Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vray for Lightwave

yeah, I don't think anyone here is slamming lightwave. It still is a great deal for the price.

Edit: I just wouldn't want LW to get left behind as these other solutions become more and more affordable.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 06-10-2012 at 06:07 AM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

ok guys now after news from Chaos Group telling that they are going to open their SDK for 3rd party softwares, will Newtek make an easier way to catch those tools in Lightwave?

and once again about price, blender is free and google sketchup has free version and both work with Vray, so is not about how expensive can be the application, Vray just works.
    Last edited by BERSEKAEL; 06-13-2012 at 02:41 PM.

+1 YES! pleaaasee!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Chaos Group have no plans currently from what I understand.
    Still no plans for Vray? I see Vray in FormZ, Cinema 4D and Modo, and gaining popularity, while LW is going the opposite direction. Sketchup has become a standard now (thanks to Vray in a great proportion) is now a work requirement for architecture.

I wonder why there are no plans for Lightwave, to talk with Chaosgroup about future plans.

Regards.
    Last edited by BERSEKAEL; 04-06-2018 at 08:21 AM.

I have some interesting news... Vray just released a beta version for Unreal Engine beta version, so I joined the beta for both, and in the survey list of other applications used within ChaosGroup website, it shows "LIGHTWAVE" as an option. I really hope this means Newtek is on the scope for future plans at Chaos Group.

Would be nice from Newtek to start a conversation.

I think LW is probably quite low on their list because of the perceived user base. Maybe this will change but who knows. Also LW has Octane as well.
    Dell XPS 15
    15.6-inch (3840 x 2160) 4K 282ppi IPS LCD
    Intel i7 7700HQ 2.8GHz
    Windows 10 64Bit
    NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
    1TB SDD
    32Gb Ram

LightWave 2019.03

Very nice Laptop

Redshift are looking for a Blender plugin developer.

wouldn't people just use Octane these days?

been doing many animation tests lately, and Octane is definitely the way to go
    LightWave is nice for celshading and pure raytracing
    Kray is great for interiors

so, Octane for me

Octane 4 with Ai-noisereduction looks nice on the paper and in previews,
    hope it works nicely in real-world scenarios also

Last edited by erikals; 04-22-2018 at 04:30 AM.
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

In the 2018 CGArchitect survey*, there were 4x more using VrayRT (GPU Vray, 29.6%) than the combined bases of LW (1.4%)+Kray (0.6%)+Octane (5.2%) together. Vray Adv (CPU) had 63.4% of users by itself -- over twice the usage of VrayRT! There were also more experimenting with VrayRT (12%) than the combination of Octane (8.9%), Kray (0.3%), and LW (0.1%) all put together.

Between Vray, VrayRT, and Corona, ChaosGroup basically owns the render engine market, plain and simple. Considering neither Vray nor Corona are native plugins for any GP3D pkgs, that says a LOT. The only other render engine with remotely significant marketshare compared to Vray/VrayRT currently is Corona, and guess what, Corona isn't available for LW either.

So yeah, LW needs Vray and VrayRT, very much so.

Octane's market presence in these surveys is about par with its showing in most other contemporary market data. Probably not wise to bet much on Octane leaping to the market forefront any time soon. It's got a decent niche marketshare, but neither position nor rate of growth place it as a significant competitive threat to ChaosGroup offerings.

*: See here for details. There's a 2016 version around as well.
    Last edited by jwiede; 06-10-2018 at 09:14 PM.
    John W.
    LW2015.3UB/2018.0.7 on MacPro(12C/24T/10.13.6),32GB RAM, NV 980ti

i repeat once again .. Octane is -almost- Native LW renderer and it is great and it will be insanely great VERY soon ))

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123