and there's an awful lot of red in the comparison. It's therefore unclear to me what real advantages there are.

- The CE version is being aimed at artists, but you're using the same marketing approach that you use for your primary clientele - medical folk. The consequence is a rather dry presentation that leaves the potential customer pretty cold. I wonder if you might generate more interest by having a more focussed set of material to show artists how they can save time / accomplish more. Clearly showing what is lost between the versions, rather than listing 'Some limitations' in the comparison would also be good.

- I'm still not clear what the different render modes actually mean. There is no example to show the differences.

- The Volumedic page has some (tiny!) thumbnails. These are missing from the CE page. Perhaps you need some links to allow the user to jump to relevant areas of the site, or perhaps simply consider a different approach to showing which version has which features.
    Inactive.

double post
    Last edited by Elmar Moelzer; 06-17-2012 at 06:36 AM.
    www.volumedic.com

You just killed possible sales of volumedic ce and possibly volumedic full with this free alternative.
    I have seen this one before. I was not all to scared by it.
    This thing is a viewer for some custom converted imaging data. VoluMedic is a volume rendering application that does A LOT more than just viewing some DICOM files. We have a whole bunch of importers (not just for medical imaging data), we have ways to modify data, we can convert volume data to geometry and vice versa. With the complex object type we can combine datasets
    But I will happily invite anyone to try getting any of these free viewers to work (there are several out there) and getting good results from them. Not easy...
    IIRC, I could not even get the app to run on any of my machines.

- there's no Mac version (I know why, but it still limits any opportunity to support you)
    Mac versions cost a lot of money to develop. Macs are expensive and porting a complex application like VoluMedic is also expensive. We would love to make one, but we currently dont have the means to do it.

For example, I read about the complex object type and the text declares that it provides more texture and animation than the standard object. However, from the list comparison, it seems to be limited in render performance and there's an awful lot of red in the comparison. It's therefore unclear to me what real advantages there are.
    It gives artists more options, in return for more complexity and somewhat slower rendering. It is a tradeoff.

The website is not ideal, I know. The maker of the website has been hard to convince to make improvements. I will take care of that as soon as I have some time.

In the meantime, have you had a look at our youtube channel? There are several tutorial videos that hopefully illustrate the difference in usability between the two object types pretty well.
    I think the confusion comes from the fact that both versions offer both object types. The standard object is however limited to some essential functions in the CE version. It was necessary to include the standard object type in order to keep the volume painting in it (which for technical reasons cant work in the complex object type).
    www.volumedic.com

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast