Thread: Recording stops on its own with no errors or mesages

Exclamation Recording stops on its own with no errors or mesages

So here's my latest in a very frustrating month in tricaster land

As my subject suggests...on my tcxd300 the recording just stops...that's it.

No warning. No error message. Nothing.

I hit record again and it starts again.

How happy was my client that I lost a chunk of their event? Not especially.

In a possible related matter I received a message an hour earlier in the session about "error - frames changed format" ???

I am grateful for your wisdom on this very troubling issue.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    Sorry to hear about your loss.

Why didn't you have a recorder also behind the TriCaster ?

I trust TriCasters but in the end my business and my client is what is most important. Back in the days of old, we ran two tape decks in case of a clogged head or tape jam. Why would you do something different now with a TriCaster?
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

Well I must eat the responsibility for not having a back up...but silly me I thought my $20000 computer purpose built for live events would...you know...work.

My recording just dropped again and the frame format error seems to happen when it does record.

Pretty unhappy that I'm now going to have to go buy another piece of gear to account for the failures of other gear. Super duper.

Thanks for your reply.

NewTek System Integrator PIZAZZ's Avatar
    Texas, or wherever the plane drops me off this week
    The TriCaster does make so many things easy to do, we often become complacent. I have been right where you are. I hate to admit, more than once. Cost has nothing to do with it though, I had a 1.5 million dollar satellite truck go down and prevent us from airing a game. A truck with dual paths and redundancy built in. Their $30,000 encoder just died.
    Last week for a tennis tournament we had all week, I not only had backup master recording but also web encoders running as backup too. If it wasn't webcasted we were not paid. So yes I agree that the TC should work, but if it comes down to getting paid or not by delivering something to my client, I am going make sure I have a backup.

Now about your problem,
    Have you defragged your media drive?

Maybe run a check disk utility on it too?

Also which software version are you running?
    Jef Kethley
    PIZAZZ
    www.pizazz.com

Using:
    All models of TriCasters + 3Play, IPSeries
    Panasonic UB300 4k cams
    Tactical Fiber/converters, SDI2NDI converters, NDI-Viewfinder, and NDI2HDMI

I was very surprised to see when poped the hood on my 300 that there is only one drive and the os and media drive are merely partitions. Very surprising.

So I'm going to run an os drive and then pop in a media drive in the open slot.

Is this a good idea?

But really what the heck does "frame format changed" even mean?

NewTek Engineering QA VideoEng QA's Avatar
    "frames changed format" means that a source that was being recorded had either the audio (most likely) or video format change while it was recording. One common way to cause this is to make changes in the External Audio tab for a source that is being recorded. As far as modding your XD300, we tend to recommend that you don't open your TriCaster and make modifications as it could have unintended consequences and possibly void the warranty, etc.

In order to make sure you have the absolute latest build, please navigate to http://register.newtek.com and log in. There you can select the link "my downloads" and grab the update labeled "Latest". Currently, this links to the rev4a update. If you have updated your XD300 to the latest build, and you are still having troubles with recording, please contact customer service at [email protected].

Thank you,
    NewTek Engineering QA
    For bug reports, feature requests, or technical inquiries: https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit

May be worth nothing, but I know that our AJA Ki Pro's will drop a recording if you, power off / loose SDI link, the SDI source that is feeding the Ki Pro. The latest firmware did allow you to choose to record through such an event. But prior to this FW any drop such as a battery change would drop a camera ISO recording. Maybe the NewTek guys can speak to a possible similarity?