Thread: Simple PiP

Simple PiP

I'm looking for a simple PiP solution that I can use at sporting events. I want to take a camera dedicated to the scoreboard, and use adjustable pip function to overlay on my main cameras. Any ideas??? I was able to do this with my old video switcher, but I can't seem to find a solution with my Tricaster Studio.

I too am looking for this functionality. What upsets me is that it seems the only way to do this is with Aura (which isn't sold) or Lightwave 3D (which I don't have) or a Virtual Set Editor (which costs $1000).

I'm very very disappointed that this simple video cropping and overlay feature that is common on every video switcher I've used in the past is not part of the basic functionality of the Tricaster Studio. Our school doesn't have the money to spend on such expensive solutions considering we bought an $8000 piece of equipment that boasted itself as a feature-rich video switcher. I can only pray that someday someone will make something available that will allow this to happen with an adjustable frame that can basically crop the input to size and reposition it on the screen as needed.

It seems there are a lot of people that will make you a custom piece of artwork for this, but as stated, our school doesn't have the money to spend on something like this - but perhaps you do.

Quote Originally Posted by mlcjohnson16 View Post
    ...or a Virtual Set Editor (which costs $1000).
    Just for clarity, VSE is of no use with respect to the type of LiveSets used by Studio and Broadcast. (And, since VSE has come up, not that it is not required for simple PiP applications with an XD series TC.)

Quote Originally Posted by mlcjohnson16 View Post
    I can only pray that someday someone will make something available that will allow this to happen with an adjustable frame that can basically crop the input to size and reposition it on the screen as needed.

It seems there are a lot of people that will make you a custom piece of artwork for this, but as stated, our school doesn't have the money to spend on something like this - but perhaps you do.
    A plugin that could easily do simple PiP LiveSets quickly might well be useful, but just to mention it, the real 'problem' is that almost everyone's needs in this respect are different. But given your circumstances, it wouldn't surprise me if someone would knock one off for you without cost if you posted a mockup image showing exactly what you need. You won't be able to modify it on the fly, of course.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Thanks Steve! I actually found out on another similar post that VSE is not useful for our Studio. In the same thread someone mentioned the possibility of making a simple feature with Lightwave 3D. I have found a friend who actually has that product for their system, so now I'm trying to figure out how to create a PiP with lightwave. Let me know if that's impossible as well

Thanks again!
    JJ

You can do it with LW, but I've always felt it was a lot easier/faster with Aura ... the problem being finding a copy of it, and getting your head around the UI.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator
    ("You've got to ask yourself one question ... 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, spammer?")

Yeah - I've been hearing a lot about Aura, but not sure where to go about obtaining a copy as you said. I'm not even sure I know the entire name of the software. But it sounds like you have to buy another piece of older equipment to get it bundled.

JJ

That is the entire name.

If you go hunting for 'used' copy, make sure it's Ver. 2.x. You're also correct that you can find it bundled with any VT system from VT[2] on, though it requires the VT card to be installed as a 'dongle'.
    --
    Regards, Steve
    Forum Moderator