Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vray for Lightwave

to be quite honest I think what matters is the artist and not the tools. They have a part, yes but in the end the artist is what matters. I work with 20 people using vray (and I use it too in a daily basis) and I honestly think that LW render is up there with vray. I am using 3dsmax with vray only because of the pass manager we use.
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

Quote Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
    to be quite honest I think what matters is the artist and not the tools. They have a part, yes but in the end the artist is what matters. I work with 20 people using vray (and I use it too in a daily basis) and I honestly think that LW render is up there with vray. I am using 3dsmax with vray only because of the pass manager we use.
    and what about efficiency. I haven't been using LW lately mainly for that reason. I've been finding more efficient methods for animation and rendering that especially. Also rendering inside your modeling environment is very nice way to speed things up I'm finding. Granted it all depends what one is doing.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 06-04-2012 at 06:31 AM.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

 
    not sure what you mean, what LW render areas are so inefficient ?
    i know it has it's quirks, but i think that's a bit harsh ?

 
    LW vidz   DPont donate   LightWiki   RHiggit   IKBooster   My vidz

Too harsh about efficiency with animation and rendering that, nah don't think so. I think anyone who has used other applications knows what I'm talking about.
    All that is powerful or long standing is first conceived in the imagination; supported by the hope of possibility and then made manifest in our commitment of our current physical reality.

hm, didn't you just comment on Maya and Mental Ray earlier? :]

i'd have to disagree. though i can see room for improvement for sure.
     

yeah, I'm not sure why I post here anymore tbh. I'll just move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Many people don't, including all those using LightWave in productions such as Iron Sky and Terra Nova (which could have gone Vray, but didn't because the LightWave renders were preferred - true story).
    And I agree lightwave have better shaders for organics. V Ray characters looks a bit " plastic ".

Anyway, Vray does a big difference when interior lightning is required and I've not seen beautier and realistic architech/cars renders equal or better than Vray ones.

Sad they're not interested in Lightwave actually. Hope Kray grow more and more.
    Silvio Toledo
    Brazil

 
    well, i heard good stuff about Kray 3 for animation, let's see...
    lots of Vray renders for film are just washed out though, to render faster. cheating.
    (strange people haven't commented on that actually, hey it's Vray, it must be good...)

too bad there's no real comparisons.

but yeah, many good points on what's good about Vray earlier in this thread.
    hope NT takes a note.

 
    Last edited by erikals; 06-04-2012 at 12:39 PM.

 
    again, an interesting Kray vs Vray test... posted before.
    http://www.kraytracing.com/joomla/fo...rb_v=viewtopic
    and http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=126386

so it's not about quality, but rather a question about number of users and render speed.
    (there's some info on the Kray forums on Kray vs Vray speed btw)

anyway, been discussed before.
    maybe i'll make a sum-up of what i've found so far, but to put it short, my conclusion so far, if Vray isn't faster than Kray, then i can't the drama...

there is the "because everybody else use it" argument,
    but then you'd also have to add the cost into the bill...

am i right so far?...
     
    Last edited by erikals; 06-04-2012 at 12:59 PM.

 
    well, Kray lacks displacement (sorta) EXR and SSS, that sucked. hope to see it in Kray 3...

 
    Last edited by erikals; 06-04-2012 at 02:03 PM.

Erikals kray users don't really use kray for animation or non-photoreal renders. Its better to compare lw renderer and vray renderer. They are both used for general purpose.
    Please show us what projects you do first because I don't see any work from you do you even want/need vray, kray, etc? Have you even tested or used them thoroughly? Hard to base opinion on hearsay.

But first thing is price. Vray is not cheap when lw itself is cheap and number one reason people are staying in lw is because of basic initial cost, unless you add the numerous plugins, mocap motionbuilder, etc. So I've also come to realize vray for lw is not feasable.

Quote Originally Posted by zardoz View Post
    thats a bit trivial imo
    the tool dont make the artist .... obvious...but the artist usually tend to use the better tools ...the tools that can enhance his skills
    segovia did play a very good guitar even if wasnt segovia because of the guitar
    Last edited by giacob; 06-08-2012 at 03:16 PM.

giacob, I know that better tools help you get better results.
    I am just bored of having people complaining about lw's render. It's good to have other options, but people are always asking for other render engines because lw's isn't good enough. I still know of pipelines where maya or xsi are used to animate and then things are exported to lw to render. So it can't be that bad hey?
    Intel Core i7-4770 @3.40GHz,GeForce GTX 660 - Ram 8Gb - Win 8.1 64b

I would love to see VRay for LightWave one day...

VRay was the reason i started using 3dsMax a year ago, after 15 years of sole LightWave renderings...

For those unfamiliar, rest assured; VRay is so much more advanced than LightWave's native renderer, it's not a joke!

And i'm not talking about quality; LW can achieve equal quality given the time and the right user. I'm talking about the features, that make the rendering procedure a painless walk in the park.

You'll get exactly what you want to achieve. Easily, with no workarounds, no cheats, no wild guessing, no compromising.
    And you'll get there fast. And i mean FAST; days faster than LW, or any other well establish renderer out there, at the same or similar quality.
    Did i mention it's fast?

Of course, there's a steep price to pay for it, cause you need 3dsMax/Maya/etc first -or LW if it was available for-, then you need a VRay license; that's where LightWave shines of course, along with a overall great rendering engine...

But, aside costs, feature wise is not fair for LightWave to compare it with VRay; it's like racing a BMW Z4 against a Bugatti Veyron; both great cars, both roadsters, but not in par by a long shot, in features and in costs...

So, i would very much like to have VRay inside LightWave, cause there's ALL the other stuff aside the renderer that LightWave excels as well and the two would be a serious killer combo...

Cheers,
    T.Rex

 
    V-ray is available for Blender, though as standalone, http://vray.cgdo.ru
    what i wonder, why can't someone write a plugin function for Lightwave?

 

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast