Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TED 2023 (Prometheus)

Lightwave Muddler... wrightyp100's Avatar
    I am the Keeper Of The Cheese!

My Youtube Channel! Enjoyhttp://www.youtube.com/user/wrightyp100?feature=mhum

Also, check out my film Production Website.

http://www.trifectafilms.co.uk

Wow!!! This looks promising..

If anything this puts me off seeing Prometheus. Not that it isn't a neat clip, rather that just by using the Weyland Corp. as the heavy it is another piece of the Alien story that is getting used in what is supposed to be an original work (not a prequel or sequel.)

As gorgeous as the eye-candy is in the trailer, I am beginning to wonder if this isn't going to become a derivative rehashing/retelling of the Alien saga. To me, the very worst possible outcome is that the movie is neither a true installment of the Alien storyline nor an original piece but a middle of the road piece of trash (storywise) that they throw millions at in special effects.

I am really excited for Prometheus but upon hearing this "weyland" brand name it suddenly feels very thin.

Just call it some other name. I don't want to hear the same old brands.

Now it just feels like we are going to have all these nods.

Keep it original Ridley. Completely. uhg.
    -----------------
    KC

Lightwave Muddler... wrightyp100's Avatar
    The company has to stay the same for it to be in the same universe. Its not Weyland - Utani. Its set before the merger. It all just.. makes sense.

The space jocky is also in it. As is the ship. And they must be on LV426.

The list goes on. Im more worried about how clean everything looks. But I like my movies gritty.
    I am the Keeper Of The Cheese!

My Youtube Channel! Enjoyhttp://www.youtube.com/user/wrightyp100?feature=mhum

Also, check out my film Production Website.

http://www.trifectafilms.co.uk

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    It has been stated that this is a prequel in the sense that it happens in the same universe as Alien and is set before the Alien films. It is not a 'true' prequel in that it isn't about the same subject as the other films - ie. the Xenomorphs....to me, this makes perfect sense and I'm more excited about it than if it was just another Alien film.

Quote Originally Posted by biliousfrog View Post
    It has been stated that this is a prequel in the sense that it happens in the same universe as Alien and is set before the Alien films. It is not a 'true' prequel in that it isn't about the same subject as the other films - ie. the Xenomorphs....to me, this makes perfect sense and I'm more excited about it than if it was just another Alien film.
    This is exactly what I was talking about. I don't get the concept of "Let's make a movie in the Alien Universe but not have Aliens in it." Lost me before they ever even got out the gate.

I'll wait for Blu-ray. If I'm going to spend $20 to see it, I might as well be buying it.

I love it!
    Senior Technical Supervisor
    Cinematics Department
    Massive - A Ubisoft Studio
    -----
    Intel Core i7-4790K @ 4GHz
    16GB Ram
    GeForce GTX 1080 8GB
    Windows 10 Pro x64

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    This is exactly what I was talking about. I don't get the concept of "Let's make a movie in the Alien Universe but not have Aliens in it." Lost me before they ever even got out the gate.

I'll wait for Blu-ray. If I'm going to spend $20 to see it, I might as well be buying it.
    http://www.prometheus-movie.com/articles/3

Current Official Synopsis

Ridley Scott, director of 'Alien' and 'Blade Runner,' returns to the genre he helped define. With PROMETHEUS, he creates a groundbreaking mythology, in which a team of explorers discover a clue to the origins of mankind on Earth, leading them on a thrilling journey to the darkest corners of the universe. There, they must fight a terrifying battle to save the future of the human race.

Original Official Synopsis

Visionary filmmaker Ridley Scott returns to the genre he helped define, creating an original science fiction epic set in the most dangerous corners of the universe. The film takes a team of scientists and explorers on a thrilling journey that will test their physical and mental limits and strand them on a distant world, where they will discover the answers to our most profound questions and to life's ultimate mystery.

What we know so far:

Little is known about Prometheus' plotline. But what we can share with you is that the film is set in space for the most part. Similar to that of "ALIEN"; the jumping off point to this project. The film's name "Prometheus" is that of the space vessel, used by a crew of select individuals who set off to explore and investigate fragments of "Alien DNA".

The film itself revolves around the Space Jockey creature; as seen in the original film ALIEN (1979). When the team of scientists embark on this journey, they get stranded on an Alien world which tests their limits; both mental and physical.

Prometheus is also largely based on the creation of mankind, life and the Earth. From the recent synopsis publicly released by 20th Century Fox, we can determine roughly that Prometheus involves a team of scientists, "The Company" representatives and robot / synthetics which investigate and search for keys to unlock man's ultimate mystery. But in the process, they threaten the future existence of mankind and are faced with unimaginable horrors.

The Aliens themselves are said to be much larger than the original "Xenomorphs" we are used to. However, their overall construction will be easily noticable to that of the original Alien canon.

Prometheus will be much more than just an Alien sci-fi horror. Ridley Scott is digging deeper for this project and Prometheus will unlock many questions and will touch on many aspects of life and existence. A true masterpiece.
    Happy now?

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter2999 View Post
    To me, the very worst possible outcome is that the movie is neither a true installment of the Alien storyline nor an original piece but a middle of the road piece
    Not happy at all.

I didn't realize this wasn't part of the movie. Maybe I don't have to be worried after all. The TED talk format for this is pretty neat in proper context. I am just happy it isn't the actual film. It just took all the wind out of it for me. Felt like another AVP cheapo green screen project. I've read that there is a large majority of practical effects for the sets on prometheus. Which is a breath of fresh air.
    -----------------
    KC

-----------------
    KC

Love it!

Good sci-fi movies are always welcome

Sounds like it might be thought-provoking.

We're looking forward to it.

Somewhere, over the rainbow....

i just understand jadda jadda jadda...
    my website: www.andymeyer.ch
    Supermicro 7047A-T/X9DAi: dual E5-2687 8C/16T @3.1ghz | 64GB Ram | nVidia GTX680-4gb (301.42) | Win7 64 Bit (SP1) |
    display 30"+30"+22" | 13 rendernodes, 54 cores

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast