Thread: Vector vs. 3D

Vector vs. 3D

Can someone please take a minute and explain something that I continue to struggle with? It's embarrassing to admit that I just don't get the modeling process in terms of editing individual points. I think my problem is that I want to treat them like vector drawings. I think of points in LW as nodes in Coreldraw and I want to break and join them as easily as I can in Corel. I think what confuses me is the fact that a point in LW can have many segments coming from it, where in Corel it can only have two.

Let's say I create a square (box) with no depth and a disc (the same width as the square) with no depth. Both the square and the disc exist on the same plane in Z, and the top of the square bisects the disc to form a shape that resembles a mailbox door. I use Boolean/Add to combine them. How do I get rid of the horizontal line segment that was originally the top of the square?

I've read what the LW manual says about points and polys many times and looked at the tutorials online, but I am still stumped and frustrated.

I'm totally sure I'm overlooking the obvious and making this more difficult than necessary. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Carl

Ok one of many ways (and there are a lot) would be to select the points highlighted in the image below(assuming it looks something like the image) and delete them, then select both the polygons and hit shift + z to merge them both into 1.

There are lots of other ways to do it tho.

James..
    Last edited by Skonk; 02-22-2009 at 06:37 AM.
    uh wha?

Talking

Thanks James- that was exactly what I was trying to accomplish. Either I described it very well or you did a screen grab from my machine! Is there also a way to select one of the points on that top horizontal line, break it apart and then delete the line? - or doesn't it work like that?

Thanks again,

Carl

Talking

Thanks James- that was exactly what I was trying to accomplish. Either I described it very well or you did a screen grab from my machine! Is there also a way to select one of the points on that top horizontal line, break it apart and then delete the line? - or doesn't it work like that?

Thanks again,

Carl

Im not 100% sure what u mean, but if u mean the bottom of the square then that will vanish when u merge the polygons. If thats not what u mean could u maybe take a screen shot and draw onto it the line u mean

James..
    uh wha?

OK- I'll try to explain it better. The square is made up of 4 points. Is there a way I could delete one point and not end up with a triangular polygon, but an open curve with three segments?

I do this with 2D polys in COrel all the time, but is this a practical, necessary, or useful method for editing 3D objects?

Thanks,

Carl

U could hit "k" to kill the polygon leaving only the points, then select 2 points (that would form a line) and hit "p" to create a polygon between them, do that for each line. that will make 3, 2 point polygons. U could also try hitting ctrl + p instead of just p to make splines.

James..
    uh wha?

Cool. I can see that. Thanks for the tips!

I've owned LW since 5.0, and have done a couple of simple animations over the last few years, but I don't get much call for 3D modeling in my freelance jobs. I learn by doing, more than reading, so I think that's why my skills aren't up to my Photoshop or Coreldraw skills, which I use everyday.

ah, maybe someday....

Thanks,

Carl

One thing you might check out is my 3 month Intro to Lightwave Online course. It starts from points and works its way up to a fairly complex project. Its over 30 hrs of quicktime movies plus online support.
    http://www.splinegod.com/introtolightwave.html