Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: PIPELINE DAZstudiopro4-LIGHTWAVE

Truart has created a mass vertex map deletion tool that can multi select maps, please check out the thread in this forum as well as I think this will solve what many of us daz/poser users encounter while exporting to LW!

just found this..about exporting daz hair to lightwave....and some minor other advices, however...it is not about polystrand hair, just old polyhair with textures.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6pKFExF_sI

But as I understand this is only for still images! Am I right?
    Curious

You can use polygon strips for animation. Within limits, it can be a good substitute for actual fiber renders.

I used to use polygonal strips routinely before Sasquatch and FiberFX came along. It's a little tricky to animate long strips of hair convincingly, especially if you need a lot of motion, but in many situations it can look pretty nice. Besides dynamics, one big gotcha is transparency--to get the desired softness, you want to use transparency maps, not clip maps, but you may also need to crank up the Ray Recursion Limit to accommodate the many layers of transparency, which can potentially bring a render to a crawl.

One example that killed my render times was Alex the lion in a Madagascar video game spot we did many years ago. I wanted to use Sasquatch but I was over-ridden and told to use polygonal hair for the mane because it was felt that Sasqutch took too long to render (it really didn't though.) In the end, I had to kill the transparency in the strips and use only clip maps. This sped up the render times to something more reasonable but it didn't really look like Alex's mane any more.

After we finished that job, I did a test using Sasquatch, demonstrated render faster times and higher quality, and we pretty much stuck with Sasquatch (and later FiberFX) after than. One exception was our Fable: The Journey E3 trailer. We went back to using polygonal strips for hair in that cinematic but it was more of a stylistic choice than a technical one.

G.

Ok! Got that... but since I already have Sasquatch it might be an idea trying to figure out how it works!
    Curious

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    just found this..about exporting daz hair to lightwave....
    At 14mins, he gives odd advice to remove all spec as a solution to the problem of spec reflecting off transparent polys where no hair appears. Instead, to keep the spec only on the hair, copy the transparency maps into the spec channel as alphas, and uncheck Invert. Likewise, I apply the bump map in translucency. I may also apply the bump map in the Glossiness channel but set to Normal (maybe check Invert and see which looks better), to keep glossiness appropriate to the apparent hair density. I also apply incidence grads in dif, spec, & transluc. Also use 50% color highlights. May do the same with lashes. These settings all depend on your lighting, and specific maps for specific models. Some maps may need editing.
    Last edited by Mr Rid; 11-17-2014 at 12:36 AM.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

May the sauce be with you starbase1's Avatar
    Yep, they default to using the transparency map to mask spec, to avoid highlights appearing where there is no hair.

I've also managed to get good results by doubling up the hair polygons, and offsetting the copy slightly.
    Faith is the opposite of Intelligence.

Touched by his noodley appendage!
    My Lightwave Graphics & Downloads!!!

Hi all,
    I've been following this topic and have had some success withe Daz LW pipeline. Thank you all for the hard work.
    I have a question though. The weight maps coming in through FBX are crazy values. See image. when I try to select point by weight map modeller just selects every point in the model. I am at a loss as to why. I just want to adjust the weight maps value to a more reasonable percentage. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weight1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	472.4 KB 
ID:	126151
    64 bit Win 7 Enterprise
    Dual Intel(R) Xeon Quad Core 2.93GHz
    RAM 24.0 GB
    NVIDIA Quadro FX 5800
    Driver Version 259.81

There might be a setting in Daz just before you export it, otherwise you should be able to select and then with the numeric panel reset the weight value to whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter View Post
    Hi all,
    I've been following this topic and have had some success withe Daz LW pipeline. Thank you all for the hard work.
    I have a question though. The weight maps coming in through FBX are crazy values. See image. when I try to select point by weight map modeller just selects every point in the model. I am at a loss as to why. I just want to adjust the weight maps value to a more reasonable percentage. Any suggestions?
    Thanks.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	weight1.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	472.4 KB 
ID:	126151
    LW weight control leaves MUCH to be desired. Yes, being able to "slide" values by a percentage, is one of many features I wish existed. But using weights for bone control is extremely inefficient, let alone having to use Modeler to control bones in Layout. They really should update limited range bone features to minimize need for tedious weight painting, embedded in meshes, that are so awkward to edit.
    "O K, so what's the speed of dark?"

Demo reel 2017
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOOixvRhcs4

Ugh! This thread has exploded! Is there a good up-to-date recap somewhere of exporting daz3D scene to lightwave11.6?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyrizo2003 View Post
    For getting morphs into LW 11.6.2 I came across this just today! I made a quick video tutorial as I think it would be too long to write out. I am using Poser Pro 2014 32 bit to do this.

Essentially you will export a collada file from poser.

It is in the export options presets that you really need to concern yourself with.

Simply select the 3ds max/maya 2012+ preset;

another requestor will pop up and ask you what morphs you would like to export as well.

After exporting the .dae file load it into the autodesk fbx converter 2013 program here (http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...12&id=10775920) then convert.

Next load into modeler, it may take it a minute depending on how many morph targets you exported.

I only exported 6 in my video tutorial here (http://youtu.be/NPlxviUZ8lg) so it did not take too long to import.

I hope that helps!!

Tony

Was looking for something else today and came across this. This thread is more DAZ centric of course but with regard to the process here using Poser 2014, I have a question.

Even though I select All Morphs during the exporting process, I'm only getting those associated with the Head. i.e expressions, blinks, phonemes. Nothing for Hands, Body, etc. Any idea why that might be? Might it be with the 2013 preset in the Autodesk converter, or something I'm missing in Poser?

Thanks.

Bump reviving this a bit ..and A little of a crosspost, but anyway..this should be here too..
    If you are using ik booster and daz genesis fbx export...

The skeleton will be offset from the mesh if you try and apply ik booster as it is...
    so open the scene editor and delete these two bone items...

delete fbx_base_bone_transformer..
    delete genesis bone..

keep fbx_bone_hiearchy_standin, and keep the genesis shape of course, itīs just the two bone items above that seems to need to be deleted, then apply ik booster on the fbx_bone hiearchy_standin, and you should now be able to move the daz figure with ik booster controls... without the skeleton getting any offset from the actual figure mesh.

Michael

Thanks very much.
    J Michael Carrigan
    I just had an attack. Malware.
    But now I have a DESKTOP from Xidax. Not the best but pretty dang good.

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516