Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Schools are not using LW.

Schools are not using LW.

I'm a head of a french vfx company.
    I receive several job requests everyday.
    Lightwave do not appear in any of them.
    It's everytime Maya, 3dsmax, Zbrush.

...boring and hard to construct the future...

Nt are you aware about that gap?

Lwers, What is the status from your country?

Y, no surprise, maya and max are everywhere, they're more popular than gonorrhoea.

3d world mag

http://malaysia.3dworldmag.com/

90% uses maya. or something. too tired to read it again. but there are interesting numbers inside. and of course, the place where i currently study dropped lw for max. at least for students it's free. and we all know about industry marketshare.

Max and Maya are the packages being touted here, and more and more Blender.

But, if I were a VFX house then I would train the decent applicants up on LightWave if that were the company's tool of choice. If they want the job, then they must learn your preferred tool. A decent applicant will be good to go in a few months, they *should* be decent at basic solid modelling within weeks, and usable in a pipeline.

These are people fresh out of college/uni? Then they should be sponge-like, they should *want* to learn new stuff. If they don't then I would question their attitude and/or their long-term goals as a member of your team. Either way, they would likely be a bad investment for a long-term employee.
    - web: http://www.albino-igil.co.uk - 2D/3D Design Studio -
    - PC Spec: Intel i9-7940X @3.1GHz | 64Gb | 2 x GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb | Windows 10 Pro -

People learn this commercial software because most companies using this, they can find job yeasier than lw users. Here in Poland 3d graphics with few years experience can even don't saw lw and don't read too much about lw. Job advertisements are full of requirements autodesk programs (game dev), maybe few times i saw lightwaver needed (tv,visualizations,advertising).
    Marketing, advertising is too small compare to others soft and people choose this what is popular in industry... what have many actual tutorials and articles in internet.
    When I come to my company one year ago they don't hear about LW, they need 3dsmax user (We make simulators, I also work with Unity all the time). But finally I convinced them too LW and it's soo nice I using lw from something about 12 years, now 11.0 pre, good know only two lw users, my old friend, one work in TV. Lightwavers are like Ferrari owners, we put heart in this and wish the best in developing If I could do something to make lw more popular in my country...
    Last edited by MarcusM; 01-30-2012 at 09:33 AM.

...when I was at Filmschool, my professor was asking all companies(Alias, Avid Softimage, discreet 3dmax, Adobe, maxxon,...) if they have authorized trainers and a learning program to show us the 101 level, before he was inviting awesome people from the industry... almost all had one in europe, only Newtek was not caring about that... there was some awesome Lightwavers from the industry in our school than, but people could follow better with the 101 and 102 courses in mind...

Large companies set the educational standard, that's the reality of it. They have figured out a "Pipeline", several sold called formulas that usually include max, maya and Zbrush to do specific tasks. I think the whole idea that one app to rule them all is a forgotten myth in the minds of large companies now.

As a result Lightwave could indeed become more of a missing piece if it actually offered something that the big packages don't have in terms of workflow. Other than the easy to use render engine Lightwave has little to offer to make things better unfortunately. ICE and face Robot in Softimage two examples provide the tools to close up some of the gaps in advanced pipelines and provide that extra kick to speed up things when experimenting to get the vision that the artist has in his mind. This is no longer a game of I got this or I've got that but it's how flexible and fast the software can help you achieve effects that nobody has seen before or were difficult to achieve in the past. This is why SI, often makes it into the mix, especially for closeup cinematics and dynamic fx.
    Last edited by jasonwestmas; 01-30-2012 at 08:40 AM.

In my country, 60% is Max, 30% Maya+XSI, 10% C4D, Blender and others. I know only three people here who uses LW. But a month ago I was asked by one highly experienced Max user to help him jump into LW. He like him because of the speed, simplicity and 3rd party developers. So who know ....
    System info: CPU: Xeon X5680 RAM: 12GB DDR3/1333MHz MB: Asus P6T WS Pro GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win7, LW2018.0.7 x64

I will change my profession if LW will be no longer here :-) I just hate all Autodesk products. ALL OF THEM ! Hate those stupid pictographs, scrollable menus, massive loading times and constant crashes. I rather be a welder or miner than 3dMAX operator :-) I`m just too old to rewire all my braincells around MAX or MAYA.

Quote Originally Posted by fazi69 View Post
    I will change my profession if LW will be no longer here :-) I just hate all Autodesk products. ALL OF THEM ! Hate those stupid pictographs, scrollable menus, massive loading times and constant crashes. I rather be a welder or miner than 3dMAX operator :-) I`m just too old to rewire all my braincells around MAX or MAYA.
    Exactly ...
    System info: CPU: Xeon X5680 RAM: 12GB DDR3/1333MHz MB: Asus P6T WS Pro GFX: Asus GTX 750 Ti / 2GB OS: Win7, LW2018.0.7 x64

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusM View Post
    Here in Poland 3d graphics with few years experience can even don't saw lw and don't read too much about lw.
    It is not so bad but not so good like in good old Amiga times when LW was king of the hill. If You looking for LW people in Poland You must do that on 3dMAX forum ( blasphemy ! ) : http://www.max3d.pl/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=132
    There are few there.

I think that Newtek just loose marketing war. Product is good but it not have this " Avatar was made on it, transformers was made on it ...." fame important to many people who just want to try some 3d. Just look on any graphics forum and You will see : " What is the best 3d app ..." question everywhere. Lamers always think that what they see in cinema is just pure output of Maya or 3dMax .... moment when they realize that it all skills not tools is always way too far in terms of time invested in learning app appointed by other lamers as a best. They just stay in the camp and preach the glory of MAYA or MAX.

... I am very sure, in the freelancer marked there are more Lightwavers than Maya or Max users. Here in Berlin there are more Lightwave-Freelancers than Autodesk-Freelancer if you clean the statistic taking out the warez-users!! Of course, if somebody can give me a Ferrari with unlimited fuel,(Autodesk+Subscription) I dont say no if it is legal :-)

Hmm I don't see any Lightwave freelancer jobs except the few that get posted on this forum. Must be an arch viz lightwave job board out there somewhere. I don't do archviz but that appears to be the popular thing for lightwave. That and a few TV fx studios.

Yip, it used to be a great bang for the buck deal, but now after the price increase and other packages catching-up....I'm still freelancing using it but looking at the other options at the moment.

I'm a freelancer, and I do work for a Marketing Agency in another state delivering work by internet. I've been doing this for 4 years now. I use LW exclusively and am their 3D guy.

It's nice not having to drive to work.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast