Thread: Best way to create collision meshes.

Best way to create collision meshes.

I am working with fairly detailed large scale models ~6,000-10,000 polys for use in gaming. I need to create accurate collision meshes for buildings and such so that characters can not walk through walls...etc... The problem is that if I simply copy the model meshes and use it as a collision mesh it kills the game engine (Torque) because of the complexity of calculation with such high count collision meshes, and if I use QEMLOSS to lower the poly count, the engine does not crash, but the model will not be fully covered by the mesh => charaters can walk through random walls.

Does any one have any sugestions on this? Any help is appreciated.

colision = IMPACT ROX

Do you try to use MDmetaplug and MDSCAN. I never did use, but I heard very good stuffs about it for calculate colisions and replace your model after calculed.

excuse my english.

cheers
    V a l t e r . S i l v e i r a
    3D Artist - Editor
    http://valtersilveira3d.blogspot.com

Doesn't the Torque engine have a poly limit for collisions?
    ImageReality.com

"Relax...it's just an update for the patch to fix the nerf that nerfed the fix for the update of the patch that broke the fix that was fixed."

Late 2013 MacPro 12 Core

Volter >>> Thanks, I will look into those.

WizCracker >>> No, Torque does not have a poly limit in the true sense, but it does as far as performance... it has been suggested to stay below 32 polys per mesh... but I thin that that is 32 rendered/calculated polys, so something this large if done right could have quite a bit more.