Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41

Thread: Houdini 12 goes gold...

  1. #16
    Top Dog
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Surrealist. View Post
    Amazing releases in the last few weeks with LW, Modo and now this.
    I think my head is going to explode! Exciting times for a non-AD world.

  2. #17
    Super Member geo_n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    jpn
    Posts
    4,677
    Video is wierd. Like an infommercial selling exercise equipment. Even worse they are reading a whiteboard script.
    But the software is really impressive. I wonder if we can import lw animations thru fbx,etc and use the fx capabilites in houdini. For apprentice version 99USD hd renders its very interesting to see if its possible to match cameras, animation and render out passes to combine with lw renders.

  3. #18
    Discerne.com CEO caesar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Piracicaba, Brazil
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    Houdini don't have modeling
    .
    My bad, houdini HAS modeling...but not very intuitive at first

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mkjlb6QzV4o
    Moro num pais tropical...
    Discerne.com - personal blog

  4. #19
    Super Member geo_n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    jpn
    Posts
    4,677
    http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/display.php?type=General
    Lw, 3dmax, AE data exchange. Looking good to me, and 99usd.

  5. #20
    Video is weird for me mostly because the speakers don't look to you; but to the side and up. The style it is what it is. The goodies are there, maybe not presented too much in depth, but one easily gets the strengths of the package, so I think it's on target.


    Hope to see non-AD growing and making breakthroughs (and not be bought )

  6. #21
    Discerne.com CEO caesar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Piracicaba, Brazil
    Posts
    741
    Quote Originally Posted by rcallicotte View Post
    I'm sorry, did you mean doesn't have modeling like Lightwave? Messiah has no modeling; it's all animation.

    Anyway, what do you think of Houdini as a modeling / character animation package?
    Sorry, Houdini has modeling. In fact, it has polys, subd and nurbs.
    I never worked with it ($price$) but I was reading some posts at cgtalk(http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=1013499):
    that people likes it a lot for fx.
    In Houdini you see muscles, auto riggers (biped, quadruped) and a lot of cool stuff. But it looks more a TD thing that a "one man show" like LW.
    And talking about price, I prefer to learn fx and fluids in blender and composite with LW.
    Moro num pais tropical...
    Discerne.com - personal blog

  7. #22
    One thing though, did you catch the simulation times on those cloth examples? That is some serious resources (simulation times) you'll have to spend to get that quality.

    Just follows my conclusions about cloth sims in general. Nothing good comes cheap. Just like rendering.

    But if you need that kind of stuff and have the resources, looks like Houdini will step up to the challenge.

  8. #23
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    15,848
    Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    Video is wierd. Like an infommercial selling exercise equipment. Even worse they are reading a whiteboard script.
    But the software is really impressive. I wonder if we can import lw animations thru fbx,etc and use the fx capabilites in houdini. For apprentice version 99USD hd renders its very interesting to see if its possible to match cameras, animation and render out passes to combine with lw renders.
    I got my free apprentice version closed? donīt know if they changed policy and now the apprentice version costs some money? have to check.

    Anyway before I could make a fluid sim (liquids) and export obj and mdd, and imported to Lightwave, that worked, unfortunatly I didnīt do it so often so I forgot the workflow, and since my apprentice version stopped working I wasnīt up to install a new one, I have the new Lightwave 11 to work on so..

    I couldnīt find any fbx export thou in the apprentice version, that seem to have been left out.

    Houdini is cool for a lot of stuff, but Lightwave is cooler for other stuff, and for the price range, Lightwave is for you personally and a studio, so get that and learn houdini but let the
    studio worry about licenses for Houdini.

    Michael

  9. #24
    Super Member geo_n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    jpn
    Posts
    4,677
    Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    Anyway before I could make a fluid sim (liquids) and export obj and mdd, and imported to Lightwave, that worked,
    That's good to hear. But its very hard to find tutorials for houdini. I wanted to use the fluids in houdini instead of blender because the basic work methology in blender is just vastly different. Hard to remember how to do it again every few months when another commercial needing fluids is needed. I wish lw had some basic fluids so that I wouldn't have to go out of lw for projects that are usually just beer commercials with small liquid effects.

  10. #25
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    15,848
    Quote Originally Posted by geo_n View Post
    That's good to hear. But its very hard to find tutorials for houdini. I wanted to use the fluids in houdini instead of blender because the basic work methology in blender is just vastly different. Hard to remember how to do it again every few months when another commercial needing fluids is needed. I wish lw had some basic fluids so that I wouldn't have to go out of lw for projects that are usually just beer commercials with small liquid effects.
    I think they have some tutes covering a lot..
    http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opti...875&Itemid=262

    what they do not have is export to lightwave pipeline tutorial.

    Michael

  11. #26
    Adapting Artist jasonwestmas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,399
    If you can cache out an object sequence, you can use that in Lightwave. Motion blur is a different story though.

  12. #27
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    15,848
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    If you can cache out an object sequence, you can use that in Lightwave. Motion blur is a different story though.
    Depends on scene, but for exporting liquid fluids, mdd baking and export to lightwave should work, at least it did.. and motion blur should work on that too.
    Theres an mdd export node in there somewhere, just tab and type mdd, then Itīs a matter of putting it in right in the network, I think someone made a very fast little movie clip of that somewhere, have to check at home if I can find it.

    Michael

  13. #28
    RETROGRADER prometheus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    sweden stockholm
    Posts
    15,848
    uhhmm..found a video here...just a basic mdd export of a simple animation thou...
    http://www.screencast.com/users/elam...d-58225acd91fc

    I tested it on some break up stuff a long time ago in this thread.
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=91711

    Might look a little different in newer Houdini versions thou.

    Michael

  14. #29
    Adapting Artist jasonwestmas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    11,399
    Yeah I think MDD would work for some effects like Rigid and soft dynamics. Plus motion blur could be applied to that easily enough.

    But for real fluids (that may splash) I really don't know how you can use point cache for that if it's a point cloud based sim. I've been studying up a little on the subject lately. =)

    Thanks for the vid links btw.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 03-07-2012 at 09:18 AM.

  15. #30
    Red Mage Celshader's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Burbank, California
    Posts
    1,817

    Lightbulb If you have access to the Next Limit RealFlow plug-ins...

    Quote Originally Posted by jasonwestmas View Post
    But for real fluids (that may splash) I really don't know how you can use point cache for that if it's a point cloud based sim. I've been studying up a little on the subject lately. =)
    I have not yet tried this, but a colleague suggested that I try using Next Limit's plug-ins to export particles in the RealFlow *.bin particle format in order to load them into another package. He meant that I should use this technique to export Maya particles to LightWave, but it could work for Houdini as well.
    Jen's 3D -- LightWave stuff.
    Jen's 2D -- my comic book.

    Python is my smashing board. LightWave is my S.M.A.K.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •