Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CAD loader (stp.iges,rhino...) for LW 11

Part of the cost may be the fact it can load in parasolids - based on the kernel of SW and a few other CAD packages. They may have to license that.

One thing to remember is that Luxology are providing the rendering engine for SW going forwards, so there may be a bit of back room dealing going to get a tightly integrated plugin.

As for this in LW? I've been importing data from CAD packages into LW for over 10 years and seriously doubt they will do this. A CAD importer is going to cause a major headache and distract from other areas that need attention sooner.

Yes, they have to licence from SIEMENS to have all of that which obviously effects the cost of these plugins. I would think if you really did enough CAD work in LW or modo these would probably be a no-brainer. They talk about this and the CAD loader in the latest modcast a bit if you're interested: http://www.luxology.com/modcast/audio.aspx?id=186

It seems that they have a trail version available but it's not listed on the site. You can contact Lux sales for info on it if you're interested.
    Last edited by JeffrySG; 03-06-2012 at 09:07 PM.

Sinner Saved by Grace Larry_g1s's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Usually it takes days just to clean geometry for rendering it so this should help tremendously on such projects.
    Absolutely. It's def. expensive for a plug-in, but if it works as good as the video shows, it can def. pay itself off with less cleaning up of files.
    Larry Vasquez | Genesis One Studios | company showreel

Someday, I will be a CG animator (student at iAnimate.net).

i emailed lux and asked for a trial 601+cad loader, no answer until now.
    cad loader, rounded egde shader, boolean, uv tools and paint/sculpt could be a killer app for my work.
    my website: www.andymeyer.ch
    Supermicro 7047A-T/X9DAi: dual E5-2687 8C/16T @3.1ghz | 64GB Ram | nVidia GTX680-4gb (301.42) | Win7 64 Bit (SP1) |
    display 30"+30"+22" | 13 rendernodes, 54 cores

Don't we have a rounded edge shader from dp for Lightwave?

I always feel that those shaders don't work very well in all instances. Nice to have though.

Hmm well DP Edge doesn't blend between separate objects but it works. It would be even better if one could just select the edges he wants and not worry about angle threashold.

Som inputs that would be nice to have in an Edge Shader:

-1- Edge Selection. Simple
    -2- Vertex Normal Map sharp edges. This is nice, cause then one can blend between maps. And a plus is that VNM are kept after subdivision But it would require LW the ability to edit these maps.
    -3- Catmull-Clark 100% Weighted Edges. These are quite sharp and appreciate the softening at angles >0º.
    -4- Boolean Shader intersection edges!!! Double Shortcut

I wonder if Modo does the latter.
    Last edited by probiner; 03-09-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Trying to find the best way to import SolidWorks models from a client.

After reading this and numerous other threads about it I have a few questions.

First, what does it take to transfer a model from MODO to LightWave, and will that create any problems with the model that need fixing.

Using Rhino apparently has a problem with Vertex Normal maps so that you can't rotate or edit the models in modeler (a problem since apparently any method outside of MODO produces issues with the mesh that have to be fixed.) If so, then why don't PolyTrans, Deep Exploration, and MOI have this problem since they also produce Vertex Normal maps?

If I plan to do my own texture and surfacing of the models do VN maps really serve a purpose? As I understand it they are used to apply smoothing and texture, am I right?

There are two free methods to get SolidWorks models to LightWave.
    1)Using STL files, and a free LightWave plugin which I have.
    2)A free SolidWorks plugin to export the models as wavefront OBJ files.

What are the advantages of using Rhino PolyTrans, Deep Exploration, and MOI of these free routs?

stl files doesn´t come with different surfaces, I use deep exploration and do all naming and reduction of surfaces from solidworks files, so easy to set surfaces from deep exploration.

I export out to object formats, but the same goes there, you can not tweak the vertexes in the model inside of lightwave modeler, it will screw it up.

Once in lightwave I render with perspective camera, that will ensure to render most properly if set up correctly.

Michael

The CAD Loader is very robust and I am getting very nice clean geometry out of it. I have been using the SHM STL importer for a number of years, but the CAD Loader gives much better results. The CAD Loader takes a little more work than a simple STL import, but it sure beats remodeling complete sections of a model because of poor tesselation.

We are also using the Power SubD-NURBS plug-in. IMO it is probably the biggest advancement in 3D software technology since real-time rendering. And it has the potentional to significately change the way products get designed. We are already using it to save days off of our prototype process.

Quote Originally Posted by Snosrap View Post
    The CAD Loader takes a little more work than a simple STL import, but it sure beats remodeling complete sections of a model because of poor tesselation.
    What does it take to get the model from MODO to LightWave?

We are also using the Power SubD-NURBS plug-in. IMO it is probably the biggest advancement in 3D software technology since real-time rendering. And it has the potentional to significately change the way products get designed. We are already using it to save days off of our prototype process.
    Is the Power SubD-NURBS plug-in a LightWave or MODO plugin?

Quote Originally Posted by Shnoze Shmon View Post
    Is the Power SubD-NURBS plug-in a LightWave or MODO plugin?
    modo ofcourse.
    RAM-Studio
    WS - Dual Xeon E5-2698v4/128GB/Win10x64/4xRTX 2080Ti
    My LWM Video Car Modeling Tutorial

I don't think the inability to edit/move meshes with vertex normal maps in modeller has anything to do with the software that generated the OBJ file.

I just make sure things are in the correct orientation in Rhino before exporting as an obj. I have added morphs to objects in modeller and TrueObjImport seems to still render them correctly.

If you are importing from SW into Rhino (for tesselation) via IGES each part should come in on a seperate layer, which means you can set up a custom button to select all objects on each layer and join them prior to export.

Quote Originally Posted by Shnoze Shmon View Post
    What does it take to get the model from MODO to LightWave?
    Just save it as an .LWO. modo and LW play very nice with each other.

Just save it as an .LWO. modo and LW play very nice with each other.
    This is good news. Evaluating that other app now -- it seems to be what LW Modeler "should" have become. (Please don't slap my fingers, Steve.)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast