Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SpeedEDIT™ 2.5 Software Update Now Available for Free Download

Quote Originally Posted by donx View Post
    Second problem
    I set all my add media windows up to the files I want to access, customized some bottom tabs. Close the program...
    It takes about 2 minutes of a spinning ball waiting then it says SpeedEdit closed unexpectedly.
    99% of the time this is a specific file causing the problem.

We basically try to play almost every possible file unlike most other editors that play a very specific set of files and force you to convert to their tiny subset. (I'm looking at you FCP...)

The downside of this is that we can't possibly test every possible combination of codecs, containers and manufacturers non-standard writing of each.

If you can narrow down what file or files are causing the problem I'm sure we can fix it but we will need your help.

I reopen the program and all of my settings are back to default
    SE writes settings to disk when it safely closes, so it's always best to set up your layout and then close SE so that they stick.

We spent quite a few months fixing every reported bug that was more than a very minor annoyance and completely rewriting the h.264 decoder, but it's an extremely complex piece of software. Had we seen it happen, I assure you it would have been fixed.

If you report the bugs to us and help to narrow down the steps to reproduce it, we'll do our best to fix it for everyone.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

No worries, Don.

Sorry I didn't realize that was your issue and offer a solution sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by lcress View Post
    No worries, Don.

Sorry I didn't realize that was your issue and offer a solution sooner.
    Don't beat yourself up over it. With the previous bug happening it was very hard to tell the difference.
    John Perkins
    Software Engineer

"No, it's my natural color..."

Just Tryin' To Help...

v2.5 doesn't want to generate thumbnails

Haven't had too much time to play with it, but I immediately noticed that it doesn't want to generate either existing or new thumbnails for video or project files (most of the time - some existing ones are OK, most don't show up).

Some existing thumbnails from the previous version of SE do show up, but often those that used to be there now just have the "generic" video thumbnail image, not a video clip still or the "animated" video from the clip or project when I hover over them. I am also not getting thumbnails when I've created new test projects.

Yes, I have tried deleting everything in the appropriate NewTek Info folders so they'll be regenerated when re-opening a FileBin where the clips or projects are located, but that hasn't been working as it should; the Info folder is still empty. This is happening more often with Project files than with Video files, but it is happening with both.

The only time I've had 2.5 generate thumbnails after I've deleted the existing NewTek Info files was one time when I shut down SE and rebooted the computer and restarted SE. Don't know if it makes a difference, but when I did get those new thumbnails I noticed they are .png images rather than the .jpg images that were generated previously.

SE was also crashing (locking up, no error message) quite a bit after it was first installed (I did reboot immediately after the install), but that seemed to have stopped happening for the most part after a few reboots.

On the good side, mpeg files can now be played and scrubbed MUCH more smoothly than before. I've been batch converting all my mpeg camera files to SpeedHQ before editing, it will be very nice not to have to do that anymore, at least for simple projects - thank you John!
    Last edited by Scott Bates; 01-28-2012 at 06:08 PM.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Quote Originally Posted by donx View Post
    Icress, I have my monitors set up like yours and for much the same reason. After John mentioned the solution I experimented and found that by switching the primary monitor from 1 over to monitor 2, the displays started working properly. They are still labelled 2-1 but the desktop shows up on 2 now. I did not have to physically move monitors.
    You never have to physically move anything. Just switch the video cable at the video card or on the back of the monitors.

Does this all mean that there are people actually putting some time into speededit? Amazing. Maybe there will be a 64bit Speededit3 with sony xdcam encoding? Maybe some half decent chromakeying or tracking .....hmmmm!
    raymond

Did the 24pn problem get fixed

Did the problem with playing the HPX170's 720 24pn files get fixed? The older version would play them fast. Did anyone test this?

Tool shed

also when you upgrade do you keep your tool shed prefs - if not is there a way to save/reload them?

Just Tryin' To Help...
    Tool Shed presets are preserved.
    SB Enterprises, Quincy, Illinois ~ in the backwoods of the US of A

Livematte is beyond half decent

Livematte is an excellent chromakeyer if you spend some time with it and if you've actually done a good job shooting - meaning the chroma key is a single bright & vibrant color and evenly lit, but allow me to save you the time after having done about 100 keyed backgrounds on talking heads recently, including a frizzy blonde!

See my post:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....95#post1221195

24Pn files still play fast

Checked it and the 720 24pn files out of my Panny still play fast. They play fine in adobe but fast in speed edit. I sent a file in a while ago, i thought it would be fixed. Anyone else have this problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley Eugenius View Post
    Livematte is an excellent chromakeyer if you spend some time with it . . .

See my post:

Thanks for the step by step Mutley!

OK Mutley, it would appear with your settings Livematte becomes quite a good keyer indeed. A little knowledge goes a long way. I used to get very horrible blocky keys before. Nice one.

Nonetheless let's hope NT finally start investing time into this great editor. I love how easy it is to use but wish for some of the things other editor have as standard now. A little marketing would not go amiss too. I saw Newtek at video Forum London, everything was Tricaster - not one word of the unmentionable Speededit.
    raymond

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blueisland View Post
    A little marketing would not go amiss too. I saw Newtek at video Forum London, everything was Tricaster - not one word of the unmentionable Speededit.
    I too went to the BVE and although SE wasn't really mentioned and the focus was pretty much on the TriCaster, I have to say that I really take my hat off to NewTek's engineers for what they've produced in the TriCaster.

That thing is bleedin' awesome.

NT had these two MASSIVE LED monitors with Kiki Stockhammer (swoon) keyed over the virtual sets in all her HD glory. And let me tell you, she looked AMAZING. The TriCaster's LiveMatte keying could not be faulted. I can see why NT are really pushing the TriCaster over their other products, because quite simply, for what it does, it's pretty much got that market to itself and the profit margins will no doubt be a hell of a lot better than with an offline editor.

It is a shame that SE is probably going to end up being NT's secret product, but as long as it's associated with the TriCaster, we can but hope that NT will continue to invest in it and those of us who know about it will hopefully reap it's benefits for years to come.

As Kiki Stockhammer said to me at BVE 2012.... Rock On!

Rock On indeed baby. Rock On indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutley Eugenius View Post
    ...allow me to save you the time after having done about 100 keyed backgrounds on talking heads recently, including a frizzy blonde!

See my post:

Thanks a million; terrific contribution, there, Mutley!
    Q1

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast