Thread: Baking Instances?

Baking Instances?

Is there a way to bake Instances out as an object? I ultimately want to use what I have Instanced with Bullet. I've been searching and haven't dug up much.

I'd also like to know

After a bit of searching, there's a bake instances Python script you can use in (I'm on a Mac):

/Applications/NewTek/LightWave3D11.0/support/plugins/scripts/Python/Layout/Generic

That's great!

Now, how to bake tan animation of instances?

Newbie Member
    There seems to be an error in handling.

If I use local instance coordinates I get confuse output objects (wrong positions/rotation). But if I use World coordinates I get right coordinates output with wrong visualization in Instances.

So I use local coordinates and for using the Pythonscript I change the instance panel to world-coordinates, that scrambles my objects in viewport.

Then I choose the instanced object, go to utilities, python. Run the script. Now all instances are in right position in lightwave. I delete the instancer and use the baked objects. It's a little wired.

With the above method I created a big baked scene with 2000 domino-pieces and 3000 frames. I added bullet kinematics to the pieces. But it slows down calculating the domino-behaviour and all changes to the szene start the calculation from beginning. Need a faster workflow.

Originally posted by marcus staffel
    term paper writer training
    There seems to be an error in handling.

If I use local instance coordinates I get confuse output objects (wrong positions/rotation). But if I use World coordinates I get right coordinates output with wrong visualization in Instances.

So I use local coordinates and for using the Pythonscript I change the instance panel to world-coordinates, that scrambles my objects in viewport.

Then I choose the instanced object, go to utilities, python. Run the script. Now all instances are in right position in lightwave. I delete the instancer and use the baked objects. It's a little wired.

With the above method I created a big baked scene with 2000 domino-pieces and 3000 frames. I added bullet kinematics to the pieces. But it slows down calculating the domino-behaviour and all changes to the szene start the calculation from beginning. Need a faster workflow.
    Any experience with the Bake Instancer Tool? I suppose it's a Maya 3D tool, but perhaps it could be used with LW too? And if possible, could you please share the example of what you're working on?

Edit: Just noticed Marcus hasn't been here since 2017... Perhaps someone has already some experience using the tool.
    Last edited by TerryLewis; 06-19-2019 at 03:11 AM. Reason: edit

I know OD Tools by Oliver Hotz can Bake Instances and also convert them to file instances. It's not very expensive (considering you get over 500 plugins for the price of one...) https://origamidigital.com/cart/inde...&product_id=57

A couple of the (many, many) tools:
    https://is.gd/qzdvQP
    https://is.gd/1ytbVy

All the best,

B
    Last edited by BeeVee; 06-19-2019 at 08:09 AM.
    Ben Vost - NewTek LightWave 3D development
    LightWave 3D Trial Edition
    AMD Threadripper 1950X, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, 32GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (4GB and 768 CUDA cores) and GTX 1080 (8GB and 2560 CUDA cores) driver version 430.86
    AMD FX8350 4.2 GHz, Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium 64-bit, 16GB RAM, nVidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti (416.34, 4GB and 768 CUDA cores)
    Dell Server, Windows 10 Pro, Intel Xeon E3-1220 @3.10 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Quadro K620
    Laptop with Intel i7, nVidia Quadro 2000Mw/ 2GB (377.83 and 192 CUDA cores), Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 8GB RAM
    Mac Mini 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB RAM, 10.10.3

For what itīs worth (not animated)
    using the python script as mentioned, use it on the same object you instance, not the instancer itself, once done..you can save out to fbx format, reload in modeler as a single layer and the mesh will be one object only as opposed to in layout where it is split in to layers.

This is useful if you for instance want to create a (cloud formation) what else
    where you can adjust the instances to have larger shapes at the bottom and smaller at the hight of an instanced array or on to particles or points, will be trying more of this workflow for cloud formations and then sending to Houdini for VDB creation and noise creation, then send back to lightwave for rendering.

There's a definitely a few ways you can do it with ODtools. The OD Instance baker will just bake down instances to objects (including the animation of instances), and there's also an OD Instance to points, which will bake the instances into a point object with rotation/scale/assignment encoded in vmaps... this is helpful when you want to bake a complex and slow instance setup into a fast version. Then, there's file instances, which allow you to work the fastest, and easily interface with other apps in terms of getting instances in and out. Thanks Ben for the plug.
    Oliver

OD Tools Purchase Link: http://origamidigital.com/cart
    Vimeo Channel: https://vimeo.com/channels/850417
    Join ODRoot - https://www.odroot.com