Thread: SubD Circles

SubD Circles

Hi everyone and Merry almost Christmas,

I'm working in subpatch mode and I'm not sure how to get a circle out of a subpatched quad. I see a lot of great work with a subpatched quad being extruded to produce cylindrical objects that actually look round. I'm getting something close to round but it's obvious that the object isn't quite round. I read in a thread that subpatch has problems taking a cube and making it almost a sphere but not quite. How are you guys working around this to produce the great modeling I see in the forums? Thanks as always!

Richard
    Mac Pro Dual Quad Core, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA QuadroFX 2000 2GB Ram, 2 TB HardDrive LW 2019

I Wished My Brain Came With A Manual... I could look up everything I've learned sorted by topic...

As far as I know you can't have it good enough with 4 sided. Try with an 8 sided at least.
    It will never be a circle, it will just deceive you better.

Cheers

It'll be the first time I wouldn't mind being deceived... Thanks for the input!

Richard
    Mac Pro Dual Quad Core, 6 GB RAM, NVIDIA QuadroFX 2000 2GB Ram, 2 TB HardDrive LW 2019

I Wished My Brain Came With A Manual... I could look up everything I've learned sorted by topic...

OK, I see that I'll have to start with an eight sided disc and that will give me the rounded quads that holds up when rotated. Thanks again for the insight. Without the forum I would really be lost.

Richard

The information in this thread is worth bookmarking if you're doing a lot of subd modeling.
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel

Please go to and download the free quad modeling videos at this site. Also consider purchasing the others. All your questions will be answered.

http://www.pixelandpoly.com/video.html

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Hebert View Post
    OK, I see that I'll have to start with an eight sided disc and that will give me the rounded quads that holds up when rotated. Thanks again for the insight. Without the forum I would really be lost.

Richard
    Have a look at the links in my sig. That will also help you sort out SubD work. Obviously you'll have to get past circles into more complex shapes. But you are on the right track by trying to understand the fundamentals first.

Goes bump in the night RebelHill's Avatar
    Yup... but doesnt have to be a disc you use to start.

Draw a perfect square (4 verts), subdivide, using metaform, hit tab. 4 quads, perfect circle.
    LSR Surface and Rendering Tuts.
    RHiggit Rigging and Animation Tools
    RHA Animation Tutorials
    RHR Rigging Tutorials
    RHN Nodal Tutorials
    YT Vids Tuts for all

@nickdigital
    Were you going to put a link?

Quote Originally Posted by RebelHill View Post
    Yup... but doesnt have to be a disc you use to start.

Draw a perfect square (4 verts), subdivide, using metaform, hit tab. 4 quads, perfect circle.
    Well thats an 8 sided shape, and the way you are going it's not even close to a circle (doesn't result in a disc) and even when it is, it's not ''perfect'' it will always be an approximation. Only that the more cage point you have the closer to a circle will be.

Another issue with SubD circles is that they don't have the exact radius of the disc cage, they bulge in.
    Here are some values you can size your cage into depending on the number of sides. But this of course, is just if such precision is needed. Normally it isn't.
    Last edited by probiner; 12-19-2011 at 07:24 AM.

Thanks Probiner,

While great precision isn't needed right now (I'm not doing CAD work) the info. helps me to understand what's to be expected and why. Thanks again.

I am hesitant to post in the presence of the experienced ones posting above. But I'd like to mention restraining loops. Attached is a model of a (for all but precise work) round circle and cylinder with 4 sides. As you can see the structure shape is controlled by loops placed close to either side of change of direction. It's used all the time in sub-d models as Probiner has used in his great illustrations. In the "low poly, close enough world" of sub-d modeling, use of these loops is crucial and felt it should be part of the discussion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4SidedSubDCyl.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	410.8 KB 
ID:	100349  

Quote Originally Posted by probiner View Post
    @nickdigital
    Were you going to put a link?
    Oops!
    http://forums.newtek.com/showthread....=polygon+table
    My opinions and comments do not represent those of my employer.
    Profile piece
    2010 Reel
    'The X's' Reel