Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Houdini 12 goes gold...

Houdini 12 goes gold...

As usual, itīs on its own FX-related league

Iīve been heavily into the beta testing program, so I already know this version rocks
    Last edited by Netvudu; 03-01-2012 at 02:58 PM.
    3d animation? Hah! Did you take a look through your window?thereīs plenty of it...and pre-rendered!!

the apprentice is already there! It was from the very first time it went gold, actually
    3d animation? Hah! Did you take a look through your window?thereīs plenty of it...and pre-rendered!!

Nope, just downloaded the free Apprentice, and it's version 12.
    passionately alive

Visit my portfolio!

Amazing releases in the last few weeks with LW, Modo and now this.

Those cloth tests look very impressive.

http://www.sidefx.com/index.php?opti...126&Itemid=360

not that amazing but Blender also upgraded from 2.61 to 2.62
    http://www.blender.org/development/r...s/blender-262/

great times for us all.
    Dell XPS 8930 8-Core i9 9900K - 64GB DDR4 - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti - Windows 10
    MSI Prestige PS63 4-Core i7 8565U - 16GB DDR4 - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti Max-Q - Windows 10

the price is impressive too...

feel a bit sorry for them, the marketing video is quite bad, they should hire Rob.

but yeap, some of the features kicks...

 
    Last edited by erikals; 03-03-2012 at 12:06 PM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post
    the price is impressive too...

feel a bit sorry for them, the marketing video is quite bad, they should hire Rob.

but yeap, some of the features kicks...

 
    That video is weird with those talking people, why did they do that?

If you mean Side Effectīs video- Well itīs a different style always. You know, the thing there is they have a great sense of community because itīs also a small company. Most people that have been using Houdini for years, know on a first person basis people from the development team.

So, I do understand your crits on the video, and to a point I even share them, but just so that you understand me, it made me very happy to see some of those guys Iīve met personally, on my screen telling me about what is a really impressive version of Houdini (according to most user base, the best Houdini release for the last 4 or 5 versions).
    IMHO they are so proud of it, that they want to appear and shout to the world how impressive it is what they just released.

It is indeed debateable if itīs a good marketing decision, but I donīt think it is going to hurt at all Houdiniīs market share. At the beta forums, Iīve seen the reaction of many people from the different studios to this version, and they are simply ecstasic about it...
    Itīs a shame you have to know a bit of Houdini to realize some of the changes that are less flashy, but are indeed as important (if not more)as those featured there.

I've been wanting to do some ragdoll stuff but have the rig break apart dynamically for limbs that can be removed and tumble around. Has anyone seen that done with Houdini or anywhere for that matter?
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 03-03-2012 at 02:27 PM.

And on Linux too, so worth a play even if only as a starving artist.
    Forum Tips
    If English is your first language, you should know it's 'losing' and not 'loosing'!

Heffalump
    It's mildly irritating that the Apprentice HD version is now an annual license, rather than a permanent license. The pricing for that remains attractive, though. I just don't like expiring licenses. Yes, I still want the moon on a stick for the price of a Mars bar.
    Inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil View Post
    It's mildly irritating that the Apprentice HD version is now an annual license, rather than a permanent license. The pricing for that remains attractive, though. I just don't like expiring licenses. Yes, I still want the moon on a stick for the price of a Mars bar.
    Jeeezes yeah, I mean super duper amazing dynamics and rendering for a fraction of the cost, for any personal project that doesn't make money. That's awesome!

above the ecuator, then, on the right, but not too much
    Quote Originally Posted by erikals View Post

.. , the marketing video is quite bad, ..

they arent RockStars , and even so .. They won an Oscar few weeks ago .

Congratulations to Them for that and the 12th reincarnation !

Just downloaded the free version, it's fun to see how fur rendering is still too slow, and the volumetrics (smoke, fire, explosion) are even faster.
    Houdini don't have modeling, like messiah. Anyway the node nature of the app is interesting.
    I like the composition capabilities too. Really impressed by the cloth and fluid.
    Moro num pais tropical...
    Discerne.com - personal blog

I'm sorry, did you mean doesn't have modeling like Lightwave? Messiah has no modeling; it's all animation.

Anyway, what do you think of Houdini as a modeling / character animation package?

Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    Just downloaded the free version, it's fun to see how fur rendering is still too slow, and the volumetrics (smoke, fire, explosion) are even faster.
    Houdini don't have modeling, like messiah. Anyway the node nature of the app is interesting.
    I like the composition capabilities too. Really impressed by the cloth and fluid.
    "Once one can articulate an important idea into a concise statement, then one can use the statement and not have to have the fear of changing behavior." - Ed Catmull on Pixar creativity

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast