Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Speed Modelling Challenge #155 – Hats & Headwear

Exclamation Speed Modelling Challenge #155 – Hats & Headwear

Speed Modelling Challenge #155 – Hats & Headwear.
    Rules:

1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modeling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
    2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
    3. LightWave must be used for modeling. 3rd party Plug ins are allowed.
    4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
    5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.

This week's topic is : Hats & Headwear

Time Limit - 60 minutes. Something that makes you look mean, something that makes you just that bit more of a gentelman, something which makes you look cool, something that makes you look utterly insane or stupid, or something with more practical uses like keeping your head warm Bring em' on and I'll take my hat of too ye

Deadline: Wed. 18th January 2012. 22:00 G.M.T

A straw weave hat (it's not mine!).

Last edited by XswampyX; 01-12-2012 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Edit for wires.

Stuck in a very big cube Waves of light's Avatar
    Cool hat.

I can see how that was created. Could that been done in 60mins with a bit of forward planning? I did a tennis racket once, and I presume the mesh would be similar... just knowing when and where the bends occur.

Have an idea for this week's comp.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

its like the tutorial for the mic mesh. same technique I think.
    Oobievision

Hat

Sweet XswampyX !

Once created one of these. Remade it in about 40 mins total.

wires:
    Last edited by chco2; 01-13-2012 at 02:07 PM.
    “It's amazing the way people cling to insults. Or what they think are insults.”

At BLR there's the LWCAD 4.0 contest is running. I would have thought some of you guys would have entered by now.
    Most likely there will be around 6 entries in total or so.
    You guys all have LWCad 4 or you don't need/want it? Just curious.

Ciao!

Quote Originally Posted by chco2 View Post
    At BLR there's the LWCAD 4.0 contest is running. I would have thought some of you guys would have entered by now.
    Most likely there will be around 6 entries in total or so.
    You guys all have LWCad 4 or you don't need/want it? Just curious.

Ciao!
    Chco2. I wouldn't be offended. I think it's just because a lot have already got LWCAD. That's all.

Because the comp is 'what methods would have made this easier to model a building' when a lot of people have already bought the solution, because they needed the solution to better their workflow.

Systen Spec: i7 4930k (OC @4.5ghz),ASUS p9x79 MB, 32GB Ballistix RAM, H60 cooling, Samsung SSD 120GB, WD 1TB

Quote Originally Posted by Waves of light View Post
    Cool hat.

I can see how that was created. Could that been done in 60mins with a bit of forward planning?
    Nope, 15 mins after copious amounts of lager (it's Friday, so it's darts night)

http://youtu.be/NZIeJnfl4Fg

I've redone it for you, and recorded it. Hic.

Quote Originally Posted by XswampyX View Post
    Nope, 15 mins after copious amounts of lager (it's Friday, so it's darts night)

http://youtu.be/NZIeJnfl4Fg

I've redone it for you, and recorded it. Hic.
    Excellent. I've also subscribed to your YouTube channel.

borkalork BORKALORK! biliousfrog's Avatar
    I was at a loose end today so I thought I'd have a go at my first speed model...

I was going to model a baseball cap but I couldn't find mine so I modelled another cap I had lying around. I made several attempts at rail-cloning some stitching but eventually gave up. Not counting the stitching attempts it was about 30 minutes in total then I spent a little while playing around in Layout.

OT, is the AA broken in 10.1? This is the first thing I've rendered in it and I had to ramp up the settings way past what I'd normally use to get rid of jagged edges. I'm hoping 11's new AA stuff improves things otherwise I'm going back to 9.6.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cap.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	659.5 KB 
ID:	100929  
    Attached Files Attached Files

AA isn't broken afaik, just changed. Use some adaptive sampling or mimic the old AA by using an oversample of around 0.5, or do both oversampling AND adaptive..

Quote Originally Posted by biliousfrog View Post
    I was at a loose end today so I thought I'd have a go at my first speed model...

I was going to model a baseball cap but I couldn't find mine so I modelled another cap I had lying around. I made several attempts at rail-cloning some stitching but eventually gave up. Not counting the stitching attempts it was about 30 minutes in total then I spent a little while playing around in Layout.

OT, is the AA broken in 10.1? This is the first thing I've rendered in it and I had to ramp up the settings way past what I'd normally use to get rid of jagged edges. I'm hoping 11's new AA stuff improves things otherwise I'm going back to 9.6.

All look great. Especially like the top hat choc2.

Nice advice and nice hats guys. Love the Indian Headgear!

A Greek helmet. About an hour. The texture is from one of Kuzeys free models.

@XswampyX: Wow. Very nice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast