Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iVGA question

iVGA question

Frist off, I'm new to Tricasters and I've searched for this topic to no avail so I'm sorry if this is duplicated.

When using iVGA, I notice that from time to time my computer goes black....similiar to a powersave when a computer monitor shuts off...or a screen saver.

Is this normal, is there a way to disengage this from happening?

Thanks!

I have never had that issue, are you sure that youre PC is not set to go to hibernate in youre settings?

I agree. Sounds like you need to change your screen or power settings.
    Ted R. Ruiz Sr.
    Ad-Venture Video Productions
    Elite NewTek Dealer
    www.editbay.tv
    TriCasters, Most All Models
    Cameras-Mostly HVX 200's

LiveSet Making Machine joseburgos's Avatar
    Is the computer under powered? What are it's spec's, CPU, OS and GPU?
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    NewTek Certified on all TriCaster's
    NewTek Training & Certification Testing
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

should probably clarify...I don't lose signal on the local source computer...I lose the image/signal on the tricaster. To clarify again, I don't atually lose signal per say.....I lose image on the preview pane and when I enage the source computer again, I do get the video signal back...again, never losing image on the source computer itself. I'm positive it's not a computer issue as I never lose image on my laptop...all screensavers, "monitor off", "harddrive off" setting have previously been disengaged.

As for the computer strength, we are using Dell Precision M4500s. But how is that an issue if it's a basic cat-5 ethernet connection?

For reference I have attached a screen grab of a recording we did when we encountered this issue. We are a litigation support firm that does legal video production and we use the tricaster to record HD Interactive Depositions. We use the PIP functions to show the testifying witness over the source computer showing exhbits. What are seeing is just that...the full screen shot under the PIP should be that of the source computer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tomasulo - 2-27-120001.mpg_snapshot_00.48.29_[2012.02.27_22.00.23].jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	102278
    Last edited by the_scottyj; 03-02-2012 at 11:55 AM.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Are you updated to the latest version of Tricaster software? I seem to remember some similar issues with IVGA dropping out back in the 2.0 days.
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

great...I'll try an update
    Last edited by the_scottyj; 03-02-2012 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the_scottyj View Post
    As for the computer strength, we are using Dell Precision M4500s. But how is that an issue if it's a basic cat-5 ethernet connection?

For reference I have attached a screen grab of a recording we did when we encountered this issue. We are a litigation support firm that does legal video production and we use the tricaster to record HD Interactive Depositions. We use the PIP functions to show the testifying witness over the source computer showing exhbits. What are seeing is just that...the full screen shot under the PIP should be that of the source computer.

iVGA does use Ethernet to stream the desktop but it does use CPU and I think GPU with larger demands on the system when multiple monitors are used and large resolutions. I'm sure Steve will correct me where I am wrong as far as GPU usage but for sure CPU and multiple screens like laptop LCD plus external monitor and iVGA using a large resolution. Not saying you are doing this but more to point out Ethernet is only the pipe that sends the signal and not the engine the signal is generated with. The frame rate usually drops down when this happens though and not what you are getting/
    But just from experience, this type of screen black out has usually been resolved with an update to the GPU driver. Check to see if you have the latest driver for what I think is a NVidia card in the M4500.
    I am just saying I've seen this before but never with iVGA and every time, updating my drivers fixed the problem.

Good luck,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

should probably clarify...I don't lose signal on the local source computer...I lose the image/signal on the tricaster. To clarify again, I don't atually lose signal per say.....I lose image on the preview pane and when I enage the source computer again, I do get the video signal back...again, never losing image on the source computer itself. I'm positive it's not a computer issue as I never lose image on my laptop...all screensavers, "monitor off", "harddrive off" setting have previously been disengaged.

This just started happening to me. I have a TC850 Extreme and it is updated to the latest software... This NEVER happened prior to my upgrade to the latest software. FYI, I thought it was my Mac, but you use a DELL and you are having the same problem..

Quote Originally Posted by joseburgos View Post
    iVGA does use Ethernet to stream the desktop but it does use CPU and I think GPU with larger demands on the system when multiple monitors are used and large resolutions. I'm sure Steve will correct me where I am wrong as far as GPU usage but for sure CPU and multiple screens like laptop LCD plus external monitor and iVGA using a large resolution. Not saying you are doing this but more to point out Ethernet is only the pipe that sends the signal and not the engine the signal is generated with. The frame rate usually drops down when this happens though and not what you are getting/
    But just from experience, this type of screen black out has usually been resolved with an update to the GPU driver. Check to see if you have the latest driver for what I think is a NVidia card in the M4500.
    I am just saying I've seen this before but never with iVGA and every time, updating my drivers fixed the problem.

Good luck,
    Jose... I don't agree. iVGA is nothing more than a screen sharing app. I've had clients link into my productions with netbooks (Atom processors) via iVGA on a USB flash drive, streaming video and displaying huge PowerPoints.

Having said that, the ethernet switch should be a gigabit switch not 10/100. The 10/100 will work but is slower than molasses on a frosty friday!
    Last edited by nedb; 03-02-2012 at 10:14 PM.

I'm glad you've had good success with underpowered systems, but to the best of my knowledge José is correct. Client system resources (and competing demands on them) do matter - at least according to those who built it.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

great...I'll try an update
    I'm just curious to see if the latest update resolved your problem. Also I now understand it's on the TriCaster you see this and not on the laptop itself which is what I thought, hence my worry of the laptops performance (which I am still not ruling out).
    I would like to also know if you have tried another laptop to see if it does the same thing?

Take care,
    Jose Burgos
    NewTek Certified Trainer
    www.burgosfx.com
    FaceBook
    Twitter @NYTriCaster

Thanks for checking on this Jose. I have updated the Tricaster and update the iVGA on my source laptops....unfortuantely, I haven't had a chance to check out since then as I was working on a trial this week that finally wrapped up today. I plan to set it up tomorrow and do some bench testing.

As for it happening on multipe laptops....the answer is yes. We have had it occur with three different laptops (All Dell M4500s)....however, again to clarify...we NEVER lose signal on the source laptop itself...only on the signal on the Tricaster.

In the meantime, I am going to make sure my NIDVA settings on my source laptops are updated. More to come on this I'm sure.

Thanks all for your continued feedback...hopefully we can kick this.

Scott Johnson
    Trial Consultant/Techncian
    Legal Videographer
    Precise Inc.
    Media, PA

Well, it looks we are resolved. I ended up installing the update for the tricaster as well as updating the iVGA application AND updating the driver for Nvidia. I ran a test for about three hours and the issue did not show once.

Out of curiosity, I also ran a test with an un-updated laptop and the issue to not show in that case either....so it looks like the root source of the issue was with the Tricaster firmware.

Thanks to all on this item. If it appears again in the future, I'll be sure to update this thread.
    Scott A. Johnson
    Trial Consultant/Technician
    Precise, Inc.
    610-565-9544 ext. 110
    precise-law.com
    Follow us on LinkedIn®
    PRECISE | Discover. Organize. Present. Prevail.

I'm experencing the loss of the conection also. In a live show right now and I have a PPT in an hour an can't make the conection. Had it earlier today now I can't get wireless or nic cable conection. XD850 with every thing updated. Kim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast